Scariest movie you ever saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scariest movie you ever saw

And I mean scared senseless, a movie that left you totally petrified, traumatized for life, unable to go to sleep without checking under your bed first, a movie that you fear seeing again or even think about?

PS: and no [email protected] answer like "Grease" or "Dirty Dancing" please

I agree on the Exorcist. It's still scary today, mainly because it can happen. Alien really scared me when I was a kid. I first watched in on an old B&W TV set so it made a dark movie even darker. Jaws left the greatest impression on me. I saw it when I was 7 or 8 and I had problems sleeping for months.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

What the?

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
      I agree on the Exorcist. It's still scary today, mainly because it can happen. Alien really scared me when I was a kid. I first watched in on an old B&W TV set so it made a dark movie even darker. Jaws left the greatest impression on me. I saw it when I was 7 or 8 and I had problems sleeping for months.
      Did you read my mind. Those three movies by far scared the crap out of me....mainly Alien. I remember begging my mom to let me stay up late and watch it. i am guessing I was 10-12 years old.
      Exorcist, I didn't watch that until I was 23 years old and it still freaked me out.
      Jaws is Jaws and regardless of what body of water I was swimming in i still had that thought.............what if!

CD
      "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

The problem is I have never had any trouble with obvious fiction. And being creeped and or grossed out isn't really the same as genuinely scared. The film has to be tangible to be actually scary.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Scariest movie you ever saw.

Oh God...
          The Saw Series scares me a lot.
          The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre too.
          I don't handle scary movies or roller coasters very well.

Last edited by Slug; 02 Oct 07, 22:17.
          "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
            Oh God...
            The Saw Series scares me alot.
            The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre too.
            I don't handle scary movies or roller coasters very well.

Slug,Is that why your fantasy football team is named Slug's Pansies?LOL
            If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

Without a doubt, the movie that has left the most frightening impression on me is a little-known flick from the mid-80s called Blackout.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0088816/

The basic plot is that a man murders his wife and kids, then gets in his car and drives away. He stops to pick up a hitchhiker, then not long after they are in a terrible accident and only one survives -- however, the survivor has lost his memory, and the accident and subsequent reconstructive surgery have left him unidentifiable. He assumes his identity is that of the hitchhiker, who we find out has a family of his own, and attempts to return to normal life. His memory slowly begins to return, though, and at the same time the family begins to experience frightening phone calls, mysterious shadows outside at night, that kind of thing. Very freaky.

I honestly don't remember much in the way of details about this movie, since I was pretty young when I watched it. What I recall, though, was the incredible suspense and psychological sleight-of-hand that really kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. It was, as a previous poster mentioned, tangible enough that I was severely freaked out and didn't sleep right for at least a couple weeks.

To this day, even though I don't remember much about it, I remember how totally freaked out it made me. I'm not sure I'd watch it again just out of curiosity, since it might re-awaken deeply buried mental anguish I've been able to keep down for so many years now.
              "I am not an atomic playboy."
              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Profondo Rosso not because it was particularly scary for what happened in it. But the movie left me feeling on edge from all of the tension. Ah, when Argento was a genius.
                “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Agree with The Exorcist being the scariest movie ever. Especially with the expanded version now on DVD. Still gives me the chills.

Now second would be the first Friday the 13th. Don't laugh. I was a junior in HS when this came out and there had never been anything like it before. Nothing that graphic or creepy. Remember in the first one that there was no supernatural Jason running around impervious to all weapons. It was his mom getting revenge for his earlier drowning due to the negligence of camp counselors. And when Kevin Bacon gets the arrow through his throat from under the bed, yikes!! Of course that was a great date movie. The girls were guaranteed to hold for dear life. Ah, fun times.
                  Last edited by R. Evans; 03 Oct 07, 08:17.
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                    And when Kevin Bacon gets the arrow through his throat from under the bed, yikes!!
                    One of the all time classic killings. Was that Kevin?
                    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Another one that creeped me out when I was a kid was Poltergeist

Comment

The Grudge scared the **** out of me, I had to sleep with the lights on for a week
                        "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                        "

Comment

"The Exorcist" for sure.

"Alien" scared me pretty bad when I saw it the first time.

The first "Nightmare on Elm Street" caused me to have bad nightmares for a couple of weeks.

The original "Phantasm" & "Night of the Living Dead" both creeped me out.

I remember when I was young that a move called "The Legend of Boggy Creek" (a documentary type movie about a Bigfoot-like creature who stomped around in the Louisiana bayous) used to scare the hell outta me. I watched it about a year ago when it came on TV & it is cheesy now.

Hands down for me was "Jaws". No other movie affected me as much. I refused to go swimming in lakes, rivers, & the ocean till I was into my early twenties cause I just knew that damn shark was gonna get me.
                          Last edited by hellboy30; 05 Oct 07, 10:34.
                          The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                            One of the all time classic killings. Was that Kevin?
                            It sure was. He was in Animal House and then made a couple of other ones I've never heard of and then, the original Friday the 13th. I guess you really can't get too far from Kevin Bacon.
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I've spelunked the murky depths of my childhood terrors, and come up with another low-grade spooky movie that gave me some seriously bad vibes -- Silver Bullet:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0090021/

Basically an adaptation of the Stephen King story about a werewolf... the image that still spooks me involves a big yellow kite with a smiley face on it:

A kid was flying the kite on a bright sunny day in a park or something, then the camera lingered just on the kite for a few seconds and there was this eerie background music. A scene or two later, we find that the kid had been killed by the werewolf and they show the same smiley-faced kite, broken and splattered with blood.

Major league disturbing for a kid in grade school.

In retrospect as well, both Terry O'Quinn and Everett McGill add creepiness to whatever movie they happen to be in. And Gary Busey is always good for some comic relief.
                              "I am not an atomic playboy."
                              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X