Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw a great movie the other night!

So I thought I'd pass it on.

Joyeux Noel is based on the famous unofficial Christmas Truce that took place in No-mans Land in 1914, and I believe this is the first feature film to be done on this footnote of history.

The film is French, with dialog in German, French and English and the DVD has an English sub-title feature. The photography was stunning and the equipment and uniforms appear to have been well researched.

The story line was altered for dramatic purposes, of course, but not too far off and covered the events leading up to the truce, the truce itself, and the backlash for treasonus actions levied by the not so jolly brass.

I really enjoyed it and think others might as well.
    ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
    ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

If this is the one where a couple are singers and end up going to the other side so they could be together, (which was just a small part of the movie)
    then yes, i saw it, and was excellent true story that i never knew about.
    Well worth seeing, very good.
    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
      If this is the one where a couple are singers and end up going to the other side so they could be together, (which was just a small part of the movie)
      then yes, i saw it, and was excellent true story that i never knew about.
      Well worth seeing, very good.
      They even had the soccer match between the Scottish and the German troops.
      Historical note: The Germans won!
      ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Whats the name of the movie...I'll see if I can pick this one up somewhere...
        Of everything, I like the 1914 Truce because its cool to show that even when your fighting someone... doesn't mean you can't take a break and sing some songs with the other guys.

(Cybe, you and Luft seem to be movie people)
        I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

I actually just saw this movie two weeks ago and I'd recomend it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
            Joyeux Noel is based on the famous unofficial Christmas Truce that took place in No-mans Land in 1914, and I believe this is the first feature film to be done on this footnote of history.
            Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
            Whats the name of the movie...I'll see if I can pick this one up somewhere...

Comment

You're a Smartenassen Boonie(see above). Love it.
              ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Saw it loved it. Really liked the start where the three kids are reciting the same basic piece in French, German and English about how the other country is the enemy.
                War. Young men killing each other for the benefit of old men!

Comment

Originally posted by leatchy View Post
                  Saw it loved it. Really liked the start where the three kids are reciting the same basic piece in French, German and English about how the other country is the enemy.
                  It was a stunning prelude to the direction the film was about to take, made even more effective through the voices of children.

This film was discussed recently at work and one point made was that despite national preference, this is one war film where the viewer would be hard pressed to cheer on any one side against the other. The enemy was not those in the opposing trench, but the war itself.
                  ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

Comment

Originally posted by cyberia View Post
                    It was a stunning prelude to the direction the film was about to take, made even more effective through the voices of children.

This film was discussed recently at work and one point made was that despite national preference, this is one war film where the viewer would be hard pressed to cheer on any one side against the other. The enemy was not those in the opposing trench, but the war itself.
                    Even the gungho ex-digger at work liked it. That's saying something!
                    War. Young men killing each other for the benefit of old men!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X