X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What? Another film list! RT's Journey Through Sci-Fi

hehe

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/featur...light_banner=1

Another list of the top 100 Sci-Fi films, this time from Rotten Tomatoes...at least they have some text on how the films are scored! Some strange results abound! hehe

Here's how the Sci-Fi Countdown works:
    • Each critic from our discrete list gets one vote, all weighted equally.
    • A movie must have 20 or more rated reviews to be considered.
    • Reviews without ratings are not counted toward the results.
    • Because reviews are continually added, manually and otherwise, we have a cutoff date at which new reviews are not counted. The current cut off date is 5/11/2007.
    • We use a weighted formula (Bayesian) to account for variation in the number of reviews per movie. The winners are determined by the rankings, designated as the "adjusted score," after applying said formula:

(r ÷ (r+m)) × t + (m ÷ (r+m)) × a, with "r" representing the number of rated reviews, "m" the minimum number of reviews needed for a movie to qualify, "t" the Tomatometer score, and "a" the average Tomatometer of all the qualifying movies
    • In the event of a tie, the following, in order, will be used to break the tie: the user tomatometer percent, the total number of cream of the crop reviews, and the number of fresh cream of the crop reviews.
    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

I call BS on some of this list...
    And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
    Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
    Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
    Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tankboy View Post
      I call BS on some of this list...
      Well, the methodology means the list probably doesn't work the way you think it does.

Although regardless I still had some major issues with how highly critics rated many of these movies.
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the faults, the other is that some of those movies aren't really what I would consider Sci-Fi. Ok so they have Science in them, then why isn't Shaun of the Dead or any Zombie movie in it?

NotLD was because a space probe crash landed, so why isn't it on the list? It should work under their reasoning.
        And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
        Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
        Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
        Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X