Tank Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Overhaul

I'm currently watching a series on the UKTV History channel on BBC Digital Freeview. It's a Canadian produced series detailing groups of enthusiasts who restore an collect WW2 armour. I watched the programme on the German AUSF-G Panther, one of which was salvaged from a Polish river and restored.

During the restoration, the enthusiasts found that the Panther had a 12 cylinder 700cc Maybach engine which was gasoline-powered and originally intended for aircraft use. It was prone to engine fires and the gearbox was insufficient to tolerate the 45 tone weight of the vehicle. Panther crews were ordered never to go full throttle. The suspension system was innovative giving a smooth ride although changing the interleaved wheels was a problem. The Panther had an extra gear, called neutral transmission which meant that the tracks could run in opposite directions making the perfect recipe for doughnuts. A design feature that the Sherman did not have.

Most feared by the Sherman crews was the 75mm gun which had a range of 3000 yards. In addition to the sloped frontal armor (a design feature copied from the Soviet T34.) Only 6000 Panthers were made, compared to the 50000 Shermans. The enthusiasts even compared the modern-day Leopard tank to the WW2 Panther.

Other tanks featured in the series are the Sherman and The British Comet tank, said to be superior to the Sherman and the first to use dart-shaped sabot rounds.

http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledeta...?titleid=97512
    Last edited by Sign&Print Name; 09 Jun 07, 11:51.
    Hitler played Golf. His bunker shot was a hole in one.

The show appears on American TV as well, and also features American groups who rebuild armored vehicles taken from live fire ranges.

I recently watch the rebuild of an M-10 tank destroyer, fastest AFV ever produced - even faster than an M1 Abrams. The neat thing about it was that the tank commander lived just down the road a few miles, and was re-united with his refurbished WWII TD!
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
      The show appears on American TV as well, and also features American groups who rebuild armored vehicles taken from live fire ranges.

I recently watch the rebuild of an M-10 tank destroyer, fastest AFV ever produced - even faster than an M1 Abrams. The neat thing about it was that the tank commander lived just down the road a few miles, and was re-united with his refurbished WWII TD!
      I thought the honor of fastest WW2 tank was for the M18 hellcat?
      All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

I've seen all the episodes you mention, it's an interesting show.The CGI's of the Panther's last battle were superb......................
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I think we all got tired of seeing movies with the Pershings representing Tigers or even Shermans or Chaffees on both sides just with different insignia.

I remember when we thought Kelly's Heroes was cool because it had 2 'Tigers' though in reality Tiger turrets on old Russian tank chassis.

Although the story was stupid, we were so impressed with "Saving Private Ryan" using actual running models of vehicles of the time, including German.

There is a Korea collector, I kid you not, who says he has the largest collection of operational WW2 Japanese vehicles including end-war prototypes. I'll believe it when I see it.

And as good as CGI is and all, wouldn't it be great if these fellows rebuilt say 4 of each of every type of military machine, at least ww2 tanks on all sides?

I would love to see movies and TV series using such.

I got to ride in some tanks. The American tour driver talked of the difficulties of the German Panther's over-leaf wheel system being difficult and time consuming to change in battle, yet he said if he designed a tank he would too. The ride was unbelievably better than when he drove us around in the other tanks like a Sherman or T34 etc. He claimed that the longer a crew is in a bumpy vehicle the more it wears them down not only physically but mentally and he was so right, those 'over-complicated' German tanks were so much easier to run around even cross country in.

But back to my point, I love watching teh program, I learn more things good and bad than I've heard anywhere else on each, and I would love to see them rented out into movies and tv series.

Yes?

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post

Just watched it again last night, and it was M18 Hellcat, Buddy was sure pleased as punch.
            Last edited by PzKfwBob; 01 Jul 07, 21:28. Reason: grammar
            Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
            Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
            David Bowie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X