Greatest Propaganda Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Propaganda Films

Regardless of viewpoint, what are the best, most inspiring, and well made propaganda movies out there? Documentaries are nice but I'm mainly interested in movies expressly designed to rally the population at home. (this means that this thread is for pro-whatever movies, not antiwar/nihilisitc movies)

1. Sergeant York. This has to still be one of my all time favorite war movies. I don't think the movie really makes any point that the Germans are evil (which they really weren't in WW1) but instead focuses on the American soldier. This also has one of the most convincing changes of heart ever shown in a movie, when he stops being a bootlegger and ruffian during that storm.

2. Alexander Nevski. The famous Russian movie that compared Stalin to the medieval Russian hero who defeated the Knights of the order of Saint Mary the Virgin (aka the Teutonic Knights) and became the Grand Prince of Moscow. People complain about Braveheart but this one actually puts the Swaztikas on the bad guy's banners! Apart from that, it is also well made and complete with a rousing score.

3. Red Dawn. I don't care what you've been watching or whether it was cheaply made and stuck in the 80's, this is one of the best movies out there. The story is more than just fighting to the end in the cold war, but about the America no one ever sees in movies. Instead of making a typical action flick with musclebound heroes who drive motorcycles around LA, this has a bunch of brave kids talking about real stuff, living in the heartland, and fighting to the bitter end.

I was interested in seeing the German Kolberg movie, which I think was about the life of Field Marshall Gneisenau that culminates in this battle. Don't know where to look though.

The opening and closing of Saving Private Ryan (with the flag with the sun behind it) were borrowed from the German propaganda documentary Triumph of Will.
    So in a way Saving Private Ryan would qualify.
    Last edited by Col. Dyess; 28 May 07, 18:16.

Comment

I would say Green Bret
      "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
      "

Comment

How about Henry V, the original version.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          How about Henry V, the original version.
          Would that be the stage play?

Comment

Triumph of the Will.
            In Which We Serve
            War. Young men killing each other for the benefit of old men!

Comment

Triumph of the will

Nimitz

Starship Troopers.. ?
              "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

'One of our Aircraft is missing'

Wake island'

Theres a movie starring Claudette colbert @ the nurses on bataan-can't remember the name, but it is a great propoganda film

Comment

I was all set to mention documentaries....

I think Fire birds http://imdb.com/title/tt0099575/ is the most in your face propaganda to exist outside of WW2 topics that I can recall. Made an ok film, but being officially funded by the US government taints it.
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Apparently churchill considered "that hamilton woman" as a great propaganda film, he considered it worth several divisions to the war effort.
                    Also did the americans consider "mrs miniver" as a propaganda film for their war effort, especially against the isolationists.
                    Last edited by Post Captain; 29 May 07, 11:16.
                    Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by mike brown View Post
                      Apparently churchill considered "that hamilton woman" as a great propaganda film, he considered it worth several divisions to the war effort.
                      Also did the americans consider "mrs miniver" as a properganda film for their war effort, especially against the isolationists.
                      I've always thought Mrs Miniver was a great flick

Comment

Did you know that the speech by the vicar in the bombed out church in that film was printed on roosevelts orders and distributed all over europe.
                        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                          Would that be the stage play?
                          No, the film made in 1944. It was essentially a ww2 properganda film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_V_%281944_film%29
                          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

The Longest Day

Comment

Sahara
                              The Green Berets
                              Guadalcanl Diary

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...