Red Dawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Dawn

meaningless, macho, cold-war schlock or insightful 'what-if' scenario?
    be careful... what you shoot at... most things in here don't react too well to bullets...

I think it's a tradgedy. Sure the kill count is Hollywood, but seeing Highschoolers get invaded in September and being all dead by February is heartbreaking. It struck my as a short glory and a long term waste, but I have a kinky way of looking at movies.
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Or, if you want to take the Grand Theft Auto approach, it's the documentary of how we kicked Russian ass.

The saddest part of the movie for me was how they had gotten ruthless enough to shoot a friend who had been bugged with a tracer to find them.

Comment

How we defeated the Russians

I loved this film growing up. It gave my friends and I several scenarios in playing war. I wonder now why the Chinese weren't included in the invasion plans....but definitely 'The Swayze's' finest movie ever (besides RoadHouse of course). Who knew American high-schoolers knew so much about guerilla warfare?

Wolverines!!!

Comment

They were

Originally posted by Pyle's Heroes View Post
          I loved this film growing up. It gave my friends and I several scenarios in playing war. I wonder now why the Chinese weren't included in the invasion plans....but definitely 'The Swayze's' finest movie ever (besides RoadHouse of course). Who knew American high-schoolers knew so much about guerilla warfare?

Wolverines!!!
          The Chinese did have a part.....when the pilot is questioned by the Wolverines, one of the questions was, " So who is on our side" I believe his answer is 150 million screaming Chinamen...., then the kid who asked the questions says I thought there were 300 Million Chinamen and the pilot says "There Were"

I still enjoy this film and when I was in High School we had scenarios of what we would do as well if that ever happened. Most of us had hunted for years so we had ideas.

P.S. Patrick Swayze 2nd best film IMO is not Roadhouse, but it is The Outsiders. Another old school cool movie, good star power in that one for sure.

Chad
          "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

It got really bad reviews,However I really love watching this movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin23 View Post
              It got really bad reviews,However I really love watching this movie.
              Lots of eventual nostalgia targets were considered garbage originally

I liked it myself when it came out, I was the right age for it though.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I just liked the RPGs and Aks
                I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

i should have prefaced this by saying up front that i love and hate this movie at the same time...

why i love it-- fantastic and -given US/Soviet relations at the time- certainly plausible concept. decent job of depicting guerilla style warfare, and the 're-education' camp made me squirm just a little... i did like COL Bella's character as well... one could almost sympathize with him working amidst the incompetence of the occupation authority... liked LTC Tanner's character, too... provided much-needed insight to how everything went down...

why i hate it-- the casting is simply awful. i can't stand swayze. i don't care what kind of dancer he is... charlie sheen blew goats, too... how he ever got the part of rick vaughn after this baffles me... and listening to the guy who played the father makes me want to rupture my ear drums... however, lea thompson was some nice 1980's eye candy, and any movie where jennifer grey doesn't say a word is worth 5 wampum to me...

how it could have been better-- center the story around the pilot (tanner), through the eyes of the US military reacting to the soviet attack. after he gets shot down he makes contact with some good ol' boys (not high school kids for god's sake), he shows the partisans how to bust into the re-ed camps to rescue THEIR kids... then the final battle, everyone dies, yadda yadda yadda...

in order to really do this concept any justice, it's a 5 hour miniseries--
                  Last edited by stepdogg77; 11 Jul 07, 14:26.
                  be careful... what you shoot at... most things in here don't react too well to bullets...

Comment

Originally posted by stepdogg77 View Post
                    meaningless, macho, cold-war schlock or insightful 'what-if' scenario?
                    A little bit of both. I didn't expect deep, insightful thinking from a bunch of high school kids - it would have been out of character.

I thought they way they progressed from very basic, almost-got-caught ambush to much more sophisticated planning was well done, and the irony of the impact on the Cuban advisor was very good.

All in all, it's one I consider worth it's place in my collection.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 12 Jul 07, 09:36.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Was it supposed to be funny

I found it completely ridiculous, but quite good fun as long as you didn't allow your brain cells to think too much about it

Comment

well, I liked it when I saw at the movies in the 80's... it was implausible of course, but soviet paratroopers landing in the middle of butt-hole nowhere -USA was funny - l loved the soviet troops in front of McDOnalds...

the Wolverines were interesting.

hey, aren't the iraquis wolverines too now???

---

need a new series where Iran and Venezuela invade the US to put narco-islamic law across the US - and this time it's Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan who fight back, spreading herpes to the invading troops!!! or something like that.
                        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

i guess we also have to consider the movie's competition and general state of the genre at the time...

movies we thought were cool in the 80's (for the most part) are now covered with a fine layer of cheese...

how in the world did i ever find 'iron eagle' entertaining...

airplanes+rock music+crappy generic arab dictators+explosions=ticket sales

Comment

Iron Eagle was crappy from the very beginning. Unfortunately, the sequels went on to set new levels of fecal content.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

shouldn't have gone off on the iron eagle tangent... no wonder why this thread is so slow today...

i'd like to get my hands on the mini-series 'amerika'-- ABC aired it about 20 years ago but has since faded into obscurity... i understand that it is a fairly compelling look at life under soviet occupation.. anyone seen it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X