No announcement yet.

Old guys and their movies :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've a term in Singapore and Taiwan for the young MTV generation - the Strawberry Generation. Looks nice on the outside, but soft on the inside - easily bruised and won't stand up to any hardship.

We worry about the next generation - they're not as tough as our parents were, not as enterprising, much more self-centered and much less street-smart. Instead, they would rather spend time and money enjoying themselves or making themselves look pretty.

The current economic downturn may be a good thing. Hopefully, it'll train up another generation of tough go-getters like the Great Depression toughened up the Greatest Generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
      We've a term in Singapore and Taiwan for the young MTV generation - the Strawberry Generation. Looks nice on the outside, but soft on the inside - easily bruised and won't stand up to any hardship.

We worry about the next generation - they're not as tough as our parents were, not as enterprising, much more self-centered and much less street-smart. Instead, they would rather spend time and money enjoying themselves or making themselves look pretty.

The current economic downturn may be a good thing. Hopefully, it'll train up another generation of tough go-getters like the Great Depression toughened up the Greatest Generation.
      I hate to think of the synical remarks that this topic will bring up but I can't help but agree with you. Sometimes I think of the determination and steadfastness that came to light in England during the bad old days of the second World war both by young and old alike and shudder to think what the reaction would be in general now!!
      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
        I hate to think of the synical remarks that this topic will bring up but I can't help but agree with you. Sometimes I think of the determination and steadfastness that came to light in England during the bad old days of the second World war both by young and old alike and shudder to think what the reaction would be in general now!!
        Yeah, for some a tough day is when you can't get decent cell phone reception............ It does make you wonder!
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Oh, yeah...kids without cellphones would be the end of civilization as we know it.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Don't forget the iPods. Without iPods, civilisation would cease to exist, and we'll be back to the dark ages.

[Full Disclosure: I now own several iPods. What for? I've no idea!]

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
              Don't forget the iPods. Without iPods, civilisation would cease to exist, and we'll be back to the dark ages.

[Full Disclosure: I now own several iPods. What for? I've no idea!]
              Bring it on. The image of the young having to work hard every day fills my heart with joy.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Maurin
                Hi friends, my age is 25. Don't like old movies much. But amazingly my kid brother (18) love them!!!
                Maurin, you probably just haven't found the right ones yet - they can be an acquired taste but a number of new movies are remakes. Just find a genre you like and look for early examples.

Someday I may buy a cell phone or i-pod but for now I enjoy the "thinking time" free from interruptons.

Steve
                www.writersamuseme.com/stevepark.htm#878116944

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X