White Light/Black Rain: Destruction of Hiroshima/Nagasaki Movie Aug 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Light/Black Rain: Destruction of Hiroshima/Nagasaki Movie Aug 6

For those of you with HBO and have an interest in the subject, it is worth your time to check out the following movie this Monday. I've gotten to see it already, and it is a thought-provoking look at the bomb from those who were on the ground (and some views from the other side - dropping the bomb).

It is mostly an intimate interview where survivors tell their story, and much of it centers on the difficulties of the survivors to get treatment and support (even to this day) in Japan.

Tune in if you can.

WHITE LIGHT/BLACK RAIN: THE DESTRUCTION OF HIROSHIMA AND NAGASAKI

AN IN-DEPTH, UNFORGETTABLE LOOK AT THE REALITY OF NUCLEAR WARFARE WITH FIRST-HAND ACCOUNTS FROM THOSE WHO SURVIVED

DEBUTS MONDAY, AUGUST 6, EXCLUSIVELY ON HBO

As global tensions rise, the unthinkable once more becomes possible. The threat of “weapons of mass destruction” has again become frighteningly real. On August 6 th and 9 th , 1945, two atomic bombs vaporized 210,000 people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki . Currently, the world has an arsenal large enough to repeat the destruction at Hiroshima 400,000 times over.

Academy Award-winning filmmaker Steven Okazaki revisits this event and its aftermath in WHITE LIGHT/BLACK RAIN: THE DESTRUCTION OF HIROSHIMA AND NAGASAKI, premiering August 6 th at 8:30 p.m . Okazaki provides an unflinching look at the reality of nuclear warfare through first-hand accounts as told by 14 atomic-bomb survivors - many who have never spoken publicly before - and four Americans intimately involved in the siege. White Light, Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki provides a detailed exploration of these two bombings and their aftermath.

Be sure to check out this heartbreaking documentary on one of the most life shattering days in history and also one of the most forgotten days when WHITE LIGHT/BLACK RAIN: THE DESTRUCTION OF HIROSHIMA AND NAGASAKI, premieres THIS MONDAY NIGHT, August 6 th at 8:30 p.m., only on HBO!

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

OK. Another one of those movies. Wonder if they're going to mention the millions of Asians in the Japanese occupied territories that were killed by the Japs? Or the Nanking Massacre?

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
      OK. Another one of those movies. Wonder if they're going to mention the millions of Asians in the Japanese occupied territories that were killed by the Japs? Or the Nanking Massacre?
      Your right I don't recall there ever being any major documentary on the Rape of Nanking. Yhere does seem to have been a huge effort over the years to try and make the Japanese out as victims.
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

This one is very apolitical. It focuses on those who were in the cities and suffered the most and are still suffering. Politics aside, they truly were/are victims - those still alive today were mostly kids when they got hit.

The message focuses on nuclear weapons and their horrific effects on humans.
        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
          Just because the Japanease Army did horrible things in the war doesn't mean
          that their kids or women were terrible. Sounds like your grouping them
          all together "If ones bad, there all bad"?

Why would a movie about the first atom bombs dropped mention the rape of
          Nanking?

I think they should make a seperate movie about that.
          Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
            Your right I don't recall there ever being any major documentary on the Rape of Nanking. Yhere does seem to have been a huge effort over the years to try and make the Japanese out as victims.
            You may want to check out Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre, or the documentary Nanking. There is also a movie, The Rape of Nanking, due for release in 2008. There are also quite a few books available on the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
              This one is very apolitical. It focuses on those who were in the cities and suffered the most and are still suffering. Politics aside, they truly were/are victims - those still alive today were mostly kids when they got hit.

The message focuses on nuclear weapons and their horrific effects on humans.
              I think the problem lies in the "knee jerk" reaction based on past practice. Hard to comment on the film itself prior to a screening. I think it's going to be difficult to focus on the "horrific effects on humans" and not draw a line directly to the only Country to use the bomb.

It's a difficult topic, and the suffering of these people 50 years afterward should be told. I'll hold judgement until I have a chance to see it. Thanks for the "heads up".
              My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
                Just because the Japanease Army did horrible things in the war doesn't mean
                that their kids or women were terrible. Sounds like your grouping them
                all together "If ones bad, there all bad"?

Why would a movie about the first atom bombs dropped mention the rape of
                Nanking?

I think they should make a seperate movie about that.
                Nope. Just commenting on how unbalanced the picture has become. Mind you, the atomic bombing is entirely the consequence of Japan's military aggression in China and the rest of Asia that led to tens of millions of deaths.

There is very little sympathy here for the Japanese civilians of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Comment

I tried to watch it, but it was drowned out by the wailing souls of the Rape of Nanking, the thousands of forced foreign prostitutes, the Bataan Death March, the starvation, torture and murder of thousands and thousands of POWs and innocent civilians and the horrors of Unit 731.

We used nuclear weapons on the Japanese precisely because of the kind of people they were, something they haven't been able to face within themselves for well over half-a-century.

It is high time for the Japanese to own up to reality, admit what they were and move on. I have no more use for anything that tries to portray Japan as a victim of anything except their own xenophobic melagomania.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X