No announcement yet.

Old guys and their movies :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I think when younger people see a black and white film they automatically think it is crap."

I usually think if the film is NOT in black and white, it likely has too few actors worth comment in it.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Agreed, I'm actually trying to round out my collection a bit.
      Has anyone ever thought of making a war film database on this board that we can contribute to and have it broken down by conflict?
      Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
        Agreed, I'm actually trying to round out my collection a bit.
        Has anyone ever thought of making a war film database on this board that we can contribute to and have it broken down by conflict?
        I'll list my collection, and then you guys can add the 5 or 6 titles I haven't got yet

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
          I used to be all those ages y'all mentioned -- I've seen those movies and some quite a bit older (for example Alexander Nevski -- a great one! and Taras Bulba -- an even better one, not to mention all those Errol Flynn classics like Charge of the Light Brigade).

Keep showing your youthful friend those old movies!
          I'm pushing 50 myself. all of those are great films. I grew up watching war flicks on the two independent channels here in the D.C. area on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. This was long before HBO. I have also run across the notion in many younger guys of the idea that black and white films are "old nothing" flicks. If it isn't color it isn't a real movie. As for an older film, how about Paths of Glory or Dr Strangelove.
          Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
          If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Half of my B&W collection barely gets out of the 40's and early 50's actually.

Back when the cold war was scary, and the actors that could REALLY act were still young.

Comment

my 55 year old dad loves watch old movies like Dirty Dozen
              "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
              "

Comment

I'm afraid with this younger generation unless there are huge special effects and computer graphics, films are not very interesting to them. I sound like my father.
                Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                  I'll list my collection, and then you guys can add the 5 or 6 titles I haven't got yet
                  I'd call that a challenge if 90% of my collection wern't at home.
                  Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

Comment

I'm now 48, and never much cared for 'The Dirty Dozen'. Though I like Lee Mavin, especially in 'Hell in the Pacific'. I found the violence in 'Dirty Dozen' a little overdone. Though I did like 'Where Eagles Dare' and 'the Guns of Navarone.' The Devil's brigade? Saw that in the theater. I liked it better as a kid. Cliff Robertson? Yeah, about the same as PT109. Say what you want about Frank Sinatra and how he may have gotten his roles, but I think the two war movies he made 'Von Ryan's Express' and 'None but the brave' were exceptional. High on my list of priorities are music and accurate equipment. I thought 'The Blue Max' was very good. Two old war movies I would very much like to see again are 'King Rat' and I believe it's called 'Little Arrow' about a British spy. Does anyone remember a movie called 'the secret invasion?' Generally, though not without exception, I think the British have done better in this genre(war movies pre-1970) than the Americans. Why? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                      I'm afraid with this younger generation unless there are huge special effects and computer graphics, films are not very interesting to them. I sound like my father.
                      Dallas,
                      I feel your pain. Any print in B/W, no matter how good, is lost on my students. "WWII in Color" is a Gods Send for teachers.
                      My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by macgregr View Post
                        Generally, though not without exception, I think the British have done better in this genre(war movies pre-1970) than the Americans. Why? I don't know.
                        I've noticed that as well. Course I've never been a big Cliff Robenson fan.
                        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

Comment

The youth of today don't like B&W films because they know little or nothing about the making of films, or the different approach needed to convey mood and character without color. Besides, to them, history isn't "cool", which shows precisely how little they know about pretty much everything.

The B&W directors were masters of their trade who also had to rely a lot more on decent acting without the vast special effects industry that now dominates the majority of films made today.

My father is a WWII veterna, and he pretty much stopped watching films whwen Hollywood began substituting, blood, sex and profanity for acting and decent plots. He knows next to nothing about today's films and actors, but he mines the local rental place for good stuff to watch, watches the classics that he remembers, and constantly asks for my views on various films that might be suitable to see. I am happy to day that I have introduced him to many new films, although he absolutely will not watch anything with Harrison Ford in it, despite my best efforts.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
                            [Snip]although he absolutely will not watch anything with Harrison Ford in it, despite my best efforts.
                            Why is that? He is one of the few really good actors left now-a-days. Is it because of Star Wars? Just curious.....

If my Dad was still alive it sounds like your Dad and mine would get along famously, hehe.
                            http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                              I'm pushing 50 myself. all of those are great films. I grew up watching war flicks on the two independent channels here in the D.C. area on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. This was long before HBO. I have also run across the notion in many younger guys of the idea that black and white films are "old nothing" flicks. If it isn't color it isn't a real movie. As for an older film, how about Paths of Glory or Dr Strangelove.
                              I just stumbled across this old thread and it looks like Dallas and myself grew up watching the same DC area channels. Lots of great WW II movies you only find on AMC any more, plus IIRC gladiator movies on Saturday nights.

My dad was a WW II vet and a history major so I was exposed to a lot as a kid. We went to the movies 3-4 times a month together (without Mom) and saw lots of action movies that left a lasting impression with me. I have a fondness for some classic B&W films that if they would have been made in color wouldn't have the same impact.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Well, the first war movie I remember seeing in a theater was Randolph Scott in Seventh Cavalry in 1956. Now that Randolph Scott was an actor.
                                Boston Strong!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X