No announcement yet.

Old guys and their movies :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what films are the "young kids" watching? Other than South Park and Beavis and Butthead, of course.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

first movie I saw in a theater was the black and white "sink the bismarck"

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
        So what films are the "young kids" watching? Other than South Park and Beavis and Butthead, of course.
        Beavis and Butthead went off the air 12 years ago.

I always hated that show and I think South Park sucks too. Never thought either one was funny.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Oops!

Oh, look! It's Mary Poppins starring Britney Spears and The Back Street Boys...
          You do realize that this could be read several ways...

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

War flicks during my "yoot"

Getting back to the thread, I'm 58 and one of the B&W flicks that I remember seeing (only once at the theater) was a film called "Pork Chop Hill". I can't remember much about it except that maybe it was about a battle during the Korean Conflict.
            Several others, probably "B" movies were called(I think) "Jet Pilot", and one about a US destroyer going after a German sub, maybe called "Depth Charge"? If anyone can remember these films, please describe them and who played in them as my memory is not what it's cracked up to be!

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by jose50 View Post
              .....and one about a US destroyer going after a German sub, maybe called "Depth Charge"?
              Are you thinking of The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum as the destroyer captain and Curt Juergens as the U-boat captain?

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                You do realize that this could be read several ways...

Pruitt
                Why, whatever do you mean?

Comment

The question is still hanging, like a big, fat chad...what are younger people watching?

BTW - we are not "old farts" - we are Senior Executives for Biogas Production.

Comment

Yup!

Originally posted by michammer View Post
                    Are you thinking of The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum as the destroyer captain and Curt Juergens as the U-boat captain?
                    THAT'S THE ONE! THANKS!

IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by michammer View Post
                      That's a great flick, especially the psychological aspects.......
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

...one scene really sticks in my memory, the one where Curt Jurgens keeps looking at his watch while the lights go from white to red.
                        Don't know why, it just does.
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by jose50 View Post
                          Getting back to the thread, I'm 58 and one of the B&W flicks that I remember seeing (only once at the theater) was a film called "Pork Chop Hill". I can't remember much about it except that maybe it was about a battle during the Korean Conflict.
                          Several others, probably "B" movies were called(I think) "Jet Pilot", and one about a US destroyer going after a German sub, maybe called "Depth Charge"? If anyone can remember these films, please describe them and who played in them as my memory is not what it's cracked up to be!

Pork Chop Hill was the film adaptation of S.L.A. Marshall's book of the same name. Starred Gregory Peck. Pretty realistic for when it was made. You can pick it up on DVD for less than ten bucks.

Here's the only clip of it I could find.

Not sure about the other two movies you mentioned.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

The obvious answer to a twice repeated question to which there has been no reply is that young people do not watch anything worthwhile at all, pretty much confirming for all time what we "old farts" knew all along.: MTV rots the mind and destroys the soul.

I'm glad we got that settled.

Comment

The obvious answer to a twice repeated question to which there has been no reply is that young people do not watch anything worthwhile at all, pretty much confirming for all time what we "old farts" knew all along.: MTV rots the mind and destroys the soul.

I'm glad we got that settled.
                              I have a 12 year old daughter MM.She watches cartoons....{not so much any more}most of the younger age movies...........like that high school musical one two and three thing.She watches the animal planet a lot.she asked me last week why they no longer had reruns of the three stooges............not much different than us when we were younger.
                              the part that impresses me is she READS BOOKS more than watches TV............

Comment

My twelve year old son watches the Sci Fi channel, Discovery channel, History channel, National Geographic, and the Military channel. He likes Stargate SG1, 24, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. He also watches cartoons and such.

He also has watched the entire Band of Brothers miniseries and all three Lord of the Rings movies. He also loved Seven Samurai by Kurosawa and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

He reads voraciously and likes History and Sci Fi/Fantasy. He recently read Donald Burgetts WW2 books about the 101 Airborne in WW2 (Currahee, The Road to Arnhem, and Seven Roads to Hell). He also read the last issue of ACG magazine cover to cover.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• BorderRuffian
                                  Polls that oversample Democrats
                                  by BorderRuffian
                                  Economist/YouGov poll of July 26-28, 2020, has Biden leading Trump by 49-40

Sample size-1500

Party ID
                                  Democrat-521 (35%)...
                                  Today, 08:44
                                • casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                Working...
                                X