Korean War movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean War movies

There are some good movies out there for the overlooked war, but there ought to be a lot more. The bad thing is that people haven't picked up on all the themes they could get out of the war.
    Anyway Pork Chop Hill is easily the best of them. It's really one of the best war movies ever made, and the story is completely true.

I don't know how many people liked it but the actual Korean movie Tae Guk Gi was pretty good action wise and it covered some facts as well. Sometimes the hand to hand fighting looked more like Civil War combat but still fun to watch. The one technical part that bugged me was when the guy stepped on a tank mine and blew his leg off: I don't think a 150lb guy is going to set off an AT mine. The movie gets implausible towards the end but I think they are just trying to tell too many stories. They should have made two movies in that case.

I agree. I bought this one at a used book store and thought it was pretty good until the end when it went way over the top.

Comment

I really enjoyed Tae Guk Gi. I saw it in the theatre and bought the DVD a few months later. I hold off on judging the implossibility. If I didn't I'd never be able to watch anything out of Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
        I really enjoyed Tae Guk Gi. I saw it in the theatre and bought the DVD a few months later. I hold off on judging the implossibility. If I didn't I'd never be able to watch anything out of Hollywood.
        I enjoyed it also.

Anybody seen this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091045/

Field of Honor
        Korea: 1951. The Dutch mercenary sergeant De Koning has problems controlling his troops. They commit all kind of atrocities against the Korean population. After an attack by Chinese forces, De Koning is left alone. Days of difficult situations follow, and he meets a young Korean woman farmer, who desperately tries to keep her little brother alive. The image of the boy in shock changes De Koning.

Stars Everett McGill. He filmed this one right around the time he was in Heartbreak Ridge with Eastwood.
        Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Yeah, okay... a bit of a cliche, but I really like the original M*A*S*H movie. If you've watched the show but never seen the movie, it's worth finding a copy. Still humorous, but a much "darker" humor than the TV series.

I'm actually a little inspired to go and read the book that the movie is based on.
          "I am not an atomic playboy."
          Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Men of the Fighting Lady and Retreat Hell are worth watching.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I have heard rumblings over the years about making a new one focusing on the Chosin/Changjin reservoir....and rumors about the stand the small marine company did at TokTong Pass in the area...but nothing firm.
              I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

Has anyone seen the recent (Korean) movie about soldiers actually stationed at the 38th parallel? It got some flak for showing the NKs as being too nice, but it apparently had good production values and I'd like to see it.

I found it: It's called Joint Security Area.

http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/drama/jsa/jsa.html
                Last edited by Swampwolf; 12 Oct 07, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
                  I have heard rumblings over the years about making a new one focusing on the Chosin/Changjin reservoir....and rumors about the stand the small marine company did at TokTong Pass in the area...but nothing firm.
                  That would make a good movie ... same with the British Army's Gloucestershire Regiment at the Imjin River in 1951 (750 British soldiers vs 10,000 Chinese).

Im glad that Tae Guk Gi/Brotherhood of War is a good movie. I should be getting it from Netflix anyday now ...

Comment

The best war movie of Korean war for me is "Men in War" made in 1957.
                    It even has a young Sgt Saunders in it.
                    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                      That would make a good movie ... same with the British Army's Gloucestershire Regiment at the Imjin River in 1951 (750 British soldiers vs 10,000 Chinese).
                      I don't think the west has enough patriotism to make a movie like this. Even more damagingly true (to certain parties): the Glorious Glosters fought to the bitter end and almost to the last man, including the Chaplains. With the way the new Alamo turned out, I'm not so sure we can even do a last stand movie anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                        I don't think the west has enough patriotism to make a movie like this. Even more damagingly true (to certain parties): the Glorious Glosters fought to the bitter end and almost to the last man, including the Chaplains. With the way the new Alamo turned out, I'm not so sure we can even do a last stand movie anymore.
                        That is very true and unfortunate There are many times were I am almost ashamed to be an American because of how some of my fellow countrymen/women act. We are raising entire generations of people who have no belief in this country and who think patriotism is bad, the government is evil and terrorism is something that is made up by the CIA to control us, etc etc and they have no clue about the cost in blood, sweat and tears to build this nation (the US) into what it is today.

If they were to make a movie about the Korean War today they would have to find some way to make the Communist forces look like the good guys and the UN forces into the bad guys led by the evil imperialist Americans complete with scenes comparing MacArthur to Hitler and the Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                          . With the way the new Alamo turned out, I'm not so sure we can even do a last stand movie anymore.
                          Oh God Yes. That movie was wrong on so many levels. They used that stupid Hollywood cliche about "we can't take all of you prisoners" and even worse, they made David Crocket look like a Wimp!!

DAVID CROCKET a wimp!! Give me a break. That movie was so wrong.

Comment

The Bridges at Toko-Ri

Panthers and Able Dogs...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                              That is very true and unfortunate There are many times were I am almost ashamed to be an American because of how some of my fellow countrymen/women act. We are raising entire generations of people who have no belief in this country and who think patriotism is bad, the government is evil and terrorism is something that is made up by the CIA to control us, etc etc and they have no clue about the cost in blood, sweat and tears to build this nation (the US) into what it is today.

If they were to make a movie about the Korean War today they would have to find some way to make the Communist forces look like the good guys and the UN forces into the bad guys led by the evil imperialist Americans complete with scenes comparing MacArthur to Hitler and the Nazis.
                              Don't even lump me in that group Not sure where your getting your news from but i don't know anybody who thinks like that.

Macarthur as a Hitler?? Holy smokes dude what you been smoking? You seem to forget it was him who modernized Japan and saved its way of life.

And yes just like any army USA is not perfect, but i'll bet if you ask any S. Korean if they wished they were all N. Koreans , They would say no.
                              Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X