No announcement yet.

Motion Pictures That Changed The Genre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sergio Leone. The first to really show the results when a gun is fired. You see the gun fired and the victim fall all in the same shot. Prior to this you would see the gun fire and then the camera would cut away to the intended victim.
    War. Young men killing each other for the benefit of old men!

Comment

Originally posted by P.V. Mann III View Post
      In the "War" movie genre, I think credit is due to "Platoon." Not for anything but the sheer "technical" effort. It raised the bar, using the greatest technical advisor (and only one to ever get a front end credit I know of) ever, Captain Dale Dye. Thanks to "Platoon," we recieved a whole slew of war movies that had amazing "technical" properties for the last 20 years. Dye has a new "WWII Marine Corps" project with HBO, I bet it makes "Band of Brothers" look like the "Battle of the Bulge."

http://WarriorsInc.com
      Don't know about that. It seems that it is the same production team behind this as the was behind BoB and SPR. There is already pre-production work occuring in Melbourne Australia. it would seem that it is going to be a huge production with filming in Australia, the US, Hawaii and a number of locations around the South Pacific.

Comment

Dale Dye leads the way in the technical advising industy

Originally posted by leatchy View Post
        Don't know about that. It seems that it is the same production team behind this as the was behind BoB and SPR.
        It's largely the exact same crew, that's not my point. My point was because of the work done by Dye in "Platoon," which got him his work in SPR and BoB, has changed the face of "war cinema" by striving to have absolute technical authentication. His work has lead to other companies having to use more technical advisement, leading to higher quality film in the entire genre.
        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by P.V. Mann III View Post
          It's largely the exact same crew, that's not my point. My point was because of the work done by Dye in "Platoon," which got him his work in SPR and BoB, has changed the face of "war cinema" by striving to have absolute technical authentication. His work has lead to other companies having to use more technical advisement, leading to higher quality film in the entire genre.
          Fair enough. I think you may have interpreted that I was having a go at you on this subject, I wasn't. I just meant that I think that this Pacific production will be similar in tone and execution to BoB and SPR. Where 'Battle of the Bulge' was just absolute historical and material crap. I do agree that Dale Dye is probably the foremost military adviser in cinema today.

Comment

I always thought the first 20 min of SPR was groundbreaking in its graphic and realistic portrayal of violence in a war movie. The second scene in the movie when that ramp went down and all those guys got chewed up by the MG-42, i was shocked by the chunks of meat and blood flying everywhere. I knew this wasnt going to be your typical war movie.

Sam Peckinpah - His graphic displays of violence in his movies really changed movies as far as im concerned. Even a fist fight from his perspective is a violent and ugly thing. My two favorite movies of his were "Straw Dogs" and "Cross of Iron".
            http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

I can't point out specific films that haven't already been mentioned, but here are a couple of directors:

Akira Kurosawa

1. Seven Samurai - heavily influenced many action films made since, most notably the classic western, "The Magnificent Seven."
              2. Ran - its battle scenes are unparreled in their sequencing & production, though vain attempts have made over the years to reproduce the color & beauty through CGI.

John Ford

This guy is it for me when it comes to directors. Of course, I'm a sucker for old movie classics. Ford is notated as being a major influence on many of the directors named in this thread. Check out "The Grapes of Wrath" & "The Searchers."
              Kampfgruppe - A war gaming clan since 1998

Comment

Tommy was the first rock opera and featured many top actors and musicians of the time; Ann Margaret, Jack Nicholson, Eric Clpaton, and Tina Turner, among others.
                If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                  I wish to nominate: Rough Riders which turned mini-series into high quality movies shown over days instead of hours instead of the normal dreck they were up to that point.
                  I thought Gettysburg did that first.
                  ( I like them both,however)
                  Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

How about movies with Ray Harryhausen's "stop motion" techniques. I remember as a kid how scary the moving skeletons in "Jason and the Argonauts" were. Now youi see used in claymation for everything from the "California Raisins" to "Celebrity Deathmatch"...............
                    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
                      I thought Gettysburg did that first.
                      ( I like them both,however)
                      Gettysburg was released theatrically first. In fact my brother remembers seeing in the theatre.
                      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        Gettysburg was released theatrically first. In fact my brother remembers seeing in the theatre.
                        Was it really? I thought Turner put it out on TV like "Rough Riders".
                        D'OH
                        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
                          Was it really? I thought Turner put it out on TV like "Rough Riders".
                          D'OH
                          He did; after it was pulled out of theatres. Had to recoup that money somehow.
                          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X