Flyboys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyboys

Just watched this the other night. I've always been drawn to WWI air combat (guess most everybody has been at one time or other, if only via Walter Mitty or Snoopy), so I wanted to see what this newer movie had to offer.

Not bad, IMO. Maybe too formulaic and shallow, but that didn't bother me. It held my interest for a couple hours and didn't feel like a waste of time.

What struck me as weird, though, was that all the German planes were Fokker Dr1s. And maybe all the Allied planes were Nieuports (I didn't watch that closely). That seems ahistorical; from what I can remember reading, aircraft types were generally more mixed than that.

The dogfight scenes seemed a little less than realistic, but they were satisfying enough. Made me want to load up my old Red Baron computer game and play it again.

If I were to register a complaint, I guess it'd be that the movie lacked credibility, portraying the Lafayette Escadrille as a squeaky-clean bunch of American heroes. Reminded me of Starship Troopers in a way.

Still, it was satisfying to watch. I'd give it a thumbs-up.
    --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

I saw it recently and would say I agree with your review. Not great but good enough for the reasons you state. Visually it was pretty good. Since I don't know what a realistic dogfight looks like it was fine for me. Don't know anything about the accuracy.

One thing the film didn't make clear and I only learned about after seeing the film was that the Lafayette escadrille was part of the French Foreign legion.

Comment

Saw it a few months ago, found it totally uninspired and boring, not to mention the awful acting (especially Jean Reno...)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Carroll View Post

What struck me as weird, though, was that all the German planes were Fokker Dr1s. And maybe all the Allied planes were Nieuports (I didn't watch that closely). That seems ahistorical; from what I can remember reading, aircraft types were generally more mixed than that.

The dogfight scenes seemed a little less than realistic, but they were satisfying enough.
        The director decide that to help the audience keep track of who was who, he made all the German planes the same type (Fokker DR1's) and the same for the Allies (Nieuport 17's). On the commentary he said if he could do it again he would do it accurately.

The movie was preview for group a airplane historians at the Oshkosh Air show. They thought the flying scenes were very realistic for animation.

(Try and find the one real airplane in the first group take-off!!!)

Comment

I liked it.

Comment

It was okay.
            War. Young men killing each other for the benefit of old men!

Comment

I liked it, didn't expect any great historical accuracy so wasn't disappointed.
              Wolster

Comment

Great family friendly war movie. The characters were shallow and formulaic (blah blah blah racist has a catharsis and main character is James Dean's father) but the movie was good for what else it was.

Comment

was there any african-american allowed to be officers (and flyers) in ww1? I really doubt it, but I would love to be wrong?

anyways, was a okaay movie. so-so acting, bad and cheesy plot. silly "evil" german" character, etc. etc.
                  "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

well i dont know if wwi planes can do all that. why was it that all the americans had one machinegun and the germans all had two but it was just as easy to shoot down a german as an american. i dont know if james franco's plane could have survived that many hits at the end. could he have really landed to help that one guy in the middle of no mans land? could you really fly with a hook? i suppose.

The movie was supposed to be based on a true story by the way so all the characters i expect are real even the black man.
                    "All Glory is Fleeting"

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
                      was there any african-american allowed to be officers (and flyers) in ww1? I really doubt it, but I would love to be wrong?

anyways, was a okaay movie. so-so acting, bad and cheesy plot. silly "evil" german" character, etc. etc.
                      Look up the name Eugene Bullard. That who they based the black man after.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                        Saw it a few months ago, found it totally uninspired and boring, not to mention the awful acting (especially Jean Reno...)
                        I saw this movie just a couple of days ago and I have to agree with Boonierat. The story was predictable and simplistic, not to mention not very historically accurate.
                        "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

What they're able to do with CGI has improved dramatically over the years but I think they've still got quite a ways to go before it'll be 100% believable. I don't think there's any way that aircraft of that era would ever be able to pull and sustain g's like is depicted and not shread/shed thier wings. I'm sure this is due as much to limit of the CGI technology as it is anything else. Predictable plot but low on the gore factor; as a previous poster mentioned: as good as it gets as for "a war movie the whole family can enjoy".
                          One thing that is more a personal beef than anything else?? For once I'd like to see an aviation-themed war movie without a love story...Pretty Please Mr. Hollywood??

Completely contrived and unbelievable, but a great way to kill an evening (and a bowl of popcorn) with the old lady. Mine actually enjoyed it, (and she hates war movies) probably because of the #^%$ love story

Cheers, Ron
                          48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
                          __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Dyess View Post
                            Look up the name Eugene Bullard. That who they based the black man after.
                            thanks! I learned something today. great guy, this bullard!
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Bullard
                            "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

I saw this a few months back.

I dident like it that much, probably because air combat is not my cup of tea. I prefer ground combat movies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X