Rejoice BSG fans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
    Sorry guys. Until today, I still don't get the attraction of BSG II. The original 1980's one, I like. This new updated one? Just don't get it.

Early B5 and all the SG1 for me for sure.
    Glad to hear you're a fan of the original BSG. I am too. I think the Colonial Warrior uniforms are way cooler than the re-imagined!

The re-imagined BSG (or BSG II, as you call it) brings the story away from Sci-Fi camp and into more of the realm you would find in a novel, or graphic novel. It is grounded in more practical theory, than fanciful "Star Wars" lite fare. But a lot of what was in the original is still there: Cylons, Lords of Kobol; Rag Tag Fleet....even rough plot lines. Where BSG I and BSG II differ is grit; the later is far more gritty and raw. No convienient planets inhabited by talking aliens, no stupid Cylons.

Both had thier pluses and minisus. The new Baltar far exceeds old Baltar. The Old Apollo is a bit better than the new Apollo. The new Cylons are dramatically better and deadlier. Lorne Greene was amazing, and I liked that he had more of a clue on the mystical nature of things; but Eddie Olmos is way better as Commander of the Fleet. Laura Roslin as the teacher turned President was perhaps the best added character to the story...lacking in the original. The inclusion of evolved (or Next Gen) Cylons was a masterstroke.

Each Is what it Is, and should be taken for that. When the Pilot miniseries came onair, I didn't like what I saw. I rebelled, as one of the few people that would admit in public that I loved the old series still. But, after it took months to get greenlighted for the initial run episodes, I had time to do a little research on it, and re-watch the miniseries with the new attitude of. "take it for what it is; not what I want it to be", and I then found I like it...actually, more than that, loved it. I met Richard Hatch a couple times, and I asked him what made him decide to accept a guest role (that turned into a recurring character), and guess what he told me: he hated the idea of re-imagining the story, but decided to "take it for what it is; not what I want it to be", and he saw a new vision applied to the story; and there was in his view, room enough on the planet for both versions.

My advice: "take it for what it is; not what you want it to be", and you may have a bunch of new DVD's to buy!
    http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
      Yeah, BSG felt like you were dropped into the middle of the story.

Is there something I should have watched before starting with the Season One DVD set?

Also, I passionately hate Science-Fiction that in any way goes back to today and/or has aliens or robots that have human form and can't be told from humans. Oh and kids :barf:
      Well, episode 1, "33" picks up where the Miniseries lessentially left off, following the exodus of the Colonies...so if you didn't see the 2-part miniseries, you missed the attack, and regrouping; hence being dropped into the story. Sounds like this is what happened? The miniseries is available by itself on DVD, though I swear it was available on the Season 1 box set.

Nothing before the 2-part miniseries, so can't give you any advice there.

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
        My advice: "take it for what it is; not what you want it to be", and you may have a bunch of new DVD's to buy!
        You're right about that. I don't hate it. I just don't get it. Too much grit for me.

What I really liked about the original BSG is the camp. It's so absurd and silly, and yet so cool, especially with the Vipers dogfighting. I still remember that absurdly simple control on the joy stick - one button for acceleration, and one for firing!

I may be betraying my age here, but I enjoyed watching Remington Steele more than I enjoy the modern CSI series, so it could be just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
          You're right about that. I don't hate it. I just don't get it. Too much grit for me.

What I really liked about the original BSG is the camp. It's so absurd and silly, and yet so cool, especially with the Vipers dogfighting. I still remember that absurdly simple control on the joy stick - one button for acceleration, and one for firing!

I may be betraying my age here, but I enjoyed watching Remington Steele more than I enjoy the modern CSI series, so it could be just me.
          I hear you. Some of my favorite stations are the old time TV show stations. Not that Remington Steele is that long ago; then again, most of the music I listened to in High School is now on the Classics station! I actually enjoyed Barney Miller more than CSI. More fun and less gore is my motto. My favorite cop show today is, NCIS.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiterook View Post
            I hear you. Some of my favorite stations are the old time TV show stations. Not that Remington Steele is that long ago; then again, most of the music I listened to in High School is now on the Classics station! I actually enjoyed Barney Miller more than CSI. More fun and less gore is my motto. My favorite cop show today is, NCIS.
            NCIS is not bad at all! I'm also a big fan of JAG, although the later episodes were becoming a bit stale. At the moment, I'm watching The Unit, and it is very very good. (You guys detecting a certain theme here? )

Maybe that's why I enjoy SG1 so much. It's a combo of sci-fi and military stuff. On top of that, Captain/Major Samantha is hot. Not the 7of9 babelicious hot, of course, but hot in a kick-ass chick kind of way. Like Mac in JAG.

Anyone remember the cheesy Buck Rogers TV series from the 80's?

Comment

"Anyone remember the cheesy Buck Rogers TV series from the 80's?"

Stop mentioning scaring events or you're getting my shrink bills
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X