The White Countess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Countess

This film is trying to be Casablanca set in Shanghai. A subtle love story at a time and place on the brink of World War II. Subtle because the Love story part seems less important than the changes about to happen to the world of the principle characters. Not a bad film. Not as good as Casablanca but not bad.

The interesting thing about this film is that it was actually filmed in Shanghai. The film makers had to sign an agreement with the Comrades to do this and one of the problems was English speaking Chinese actors. They needed them for the film, but few in China speak English thanks to the cultural revolution. Chinese actors who speak English are easily found in Hong Kong or Taiwan, but the agreement with the Comrades didn't allow them to use any "Free" Chinese in the film. Very nice. One wonders about filming in a place which requires such a thing in the first place.

It reminds me of when the Stones played China and were asked to change some of their lyrics and they agreed. I think mosts artists would start whining about artistic freedom if such a thing were to be asked in the USA, but in China it is OK because of cultural sensitivity. I sense the double standard again.
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 10 Oct 07, 21:15.

I almost rented it this past weekend.....admited mainly for the locale, Shanghai.
    I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
      I almost rented it this past weekend.....admited mainly for the locale, Shanghai.
      It was filmed in Shanghai but at Shanghai studios. So it is a "Back Lot" film.

I would say give it a rent. It was not great but it was good enough.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X