Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 Movies Saved by Historical Innaccuracy

11 Movies Saved by Historical Innaccuracy - CRACKED.com

"Every year, Hollywood pumps out “historical” epics so distorted, propagandistic and self-serving, you have to wonder just how stupid they think we are. But, try “fixing” some of those historical inaccuracies and you'll quickly realize what Hollywood screenwriters have known for years: History is lame. Here are 11 movies that make us glad no one gives a damn about trivial things like “what actually happened.”"

#11. Gladiator (2000)
    #10. Braveheart (1995)
    #9. The Patriot (1998)
    #8. Cold Mountain (2003)
    #7. Marie Antoinette (2006)
    #6. Amadeus (1984)
    #5. 300 (2007)
    #4. Apocalypto (2006)
    #3. Shakespeare in Love (1998)
    #2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2003)
    #1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Since 2001 was pure science fiction by Kubrick and produced at least two decades or more before the actual date, I don't see how the "innacuracy" comment is even valid. It in no way purports to portray any historical event, since it was based on a fictional future.

Neither does Gladiator or CTHD.

By your yardstick, none of Hollywoods offerings meet the accuracy standard - even the best ones do, after all, contain fictional characters who were not actually there. Your list would begin with Apocalypse Now and end somewhere around Zardoz, and contain most of the films ever made.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 11 Jul 07, 09:27.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Apocolypto!?!? I'm no Mayan historian but it seems to me that it was a fairly accurate film. From the man who brought you the painstakingly detailed Passion of the Christ, I wouldn't expect any less historical accuracy for Apocolypto.
      "The State is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else."

Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Same goes with "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", looks like the folks who did this list ignore that this movie is part of a genre of chinese cinema that has more to do with our own "heroic fantasy" than history.

Comment

They should have included "A Bridge on the River Kwai" to their list.
          (A good movie, but a work of pure fiction.)

Cheers,
          Dave
          Roger, I see them. Attacking now

Comment

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, or proof that gravity is different in China somehow hehe.

Pick ANY movie, and you can find errors, it's when the error is a gross slap in the face that we usually get offended.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

LOL does this mean my script for a Pearl Harbor movie with a scene of Roosevelt and Tojo duking it out on the burning, sinking wreck of the USS Arizona will make the list???
              All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Steiner View Post
                Apocolypto!?!? I'm no Mayan historian but it seems to me that it was a fairly accurate film. From the man who brought you the painstakingly detailed Passion of the Christ, I wouldn't expect any less historical accuracy for Apocolypto.
                I listened to the commentary track for Apocolypto, and if they lied about the lengths they went to for historic accuracy, then they sure spent alot of time formulating the lie. Gibson claims the use of South/Central Amercians who filled every role from stars to boom operators. the amount of research time for the film seems longer than the time spent shooting the film. Several comments about finding actors who spoke the rare langauge used also lead me to think homework was done. On top of that, the commentary was actually pretty funny at times, as well as informative.

I originally skipped watching this movie, because I thought Oliver Stone had put it together (I know, I'm supposed to like Stone). I only watched it because I ran out of stuff to rent at my very small movie store. I'm glad I did, it gave me a renewed respect for Mel Gibson (after the South Park incedent he was looking a little off).
                "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post

"Every year, Hollywood pumps out “historical” epics so distorted, propagandistic and self-serving, you have to wonder just how stupid they think we are. But, try “fixing” some of those historical inaccuracies and you'll quickly realize what Hollywood screenwriters have known for years: History is lame. Here are 11 movies that make us glad no one gives a damn about trivial things like “what actually happened.”
                  You ought to see what Disney does to history.

When it all comes down to entertainment (the purpose of a film) an audience made up of regular people (not military historians) wants to see a "movie" and not a "documentry." It's an awful thing trying to put reality into film, and usually it doesn't work, either because of a production issue, or a failure at the Box Office. Full on, accurate, and unmistaken truth just isn't going to happen unless you want to watch a documentry, perhaps why some of us own so many.

Goodfellas, Platoon, Paid in Full, Colors, American Me, Gotti, Young Guns 1 & 2, The Godfather, All Quiet on the Western Front, Full Metal Jacket, and even Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. All considered good movies, all based on factual events, yet they all have errors or out right changes from reality. Why? Reality is just less entertaining than Fiction, and sometimes it's a bummer. Not what usually works to fill those "Summer Blockbuster" movie-seats.
                  Last edited by Paul Mann III; 12 Jul 07, 19:42.
                  "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Apocalypto had some good research behind it but was slammed quite a while after release, and I doubt the sincerity (and motivation) of the people who did attack it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post

"Every year, Hollywood pumps out “historical” epics so distorted, propagandistic and self-serving, you have to wonder just how stupid they think we are. But, try “fixing” some of those historical inaccuracies and you'll quickly realize what Hollywood screenwriters have known for years: History is lame. Here are 11 movies that make us glad no one gives a damn about trivial things like “what actually happened.”"

#11. Gladiator (2000)
                      #10. Braveheart (1995)
                      #9. The Patriot (1998)
                      #8. Cold Mountain (2003)
                      #7. Marie Antoinette (2006)
                      #6. Amadeus (1984)
                      #5. 300 (2007)
                      #4. Apocalypto (2006)
                      #3. Shakespeare in Love (1998)
                      #2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2003)
                      #1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
                      Looks like the same old list...right down to the impossible concept of "historical accuracy" applied to a fictional future in 2001.

Actually, it is entirely possible to make great movies that are also historically accurate - Hollywood just can't bring itself to put forth the effort for the relatively uneducated American masses.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Glad to see that "Brokeback Mountain" didn't make the list

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Steiner View Post
                          The clothing, ornaments, etc, in Apocalypto are pretty accurate (far more so than 300), but that is about it. The rest of it was pure Hollywood cheese.

On the other had it been accurate Gibson probably would not have been able to tell the story he wanted to tell. His mistake was going around claiming that it was a historically-accurate depiction of Mayan society. He didn't need to do that, people would have seen it anyway--after all nobody went to Gladiator expecting to learn about Roman society (I hope not anyway). So you had people going to Apocalypto thinking they were getting a history lesson, when all it was was a rippin' yarn (or actually one of Mel's moral fables).
                          Every 10 years a great man.
                          Who paid the bill?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X