The Best WWII movie Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best WWII movie Poll

After trying to put a poll on these movies up the first time, I learned how hard it is to put a "good" list together. Here is the best one I can come up with, given the limit of choices to the thread itself. If you feel I missed something, I probably left it out of the 25 possible, or maybe it's nor a WWII movie, or no one has voted for it on another thread. With that said, I tried to leave all the real stinkers off this list. I hope this is enough quality cinema to quiet the nay-sayers for a while, and get to the point, what is the Best WWII movie ever, not just the most obscure, cool, movie you can dig up to make me look bad.

BattleGround
    6.06%
    Bataan
    0.00%
    A Bridge Too Far
    9.09%
    Cross of Iron
    9.09%
    The Dirty Dozen
    0.00%
    Das Boot
    9.09%
    Downfall
    3.03%
    Flags of our Fathers
    0.00%
    Halls of Montezuma
    0.00%
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    9.09%
    The Longest Day
    3.03%
    Patton
    6.06%
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    0.00%
    Saving Private Ryan
    18.18%
    Stalingrad
    6.06%
    Schindlers List
    0.00%
    The Sands of Iwo jima
    3.03%
    Tora! Tora! Tora!
    3.03%
    To Hell and Back
    0.00%
    Thin Red Line
    9.09%
    The True Story of G.I. Joe
    0.00%
    The Big Red One
    0.00%
    The Young Lions
    0.00%
    The Enemy at the Gates
    3.03%
    Other
    3.03%
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 11 Jun 07, 21:34.
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

I like too many of the movies from the list to pick just ONE.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

PV, I think you would be better off just asking people to post their 5 favourite movies rather than a poll. IIRC this was done a couple of months ago.

Wolster

Comment

I know it's old to you, but it's new to me

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
        PV, I think you would be better off just asking people to post their 5 favourite movies rather than a poll. IIRC this was done a couple of months ago.
        Understood, but two problems. One; I just joined two months ago ( I know, two "dingleberrys" and nearly 900 posts don't make me look new), and Two; I'm trying to get the "best one" not the "top five" for my own personal reasons. If my poll is redundant, I'm sorry, but I've poured the posts on this subject for, weeks now, to come up up with 24 top choices, maybe the top five of these will be more accurate.

Last edited by Paul Mann III; 11 Jun 07, 21:41.
        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Ha Ha! You finally included A Bridge Too Far.

You just went up in my book!

Comment

Originally posted by P.V. Mann III View Post
            Understood, but two problems. One; I just joined two months ago ( I know, two "dingleberrys" and nearly 900 posts don't make me look new), and Two; I'm trying to get the "best one" not the "top five" for my own personal reasons. If my poll is redundant, I'm sorry, but I've poured the posts on this subject for, weeks now, to come up up with 24 top choices, maybe the top five of these will be more accurate.

I'm not having a pop at you and I understand what your trying to achive. I just think your on a hiding to nothing. No matter what movies you put in a poll somebody will always say 'Hey! What about.......'

Wolster

Comment

Just getting in some practice....

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
              I'm not having a pop at you and I understand what your trying to achive. I just think your on a hiding to nothing. No matter what movies you put in a poll somebody will always say 'Hey! What about.......'
              Indeed. I'm an out of practice Journalism student, and this seems to be the best way to ease back into public writing. Plus, I like it to hear about a movie I never saw, that's how I got nearly half of this list anyways. I prefer enterntainment writing, and it's one thing to know how my circle feels about a movie, another to access the whole worlds opinion. For instance, I never would have guessed anyone would want "A Brige Too Far" up there, but it has a nice fan base (me included). Like I said, I thought about it first, I try not to just take up too much space on ACG.

BoRG

Comment

Sticking with my initial choice: The Thin Red Line.

Comment

I guess I need to watch The Thin Red Line. I've heard so many people saying they hated it and so many people saying they loved it. I just need to watch it once and for all and make my own decision.

The other two movies on the list I haven't seen are Bataan and The True Story of G.I. Joe. I've only seen parts of The Young Lions. I didn't really care for it. But I've seen the rest of them. I was none too impressed by Stalingrad nor by Cross of Iron. They never lived up to all the hype they always receive, in my opinion anyway. On the other hand, Das Boot lived up to the hype and then some. I watched the extended version that was some 5 hours long. It took me two sittings to watch but I was very impressed. Das Boot is up there as one of my favorites. I watched the other submarine movie on the list, Run Silent, Run Deep, a few months ago on Turner Classic Movies. Cark Gable, Burt Lancaster, Don Rickles. Great Movie. Das Boot along with Run Silen, Run Deep and The Enemey Below, one not on the list, are my 3 favorite sub movies. I'd say that the only other movie on the list the I didn't think was too great was The Big Red One. It was too disjointed. They rereleased it on DVD some time ago with a whole bunch of extended scenes. Maybe I should give the movie another chance and watch that version.

By the way, where is Band of Brothers on that list?

Comment

Originally posted by The Cooler King View Post
                    Das Boot is up there as one of my favorites. Das Boot along with Run Silen, Run Deep and The Enemey Below, one not on the list, are my 3 favorite sub movies. I'd say that the only other movie on the list the I didn't think was too great was The Big Red One. It was too disjointed.

By the way, where is Band of Brothers on that list?
                    The Enemy Below being overlooked is my bad, it's a great one.

The "new" Big Red One is great, the extras, proganda included, are worth owning the movie. Sam Fuller (the writer) was well decorated for his part in WWII, and this movie is an homage to himself.

Band of Brothers stands alone, like it's Currahee, 10 hours is in-comparable to any WWIII movie, and Dale Dye USMC (ret.) is hard to fight for tech script.
                    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 12 Jun 07, 10:03.

BoRG

Comment

A hard choice but i go with das boot and a close second downfall.
                      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

I liked Saving Private Ryan more than the ones that I saw that are on this list, except for Enemy at the Gates which is one of my favorites.
                        "Since when do you have to tell the enemy when he has won?"
                        -Mazer Rackham to Ender ("Ender's Game" pg. 262)

Comment

I guess I need to watch The Thin Red Line. I've heard so many people saying they hated it and so many people saying they loved it. I just need to watch it once and for all and make my own decision.
                          Yeah its a very divisive movie and I might be wrong but I think you won't like it Mike

Comment

I managed about 20 minutes before turning it off, start was just too slow! I did start the book and was really enjoying it before somebody stole it.

I'd say that the only other movie on the list the I didn't think was too great was The Big Red One. It was too disjointed. They rereleased it on DVD some time ago with a whole bunch of extended scenes. Maybe I should give the movie another chance and watch that version.
                            I liked it, but kept waiting for Obi Wan to appear.
                            Wolster

Comment

One not on the list deserves mention: Go For Broke!!
                              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X