Shake Hands With the Devil Sept 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shake Hands With the Devil Sept 28

Is this the film about General Romeo Dallaire?

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
      Is this the film about General Romeo Dallaire?
      By the trailer, it looks like a retelling of his book of the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
        By the trailer, it looks like a retelling of his book of the same name.
        It looks as if this is the case.

This man, restricted by so much, and even violated said UN doctrines to ensure the safety of Tutsis'. A few firefights ensued because of what he ordered. He did what was right when the politics of the UN and the Canadian Military said he should not have done. Honestly, General Dallaire is a hero of mine... he really is.

EDIT: I found the actual site of the film - with the hi-res version of the trailer.

http://www.shakehandswiththedevilthe...m/english.html

Comment

Hopefully the film makers did not tone down the General's criticism of the major players in this story. This film could rub some noses in the shyte good and deep if the movie is true to the book. Our US, French and Belgian members may feel a bit put out when (if the movie is not sanitised) it is revealed that the ability to stop the genocide was hindered by Washington, Paris, Brussels,...and by the UN in New York (which takes the biggest hit).

I suspect I'll being seeing this one more than once.

The general's brief bio is in the link above,....the book is a sobering read.
          Last edited by The Purist; 21 Sep 07, 21:46.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
            Hopefully the film makers did not tone down the General's criticism of the major players in this story. This film could rub some noses in the shyte good and deep if the movie is true to the book. Our US, French and Belgian members may feel a bit put out when (if the movie is not sanitised) it is revealed that the ability to stop the genocide was hindered by Washington, Paris, Brussels,...and by the UN in New York (which takes the biggest hit).

I suspect I'll being seeing this one more than once.

The general's brief bio is in the link above,....the book is a sobering read.
            We, the United States are the biggest looser here. We had the ability to intervene in a modern day "Nazi Germany". We sat idly by. We sat idly by in Rawanda. We sat idly by in Sierra Leone. We sat idly by in Liberia. We should be ashamed of oursevles that we allowed this to happen. Hell, I'm ashamed of my country.

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
              We, the United States are the biggest looser here. We had the ability to intervene in a modern day "Nazi Germany". We sat idly by. We sat idly by in Rawanda. We sat idly by in Sierra Leone. We sat idly by in Liberia. We should be ashamed of oursevles that we allowed this to happen. Hell, I'm ashamed of my country.
              In the case of Rwanda the UN's and the USA's eyes were firmly fixed on the former Yugoslavia as it imploded. In spite of the general's constant pleas for assistance he was ignored or even ordered not to act in the face of blatant war crimes and genocide. He finally had to resort to turning the media loose in the countryside to get the story out and in the public eye.

Despite doing a brilliant job and saving tens, if not hundreds of thousands of lives, he still felt he failed. It messed up the man completely, to the point where he attempted suicide and was finally retired from the army for medical reasons. I doubt he will ever come to terms with what he saw and had to stand idly by and do nothing.

The added hit is that his force was so small that had he tried, the results would have been a massacre of the UN force and an even larger scale genocide. By staying alive and "in country" his UN forces were able to create something close to safe zones and turn back some of most horrific acts.

This film could start people asking some very serious questions and I hope it does.
              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

For what it is worth after five years of peacekeeping (plus living as a white man in a black country): the atmosphere in this movie is instantaneously recognizable, to a point that I'm not sure whether I want to go watch this movie!
                In the few minutes this trailer lasted the director was able to transport me back to feelings I had all but forgotten about: from the high idealism and initial optimism via unbelief and cynicism to that sickening feeling of hopelessness, abandon, and the need to find the courage in yourself everyday again to continue with what you (hope to) know is right.

I deeply sympathise with general Dallaire and probably many other who must have felt the same way...
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Hm... it seems to be getting luke warm reviews. They say it passes on information but is lackluster, distanced, and basically lacks in dramatic emotional impact.

Comment

Withdrawn by author - wrong film.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I saw the movie today and it could not hope to tell the story in only a couple of hours. Much of the background is missing as are the initial moves that led up to the beginning of the genocide. If one goes into the movie without first reading the book or otherwise researching the depth of the story they will get an incomplete picture.

That being said, there is enough of the failures in New York, Washington, Paris, London and Brussels for the movie to portray the complete sense of despairing disbelief on the part of the Peacekeeprs in Rwanda.

This topic really does deserve a 3 or 3 1/2 hour movie (at least).
                      The Purist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X