Recommendations for a new War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a new War Movie

Just finished reading about the Raid on St. Nazaire. This story just begs to be made into a movie---Small but brave band of commandos sail in the early dark hours to a German occupied port, narrowly missing detection and grounding on the mud flats, then the harbour pyrotechnics of multicolored tracers as they are discovered, with the HMS Campbeltown charging towards the Normandie lock gates under heavy fire, ramming it. The coolness and gallantry of the commandos setting the charges to blow up the pump house and winding gates, the brave charge of two commandos armed only with pistols against a docked German ship to stop it's deadly fire against the landing parties, the heartbreaking destruction of the little wooden ML's and thier crews in the harbour, the heroic British gunners returning fire despite repeated wounds and dying at thier posts, and finally, the explosion of the Campbeltown that destroys the gate, with the captured commandos cheering after thier German captors having previously remarked what a foolish and futile mission it was. End with the Germans giving the fallen Commandos a burial with honors, and the captured commandoes standing at attention, fade to black, and detail the success fo the mission bottling up the Tirpitz in Norway, where it was later sunk, and then list the multitude of medals, especially the five VC's awarded to the naval and commando aiding group. It doesn't get any better than this!

Been soooo long since I saw it last, but what was the setting for the film Cockleshell Heroes?
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Raid on St. Nazaire

I know the movie you're talking about--Actually, leshell Heroes is based on a true story of a seperate commando raid, with only about 4-8 commandos were involved (Not sure which port they attacked) using kayak type boats for stealth---not quite on the same scale as the the St. Nazaire raid with 18 small ships, a destroyer and 600-plus men.

Comment

I think it was the port of Bordeaux. Down the long Garrone River...
        Currently playing:
        Operation Veritable CG (FTF) - 20N
        BtB 1 Taking Tailleville (VASL/PBEM)
        G Co/2RUR in Crete - Escape!(SASL)

Comment

I'd like to see a history of the Desert Rats made; something like Patton, showing actions and movement history.

Comment

Oh, you mean like the old 'Rat Patrol' TV Series?..... :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Washing Machine Charlie
              Oh, you mean like the old 'Rat Patrol' TV Series?..... :wink:
              Uh, no, something good.

Comment

raid on st. nazaire

I think i have seen a made for T.V. movie about the raid on St. Nazaire, i think the title is (surprisingly!) "Raid on St. Nazaire" It was one of those "B" grade movies that Doug Mclure always turned up in. (Yes, Troy Mclure from the simpsons IS based on a real life actor)

Comment

What about the Imphal campaign or something in that exotic style?
                  Nothing is so exhilarating in life as to be shot at with no result
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Commandos

Originally posted by Anonymous
                    Just finished reading about the Raid on St. Nazaire. This story just begs to be made into a movie---Small but brave band of commandos sail in the early dark hours to a German occupied port, narrowly missing detection and grounding on the mud flats, then the harbour pyrotechnics of multicolored tracers as they are discovered, with the HMS Campbeltown charging towards the Normandie lock gates under heavy fire, ramming it. The coolness and gallantry of the commandos setting the charges to blow up the pump house and winding gates, the brave charge of two commandos armed only with pistols against a docked German ship to stop it's deadly fire against the landing parties, the heartbreaking destruction of the little wooden ML's and thier crews in the harbour, the heroic British gunners returning fire despite repeated wounds and dying at thier posts, and finally, the explosion of the Campbeltown that destroys the gate, with the captured commandos cheering after thier German captors having previously remarked what a foolish and futile mission it was. End with the Germans giving the fallen Commandos a burial with honors, and the captured commandoes standing at attention, fade to black, and detail the success fo the mission bottling up the Tirpitz in Norway, where it was later sunk, and then list the multitude of medals, especially the five VC's awarded to the naval and commando aiding group. It doesn't get any better than this!
                    I think the whole concept of Commandos since its inception in 1940 would warrant a movie or rather a miniseries like what Band of Brothers (BoB) did for American paratroopers. There were lots of action and interesting characters in that outfit, like 'Mad Jack' Churchill who went into raids wielding a claymore or the Lord Lovat and his bagpipes. As Richard Winters is the main protagonist in BoB, my favourite at the moment is Peter Young, who at the outbreak of the War worked in a bank while being a reserve 2nd lieutenant in the Royal Navy. He joined the Commandos in 1940 and then participated in most of the actions: both the raids on the Atlantic coast as well as in NW Europe as well as in SE Asia (Arakan, Burma). Six years later in 1945 he ended the war as a Brigadier General in the Commandos, having lead his units in an exemplary way.
                    I think, given the current interest in WW2 as well as the the commando actions, the diverse settings as well as the human interest and the evolving characters, it would make a wonderful movie/miniseries
                    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 18 Jan 06, 13:00.
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I would like to see a movie covering the life and operations of Otto Skorzeny.
                      Showing his libeartion of Mussolini, his kidnapping operation of Admiral Horthy, his English speaking commandos in Ardennes etc.
                      But I know such a movie will never be made. Cause Skorzeny is SS and SS is evil. So Skorzeny is evil too.
                      "A nation which makes the final sacrifice for life and freedom does not get beaten." - Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

I WANT A TANK MOVIE! My favorite ground weapon has long been snubbed by Hollywood, playing only a supporting roll at best. I would love to see good tank vs. tank warfare on the big screen. I also agree that the raid on St. Nazaire would make a good movie. If you're a gamer, Medal of Honor: European Assault has an entire segment devoted to it. It's a bit of a stretch (they have you preforming all the historical objectives single handed when in reality each individual team handled a different one) but loads of fun.
                        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

How about Red Storm Rising...Tom Clancy...talk about a cast of thousands!! A true epic.
                          The free world knows, out of the bitter wisdom of experience, that vigilance and sacrifice are the price of liberty.
                          Dwight D. Eisenhower
                          April 16, 1953

Comment

Originally posted by Robin
                            What about the Imphal campaign or something in that exotic style?
                            Ever seen Merrils Marauders?

or

Never So Few?

Both in that neck of the woods.
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I would second that stories about "Mad JacK" Churchill or Otto Skorzeny would be quite interesting. I would add P.I. "Pappy" Gunn as a life story that deserves a wider audience...............

On a larger scale the valient, but often overlooked stand in the "Admin Box" could be a 20th century "Zulu".
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X