Captain Dale Dye, USMC (retired) Biographical Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Dale Dye, USMC (retired) Biographical Information

This stuff is from the website, http://WarriorsInc.com. Dye served the same time and places as my Dad for part of Vietnam....

My military careers features a number of unconventional highlights that I have been able to draw on and use in film work. Most of these extraordinary tours or attachments grew out of my assignment as a Combat Correspondent with the United States Marine Corps. Under the guise of observing first-hand and then compiling official reports or writing feature stories, I was allowed to become involved in a very broad range of experiences. Here are some of those experiences in a rough chronological order.

INDIRECT FIRE-SUPPORT: Served as an 81mm and 60mm mortar crewman, forward observer and fire-direction center NCO.

DRILL INSTRUCTOR/TROOP HANDLER: MCRD Parris Island and Infantry Training Regiment, MCB Camp Pendleton.

MARINE COMBAT CORRESPONDENT: Vietnam 1967-68 and 1969-1970. Served primarily with 1st Marine Division and then with III MAF. Units where I kept a permanent home and served as an extra rifle NCO, Co. H, 2nd Bn., 5th Marines, Co. D, 1st Bn., 5th Marines, Co. E, 2nd Bn., 3rd Marines and Co. F, 2nd Bn., 1st Marines.

ARMORED CAVALRY ADVISOR: With ARVN 4th Armored Cavalry Regiment in Quang Ngai Province.

KOREAN MARINES: Served with 2nd Korean Marine Brigade (Blue Dragon) in southern Quang Nam Province.

ARVN AIRBORNE BRIGADE: Parachute training with Army of Republic of Vietnam Airborne Forces.

PENTAGON DUTY: Member of Secretary of Defense Staff.

PHILIPPINE MARINES: Served with Philippine Marines during my time with 1st Marine Brigade in Hawaii. Also graduated from Philippine Constabulary Ranger School at Camp Castenada, Luzon.

RESETTLEMENT CAMP NCO: Served on Guam during resettlement of Vietnamese refugees following evacuation of Pnom Penh and Saigon.

AMPHIBIOUS RAIDER COURSE: With Co. A, 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion at Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. Included submarine and rubber boat training as well as long-range reconnaissance techniques.

COMBAT ENGINEER AND DEMOLITION: Underwent training with Co. A,. 3rd Engineer Battalion in Western Pacific.

FIELD ARTILLERY: Trained on 105mm howitzers with 1st Battalion, 12th Marines at Pohakuloa Training Area in Hawaii.

JUNGLE WARFARE TRAINING AND INSTRUCTOR COURSE: Okinawa, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii and Panama Canal Zone.

RANGE OFFICER/MARKSMANSHIP INSTRUCTOR: Extra duties while attached to 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, NC.

TANK and AMPHIBIAN TRACTOR DUTY: Trained in AmTracs at 1st Marine Brigade in Hawaii and in M60A1 tanks with 2nd Tank Battalion at Camp Lejeune, NC.

MOUNTAIN LEADER/ARCTIC WARFARE: Training with 42 Commando, Royal Marines in northern Norway and with Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry above the Arctic Circle.

FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION: Trained with Legion units at Castelnaudry in France, at Calvi on Corsica and Sardinia, and at Djibouti on the Horn of Africa.

SECURITY AND STABILITY OPERATIONS: Served with 24th Marine Amphibious Unit in Beirut, Lebanon, 1982-83.

GUERILLA FORCES TRAINING: Trained forces of anti-guerilla forces in El Salvador as well as anti-Sandanista ARDE and FDN forces in Cost Rica and Honduras.

SNIPING AND DESERT OPERATIONS: Trained with Golani Brigade of Israeli Defense Forces in Negev Desert, Israel.

Bronze Star with "V" for Valor (Vietnam, 1968)

Three Purple Hearts

Meritorious Service Medal (Okinawa)

Two Navy Commendation Medals with Combat "V" Device (Vietnam and Beirut)

Navy Achievement Medal with Combat "V" Device (Vietnam)

Joint Service Commendation Medal

Air Force Commendation Medal

Combat Action Ribbon (Vietnam and Beirut)

Vietnamese Honor Medal 1st Class

Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry

Legionnaire, Order of Saint Maurice (Ancient and Honorable Order of Infantrymen)

These are the Warriors, Inc technical advisor jobs...

84 Charlie MoPic Patrick Sheane Duncan 1989 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Alexander Oliver Stone 2004 Historical Storytelling
    Born of the Fourth of July Oliver Stone 1989 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Cadence Martin Sheen 1990 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Casualties of War Brian De Palma 1989 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Dead Presidents Allen and Albert Hughes 1995 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Dogfight Nancy Savoca 1991 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Fire Birds David Green 1990 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Forrest Gump Robert Zemeckis 1994 Academy Award for Best Picture
    Heaven and Earth Oliver Stone 1993 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Invaders from Mars Tobe Hooper 1986 Just For Fun
    Jacob's Ladder Adrian Lyne 1990 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    JFK Oliver Stone 1991 Historical Storytelling
    Last of the Mohicans Michael Mann 1992 Historical Storytelling
    Low Down Dirty Shame Keenen Ivory Wayans 1994 Just For Fun
    Natural Born Killers Oliver Stone 1994 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Outbreak Wolfgang Petersen 1995 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Platoon Oliver Stone 1986 Academy Award for Best Picture
    Rules of Engagement William Friedkin 2000 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Saving Private Ryan Steven Spielberg 1998 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Sgt. Bilko Jonathan Lynn 1996 Just For Fun
    Small Soldiers Joe Dante 1998 Just For Fun
    Sniper Luis Llosa 1993 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Starship Troopers Paul Verhoeven 1997 Just For Fun
    The Beast Kevin Reynolds 1988 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    The Fourth War John Frankenheimer 1990 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    The Great Raid John Dahl 2005 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    The Music Within Steven Sawalich 2006 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    The Thin Red Line Terrence Malick 1998 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    The Tiger and the Snow (La Tigre e la Neve) Roberto Benigni 2005 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    The War Jon Avnet 1994 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Tigerland Joel Schumacher 2000 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Wag the Dog Barry Levinson 1997 Just For Fun
    Walking Dead Preston A. Whitmore II 1995 Reality, Drama, and/or Action
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 08 Aug 07, 01:56.
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

nearly every war movie in my collection made in the past 25 years has CPT Dye's name or face somewhere in the credits...

..and i loved the show 'command decisions' the history channel used to run..
    be careful... what you shoot at... most things in here don't react too well to bullets...

Comment

I first Met Dale Dye on SPR...and had the pleasure of meeting him again on Band of Brothers....Nice Guy!...
      Don't just do it.... Over do it!!

Comment

I have read tons of VN LRRP books, Force Recon Books, and other patrol books and was really looking forward to seeing 84 Charlie Mopic. I had to search to find a used copy and was excited when I finally got it. I was utterly disappointed with the movie when I watched it. It didn't seem to be consistent with the books I had read.

Comment

Originally posted by stepdogg77 View Post
          nearly every war movie in my collection made in the past 25 years has CPT Dye's name or face somewhere in the credits...

..and i loved the show 'command decisions' the history channel used to run..
          WHAT? I haven't had TV for a while. They cancelled Command Desicions? That was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

My shock, "Wag the Dog" and "Low Down Dirty Shame," both Dye projects.
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

they only filmed about 15 episodes or so.. i haven't seen it for quite a while, and i check the history channel/military channel program listing quite regularly..
            be careful... what you shoot at... most things in here don't react too well to bullets...

Comment

Dale Dye Novels

No active duty Marine can boast more decorations for heroism and bravery than Captain Thurmond Becker. After a lifelong, glory-filled combat career, he knows that one mistake can mean instant death. But one violation of the Corps' sacred Code of Ethics bears a far crueler penalty-banishment and shame on a moral battlefield of rules and regulations. A battlefield where "justice" is Becker's ultimate enemy: A courtroom of his own peers.

The photos have been hidden. The witnesses, silenced. Their tales, dismissed as G.I. bush lore. But for Staff Sergeant Wilhelm Pudarski, the legend of Salt and Pepper lives. He'd watched the American G.I.s-one black, one white-trade fire with U.S. Marines alongside an NVA Infantry Regiment. He'd looked into their eyes-from the wrond end of a Tokarev pistol-and lived to tell the tale. Sometimes he still hears their voices-crying for America's downfall.

But now the war is over. And there are powerful men who've wagered their fortunes that the legend is dead-and buried, if only in a classified government file. But one ex-grunt has other ideas-and one last deadly mission.

In 1983 more than two hundred American Marines were stationed in Beirut with a vaguely defined mission to remove the PLO and keep the peace. But once the Palestinians were evacuated and a new Lebanese president elected, Moslem terrorists assassinated President Gamayel and relentlessly pressed their guerrilla war, forcing the Marines to stay in "The Root" and to participate in an increasingly tense and dangerous situation.

This brutal, fast-moving novel about the events that led to the massacre of the Marines is peopled with Moslem terrorists; Arabs willing to lay down their lives to stop the fighting; tough Israeli soldiers who deride American peace efforts; wise-guy journalists; and -- of course -- the Marines.

A gritty, gut-level look at the lives, times and trials of a rifle platoon of the 25th Infantry Division operating in the III Corps area of Vietnam circa 1967-68. Based on the script for Oliver Stone's Academy Award winning film, this book fills in the background of many of the main characters and gives vital context to operations near the Cambodian border that lead to an illegal killing of a Vietnamese villager and the subsequent power struggle that developed in the unit. The tale is told mostly through the eyes of a young, sensitive replacement rifleman who finds himself the focus of a struggle between good and evil as represented by two veteran sergeants.

Captain Dye Speaks: I was genuinely honored when Oliver Stone asked me to write the novelization of his script. I served my time in Vietnam as a Marine - quite a different experience from that of the standard Army draftee - and I didn't want to color or flavor the narrative with Marine bias, but Oliver felt that since I had trained the actors and lived the story in the field while we made the movie, no one could provide depth and context better than I could. In the broad view, I focused on context; helping the reader to understand what frustrations might lead to the tragic events depicted. In a more personal sense, I tried to put the reader inside the minds of the soldiers and let them feel the turbulent emotions that assail a human being in mortal combat.

The code of the grunts was commit or die. The red, yellow and blue of the North Vietnamese flag flew defiantly above the thick walls of the Citadel-ancient seat of emperors in the heart of 'Nam's most strategic city. The US brass wanted the historic monument taken, but they didn't want it damaged in the processÖ

For mavericks D.A. and his partner Steve, the mission assigned to them could be reduced to two simple tasks-climb the walls and kill the gooks. But as the Marine grunts were turned to hamburger meat and the body bags filled, the battle of Hue City became a living nightmare from which there was no escape.

This is my first novel; actually completed as an assignment while I was straining to get my baccalaureate degree in English Literature at the University of Maryland overseas campus on Okinawa. My scholastic advisor back in the late '70s was a former Marine Korea vet who had read some of my musings on the Vietnam battles in which I was heavily involved. The one such fight that haunted me at the time (and still does today) is the fight for the ancient Imperial capital of Hue during Tet 1968. I initially went into the city with the first reaction force out of Phu Bai, a cobbled together task force centered on Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines. Shortly thereafter, when it became clear that the situation was not a limited uprising and would develop into a truly vicious fight, I joined up with Hotel Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines on the south side of the city and Delta Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines on the north side of the city. It was a surreal experience and traumatic for everyone involved. To convey some of that I chose to use a sort of gonzo, first person voice while trying to avoid the first person pronoun. Fortunately, for my later literary endeavors, the book was critically celebrated as a reflection of the confusion and emotional turmoil frequently experienced by Marines and others fighting the war in Vietnam.

Last edited by Paul Mann III; 22 Dec 07, 00:39.

BoRG

Comment

Duty & Dishonor
                The photos have been hidden. The witnesses, silenced. Their tales, dismissed as G.I. bush lore. But for Staff Sergeant Wilhelm Pudarski, the legend of Salt and Pepper lives. He'd watched the American G.I.s-one black, one white-trade fire with U.S. Marines alongside an NVA Infantry Regiment. He'd looked into their eyes-from the wrond end of a Tokarev pistol-and lived to tell the tale. Sometimes he still hears their voices-crying for America's downfall.

But now the war is over. And there are powerful men who've wagered their fortunes that the legend is dead-and buried, if only in a classified government file. But one ex-grunt has other ideas-and one last deadly mission.

Hey, Wern't we just talking about these two dirtbags?
                Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
                  Duty & Dishonor

Hey, Wern't we just talking about these two dirtbags?
                  I guess I know why Dale Dye gets along with Oliver Stone now. All of the Dye novels seem to deal with traumatic and dark sides of war. Except Run Betwen the Rain Drops. That's just some hardcore USMC action.....

BoRG

Comment

Dirtbags as the aforementioned 'Salt and Pepper'
                    Sorry bout the confusion.
                    Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
                      Dirtbags as the aforementioned 'Salt and Pepper'
                      Sorry bout the confusion.
                      No confusion, just a good laugh. I am going to order Run Between The Rain Drops, though. It sounds pretty good, and it takes place just after my Dad left the Corps, so I think I can get him to read it, too.

BoRG

Comment

Someone just gave me a copy of "Warlord" cant wait to read it.
                        (Speaking of Marines-the incident happened while I was in country 'just down the road', should be interesting.)
                        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

Comment

The Command Structure of Warriors, Inc.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                            I guess I know why Dale Dye gets along with Oliver Stone now. All of the Dye novels seem to deal with traumatic and dark sides of war. Except Run Betwen the Rain Drops. That's just some hardcore USMC action.....

I recently saw a copy of "Platoon" written by Dale Dye at a used book store. The spine of the book said it was "Fiction"
                            Last edited by Miss Saigon; 16 Feb 08, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                              I recently saw a copy of "Platoon" written by Dale Dye at a used book store. The spline of the book said it was "Fiction"
                              Damn, I guess on my to Berkely (for hippy beatings), I'll have to visit the book store owner for a..., discussion....

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X