Heartbreak Ridge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartbreak Ridge question

I have not seen Heartbreak Ridge all the way through... Only bits and pieces. And my question is how did those marines become such a undisciplined mob of party animals incable of anything save drinking, playing pool and listening to a boombox?

Would USMC boot camp not be enough to hand people like this their ass and put a end to their unconvential manner? I mean recurit training generally straightens out problems such as this. So how do you think these men got the way they did (well before Clint straightened them out)?

Originally posted by Axis of Evil View Post
    I have not seen Heartbreak Ridge all the way through... Only bits and pieces. And my question is how did those marines become such a undisciplined mob of party animals incable of anything save drinking, playing pool and listening to a boombox?
    They became that way because that is the way the script was written. It was only a movie

Comment

Well, it was a movie......

Well, you need to spend some time around tip of the spear folks.

Our behaviour, like our job, is not for the faint of heart. They are the folks you want to be shoulder to shoulder with when the scatological matter hits the rotor.

Many of us would not fit in at your gram's Sunday table, many of us would.

Party while you can, you might not get another chance.
      Again, it was a MOVIE. Not a real good one, either.
      Mike

Comment

Based on the story line...

The previous NCO was retired on active duty, as it were. He was counting the days til he got out, and didn't enforce discipline

The commander at the time was using his recon platoon as "a training tool" which means they were targets, and not integrated into the system. Pretty much left to themselves, with little field training.

The platoon commander was less than up to the task of leading the group, leaving it to his NCO.

I only have experience with Air Force basic, but I do know that you can easily snap back to complacency with no oversight keeping you honest.

And of course, it was a movie, so it went how the script said.
        "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - attributed to Edmund Burke

Comment

I've seen situations like that, But the one in the movie was a rather extreme example.
          Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Marines that go around and do their jobs seldom have movies made about them. Hollywood tends to focus on the entertaining. The reason they use Marines is because the Army read Clint's script and refused to help him make it. Heartbreak Ridge was in Korea and the US Army was the service involved. A few revisions in script and voila!

I would say the original script involved Army Rangers. How an Army Officer would get transferred from Supply to the Rangers is an interesting situation! Also using just one Platoon as a stepchild to train on is a baffling as well.

I thought the movie was entertaining, but had little to do with reality. Clint trying to get in touch with his "feminine side" was fun, though!

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X