Letters from Iwo Jima Comes Out on DVD May 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters from Iwo Jima Comes Out on DVD May 22

As you know from the titleof this post, Letters from Iwo Jima comes out on May 22 on DVD. What are your thoughts on the movie?

As for me, I think Letters From Iwo Jima is one of the best war films ever, and it's very unique. I don't think any WW2 movie shows the point of view of the Japanese soldiers besides this one.
    "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Originally posted by TankBrigade View Post
    What are your thoughts on the movie?
    I'll let you know when I get it on the 22nd. I saw Flags of our Fathers and thought it was very good and excellent in many ways. It wasn't perfect though, and General Vandergrift was not accurately portrayed at all. In the movie every second word he spoke was a cuss word, while in accounts that I have read say he never swore in his life.

Comment

I just watched it last night. Fantastic movie. Easily one of the best war movies ever in my humble opinion.
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I just saw it last night. The best description of it that I can think it is the Japanese version of All Quiet On the Western Front.

Comment

I saw it, excellent movie, but there is another i saw not long ago.
          I can't remember the title right now, but its about a group of Japanese
          soldiers on Guadle canel who try to survive after being abandon by the navy.
          This one was a bit more dramatic, and a must see. In came out in the 50's.

Also check out Yamato, very very good movie that came out last year.
          Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

YAAAAYYYYYY...... I finally got to see this movie. It was great. Did you guys notice it filled in a few blanks from Flags of Our Fathers. For instance we finally know what exactly happened to Iggy. He was the guy that got bayonetted. That had to have been horrible! I couldn't imagine haveing been pulled down a spider hole then dragged through a tunnel just to be bayonetted to death. That's a nightmare. But anyway, I thought it was great. It kind of completed the story started by FoOF. The first told our side of the story and Letters told the Japanese story. AMazing how you kind of sympathize with the enemy when you realize that their common soldier wasn't really much, I stress much, different than ours.

Although it was kind of aggravating having to try and read words while watching what's going on. Sometimes they didn't leave words up long enough. I finally just watched it once and read mainly, then watched it again and watched what they were doing mainly. That's the only problem I had. Who cares if it was in English or Japanese? Does it really put you in the moment any more that way.
            Last edited by 6thInf grandson; 01 Jun 07, 09:36.
            It's my firm conviction that when Uncle Sam calls, by God we go, and we do the best that we can. - R. Lee Ermey

Comment

Actually read the book. What happened to Iggy was beyond words... But they are in the book. I was steeling myself in case they were going to show what had happened to him.
              The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

The biggest problem with this movie was the depiction of the Americans committing atrocities against the Japanese. I was so angry when they showed the Marine killing the Japanese prisoner just because he didn't want to "babysit" him. The message is that Americans were committing the same atrocities as the Japanese.

BULLSH$T!
                Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

I think the scene was trying to show that there were some bad people on the American side. The whole point of the movie was Saigo didn't want to be there but while there he witnessed the bad (the Marine prisoner being bayoneted scene) and good (the Baron treating the captured Marine well) on his side plus the bad (shooting the prisoners) and the good (the Americans could have just shot when he starts swinging the shovel at them) on the American side.

Atrocities unfortunately happen in war. There is no way to avoid them because armies consist of people. And some people are just bad.

Another thing we must remember is that there are very few Japanese troops that survived any of the island battles.(Except for the Philippines) There are probably even fewer who wrote down the accounts. So we don't really know there side of the story very well.

The old movie "Halls of Montezuma" has a scene were a young Marine who really hates Japanese tries to kill the prisoners they have taken. He is accidently killed by his own rifle when his fellow Marines try to disarm him.

That being said, the scene could have been improved quiet a bit. I wish Eastwood had given us a reason for the shooting. Like maybe the GI's best buddy was just killed or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
                    The biggest problem with this movie was the depiction of the Americans committing atrocities against the Japanese. I was so angry when they showed the Marine killing the Japanese prisoner just because he didn't want to "babysit" him. The message is that Americans were committing the same atrocities as the Japanese.

BULLSH$T!
                    Uh, Brian??? It happened. I wish I could remember which book I read it in, but it did happen. I think Eastwood was basically saying that good people of both sides do bad things in war. It wasn't meant to be a blanket statement about either side really,
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      Uh, Brian??? It happened. I wish I could remember which book I read it in, but it did happen. I think Eastwood was basically saying that good people of both sides do bad things in war. It wasn't meant to be a blanket statement about either side really,
                      I had a similar reaction to Brian for this reason...

Two notable scenes are;

1) the Marines shooting the Japanese prisoner
                      2) the Japanese caring humanely for the US Marine prisoner.

These situations clearly happened but both of them represent the opposite of the norm.

But in showing these two scenes the viewer is left with the feeling..."You see...the Japanese were humane and the Marines were savage. There was bad on both sides." True...but not the norm. Occasionally true but most of the time it was exactly the opposite.

Still a really great movie which aside from these two scenes, designed to please Japanese audiences, the rest is excellent.
                      Publisher
                      Armchair General Magazine
                      Weider History Group

Comment

I watched the two films back to back and thought the way they complemented each other was very good and quite novel. I will get both of these on DVD.

Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post

BULLSH$T!
                          Ole buddy, it kinda shocked me too. But, it did happen sometimes. I have an article on it in one of my WWII Magazines somewhere about how this one Marine officer took personal guard of a valuable prisoner he had because of the record of some of his Marines shooting the prisoners sometimes. I'm not judging those Marines either. Who's to say I wouldn't wind up doing something like that in the heat of battle had I seen my best friend murdered by a enemy soldier or just been hardened toward my enemy because of all the killing I had seen. I have heard stories from veterans talking about remorse for how enemy POW's were treated sometimes by their units. I like to believe that our troops always do the right and moral thing, but I'm also enough of a realist to know that sometimes things like this happen even to this day. That's war unfortunately. War makes men that wouldn't normaly hurt a flea do some bad things.
                          It's my firm conviction that when Uncle Sam calls, by God we go, and we do the best that we can. - R. Lee Ermey

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Dyess View Post
                            I think the scene was trying to show that there were some bad people on the American side. The whole point of the movie was Saigo didn't want to be there but while there he witnessed the bad (the Marine prisoner being bayoneted scene) and good (the Baron treating the captured Marine well) on his side plus the bad (shooting the prisoners) and the good (the Americans could have just shot when he starts swinging the shovel at them) on the American side.

Atrocities unfortunately happen in war. There is no way to avoid them because armies consist of people. And some people are just bad.

Another thing we must remember is that there are very few Japanese troops that survived any of the island battles.(Except for the Philippines) There are probably even fewer who wrote down the accounts. So we don't really know there side of the story very well.

The old movie "Halls of Montezuma" has a scene were a young Marine who really hates Japanese tries to kill the prisoners they have taken. He is accidently killed by his own rifle when his fellow Marines try to disarm him.

That being said, the scene could have been improved quiet a bit. I wish Eastwood had given us a reason for the shooting. Like maybe the GI's best buddy was just killed or something?

Well put. Regarding your last statement about their reasoning, they kind of stated why in an offhand way. If you pay close attention you here them talking about what a target "babysitting" those prisoners makes them. They discuss whether they should kill them or not. I think out of fear they killed the POW's so they could catch up to their unit and be in "relative security".

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post
                              I had a similar reaction to Brian for this reason...

Two notable scenes are;

1) the Marines shooting the Japanese prisoner
                              2) the Japanese caring humanely for the US Marine prisoner.

These situations clearly happened but both of them represent the opposite of the norm.

But in showing these two scenes the viewer is left with the feeling..."You see...the Japanese were humane and the Marines were savage. There was bad on both sides." True...but not the norm. Occasionally true but most of the time it was exactly the opposite.

Still a really great movie which aside from these two scenes, designed to please Japanese audiences, the rest is excellent.
                              I agree 1000%. In todays world if you want to make a movie that is globally accepted you have to make it look like everyone had bad moments.
                              Eric said it best, it was done to please the Japanese audience. There are other movies like that as well.

I watched Letters From Iwo Jima on my flight from Atlanta to England so it was interrupted numerous times but I still found it to be a good film. I will be getting it for the big screen soon.

Chad
                              "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X