Firefly/Serenity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefly/Serenity

Any fans of the sci-Fi show Firefly or its movie Serenity out there? I've recently become a fan of the show since I borrowed the movie from a dorm mate. Since then I've bought the Collector's Edition of the movie and I plan to go out and look for the series DVD at the local Hastings.

I'd never even heard of Firefly until Sci-Fi started showing it before their "Sci-Fi Friday" line up in '05. I caught a few episodes (the latter ones, Heart of Gold/Objects in Space) and so I never really understood it too much. When the movie actually opened up, I saw maybe two commercials for it, neither of which made a whole lot of sense.To me, it looked like it was some lame martial arts meets Sci-Fi movie and I wasn't impressed. It also did help that to see it, I'd have to drive about 30 minutes away to get to the AMC theater and I didn't have a car of my own at the time.

Fast forward to now and I'm a pretty big fan, but I just don't understand how it failed. Everyone I've talked to really enjoyed it, I enjoyed it. How could it have failed so badly? I'm not just talking about Sci-Fi people, but people who don't really give a damn about it as fans (or Browncoats as they're called apparently) and just liked the movie. I hear the advertising was less then stellar (and from experience I'd say it is true) and it was probably limited release since I would have had to drive to KC to get to a theater which was playing it. I suppose they also marketed it as "From the creator of Buffy", which turned me and probably some others off on it as well. I'm just not a fan and if that was the best thing it had going for it...

Anyway, that's in the past now. I'm disappointed it won't be coming around again (some new comics are coming out or some such, but I refuse to get comic books on general principle). A real pity.
    And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
    Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
    Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
    Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

I love it! I watch the series about once a year. I also didn't hear about it until the movie came out. And only heard about the movie because a friend dragged me along. I didn't even know it was a sci fi until the movie started.

I hear that the network didn't give it a chance. The producer had it as a pet project. He was on the payroll and not doing anything so they figured that they may as well get some work out of him and let him play with it. However, they didn't advertise it and kept changing time slots. The network just plain wasn't interested. Too bad.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Yeah; I'm glad I found it online free, or I probably would have simply left it at the movie. Now that I've watched the show, I've gotten pretty into it. Planning on leaving soon to go see if they've got the series in town.

Comment

double post (darn cat)
        Last edited by PatBC; 25 Feb 08, 12:50.
        FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

I am fan. I own both Firefly and Serenity. Joss Whedon is a brillant writer.

His is the creator/writer/director/productor of Buffy.

the Network really messed up the firefly series. He filmed the pilot they liked the idea and bought the series. Two weeks before the airdate for the first episode the network told him they wanted a new pilot. So he wrote and filmed it in a week. The oriignal pilot that explained the story background and who the characters were was the tenth episode shown.

Every time Joss wrote a story line that continued into a following episode the network would show them in reverse order.
          Last edited by PatBC; 25 Feb 08, 12:48.

Comment

Yeah, I really like this series and its universe (though I think its spelled Joss Whedon). I once took affront at Serenity because a reviewer compared it to Star Wars, but since I saw Episode III I'm inclined to at least say Serenity is miles ahead of the new Star Wars stuff (and the supplements, I don't much care for that) and I'm probably a bigger fan of this then the Star Wars Galaxy.

Not sure if I care much for "Buffy" or his other work though; don't really want to give that a chance. It seems a bit nerdy (nerdier then I'd like to go) and I think they're canceled or finished now so why get involved in something that's dead too? Just makes me sadder at Firefly's fate.

Oddly enough I think I liked all the characters, which is a first for me. Usually in a show/movie I like a few of the good guys and the rest just make me annoyed.

Comment

Summer Glau who played River is now a terminator in the Sarah Connor chronicles.

Comment

Yeah, not sure if I want to get in on that. I'm not a huge Terminator fan to be completely honest, though I would like her (and all other cast members) to see some success. I know Wash was in Dodgeball and 310 to Yuma.

In you opinion, is the Sarah Connor Chronicles worth looking into? Only person I know (off the internet) who is a fan of it, also happens to creep me out and can sometimes be stalker-like. So that might be poisoning me against it as well.

Comment

I think the potential is there. besides I like watching Summer Glau, her character is alot like River. I am watching to see where it goes. There is changes from the movie history but that is no big surprise. The TV show takes place after the events of T2.

Comment

Yeah; Summer Glau does seem to have that emotionally deprived young girl who can kick your ass down pretty well, no?

Comment

On a side note, Walmart and the local Hastings didn't have it. Pity; I guess I'll order it online.

I saw somewhere there's a new fan based thing to get the series revived (I really think it is dead for good this time), but it is basically sending the studio a letter showing what you'd bought of the show's merchandise and explaining you'd buy more-sort of a "I'm a cash cow, for the love of God milk me" approach.

Comment

The fans got the movie released. The Network figured the series was dead so they would put it on DVD and maybe make a little money. It quickly became the hottest selling DVD on Amazon and stayed in the top 10 DVD for months.

That is why the Network decide they would try a movie.

http://www.fireflyfans.net/amazon.asp

I think it is dead this time all of the actors are in other roles now.

Comment

Still, do they think there's any real hope of lightning striking twice? With that ending it made some room open for a sequel
                          but look at the rest of it
                          how are they really going to make another movie without them?

Edit: I'm naturally pessimistic; so if they're going to keep trying more power too 'em. I hope they win, I just think that the "Browncoats" are going to actually live up to that name this time.

Comment

This was a great series, it just happened to be on the wrong network. Fox and provocation doesn't mix.

Comment

Actually I am not a fan of space adventures movies in general but I like Firefly/Serenity very much. Although differences between series written by Whedon himself and by other guys are perceptible IMO. As for comparison with Star Wars - seems it's just different genre: Firefly is space western with lots of humor Star Wars space Chinese Tale pretending to be very serious. And Firefly is for more adult public I suppose.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X