6. Apocalypse Now (1979)
    5. Glory (1989)
    4. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    3. Platoon (1986)
    2. Patton (1970)
    1. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

What?

While I agree some of those films are good, that has to be one of the worst lists of top 10 movies ever.

Chad
    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post
      While I agree some of those films are good, that has to be one of the worst lists of top 10 movies ever.

Chad
      I agree!

At the least the creators of the list should have published their criteria for a war film to make the list (or if they did i missed it).
      All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

I do give credit to whoever made the list for one thing: They included Letters from Iwo Jima in the Honorable Mentions. I thought it was an extremely good movie that did not get nearly enough attention because it was in Japanese.

On a side note, if I ever meet the people who said in the responses below the list that Enemy at the Gates should be on there, I'm going to slap them across the face, then backhand them on the way back.
        To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
        -Werner Pluskat

Comment

I'd add to that list "Stalingrad" (1993).
          Historia Magistra Vitae.
          M. T. Cicero

Comment

Back Hawk Down
            Guns of Navarone
            Full Metal Jacket
            A Bridge too Far
            Das Boot
            Patton
            The Great Escape
            Tora Tora Tora
            The Blue Max
            Where Eagles Dare

I didn't spend too much time on this and didn't bother to order them. Some movies I would very much like to see are: Yamato( I couldn't put the book down), Port Arthur, Stalingrad, Alamein:linea de Fuoco and Kokoda. As you see I'm somewhat biased toward WW2 movies.

Comment

Chad
              No kidding. A few of them pass my snobbery viewpoint...but crimony, not Patton nor the Dirty Dozen.

Ones, mostly earlier and WW2, that come to mind at the moment for my tastes of any ranking:

The Longest Day
              Das Boot
              That one with Gregory Peck and the B-17's
              Memphis Belle
              I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

I'm partial to British war films:

The Dambusters
                Zulu
                Sink the Bismarck
                Theirs is the Glory (way better than A Bridge Too Far in my book, and with real Paras who had been at Arnhem as actors. How can anyone beat that?)

Comment

Oguku72, I am going to have to check out Theirs is Glory I really like both of the big Zulu movies....I forget which one is harder to come by than the others...not the one with Michael Caine.

In the Longest Day, wasn't the scenario with the actor Richard Todd taken and keeping that bridge (via the gliders) have some of the real deal people? heck, i though even Richard Todd was one.
                  I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

Good luck on the Theirs is the Glory. It's really hard to find. I finally had to get it from www.amazon.co.uk at a ridiculously steep price. But it's worth it.

Comment

I don't see how Stalingrad was omitted.

The only portion of that list I agree with is Glory. That is by far, one of the most well done FILMS I've ever seen... period.

Give'em hell 54th!

Comment

What about Gods and Generals?

Comment

Any list of military movies that leaves out Stanley Kubrick's "Paths Of Glory" is no list at all. <snidely>Dirty Dozen! C'mon!!
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by revans View Post
                            Any list of military movies that leaves out Stanley Kubrick's "Paths Of Glory" is no list at all. <snidely>Dirty Dozen! C'mon!!
                            Have to agree, "dirty dozen" as a choice is a bit pathetic, i would pick "a bridge too far" "downfall" or "cross of iron" above that.
                            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Thanks for reminding me. "Downfall" is a must watch.

I originally loved Saving Private Ryan, but it hasn't lasted well in my estimation over the years. Now's it's just an over-long movie with a terrific start.

I will add the following movies:

Black Hawk Down
                              Battle of Britain (another British war movie!)
                              Gettysburg (not a movie, really. More a mini-series.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X