Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inevitable Spiderman 3 thread

Just saw it tonight.

I give it no less than an 8. But I am fond of the genre.

It is just dripping in CGI, guess that explains the cost to make it. Made 110 million day 1 apparently, likely make as much today, maybe make a lot tomorrow.
    But unless they make 100 million each day this weekend, it will take a bit to break even.

Anyway, I barely know the names of most comic icons, so I had to ask my buddy to identify the newcomers.

The film isn't likely going to wow a non superhero comic movie fan, but I think it will please the fans. My two friends thought it ran a bit long. Myself, I didn't mind. There's lots of fight sequences.

This film is a big screen needed experience though. If you don't have a massive tv screen at home, you won't enjoy it as much that first time. Don't wait for the rental.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

I was disappointed. I found the pacing was waaay off, there were too many characters and the CGI was a little overdone. All in all, I'd give it a 7. Definately the weakest of the Spider-Man series...
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

Just got back from my viewing - thought it was great, although it lost its way a little in the middle - the nature of the villains means that lots of CGI is inevitable, so I don't think that's a valid criticism really, although personally I could have done without so many fight scenes where the emphasis is on things falling on top of other things.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I saw it at an IMAX theater. I have to admit, it looks awesome on a screen 6 stories tall!

I'd give it a 7.5. The fight scenes do have a tendancy to be a bit the same, giving the feeling it runs a bit long. The new characters are pretty well developed (for a story based on a comic book!), each with their own personality and motives

I agree that if you are at all interested in seeing it, see it at a theater, I don't think your TV will do it justice.
        Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

I bet the Sandman looked awesome on that screen. He totally fills the picture at some points - like he was trying to burst out of the frame.

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I miss the kind of characterisation in Spiderman and Spiderman 2. They really spent time on the characters - both Spidey and the villains - back then. In this movie, the villains were almost cartoonish.

But my greatest beef was Mary-Jane. Gosh, she's annoying! Why did Spidey end up with her anyway, when there's plenty of other babes running around in his movie?

Comment

I saw it yesterday......I enjoyed it, but thought it was more like "Superman Returns".....5 mins of action followed by 20 mins of plot & characters. I would give it an 8/10, BUT I would also say that this one will be the harder for kids to enjoy & be more difficult to watch over & over again. I liked Bruce Campbell's cameo.
              The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Complete crap in my opinion. Saw it last week and I hardly remember anything. That's the costliest movie in the history of film they say, man what a waste of money...Tobey McGuire must be one of the most boring actor of his generation, sharing the trophy with Topher Grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
                  ...the nature of the villains means that lots of CGI is inevitable, so I don't think that's a valid criticism really...
                  Dr. S.
                  I'm not refering to the number of CGI shots per se, (I work in the industry so I know how it is...) but more the quality of some of those shots. Good CGI should make you believe (suspension of disbelief-wise, it would be hard to do Sandman without CGI...) that what you are seeing is actually happening. I found some of the shots really obvious (many of the Spidey swinging through the city shots were kinda flat) and the transitions to film from CGI were a little to obvious for my liking.

I know I'm a little hard to please when it comes to this kinda stuff (one of the downsides to working in film; my wife won't go to see movies with me anymore 'cause I have a tendancy to pick 'em apart technically) so I may not be the best person to review these kind of movies.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

It might be crap, but it won't be a waste of money if they start
                    rolling in the dough like the first day!

I've not seen it, and probably won't til its a rental.
                    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankenstein View Post
                      I'm not refering to the number of CGI shots per se, (I work in the industry so I know how it is...) but more the quality of some of those shots. Good CGI should make you believe (suspension of disbelief-wise, it would be hard to do Sandman without CGI...) that what you are seeing is actually happening. I found some of the shots really obvious (many of the Spidey swinging through the city shots were kinda flat) and the transitions to film from CGI were a little to obvious for my liking.

I know I'm a little hard to please when it comes to this kinda stuff (one of the downsides to working in film; my wife won't go to see movies with me anymore 'cause I have a tendancy to pick 'em apart technically) so I may not be the best person to review these kind of movies.
                      Ooh...interesting! What have you worked on? Anything we might have seen?

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Been doing commercials for the past couple of years mostly, but I've done a few features (X-Men as a daily, 4 Brothers,Death Wish 4, The Dark, and a few other low budget flicks; trying to get onto The Hulk 2 this summer, but that's a long shot...) and a few TV series (My Secret Summer for the BBC back in the late 80's (the series was shot in Britain but the intro's and extro's were shot in a studio up here in Toronto) & Ready or Not Season 3).

I prefer the pace of Commercials at the moment. I'm up in Canada and with the dollar so high, things have really slowed down feature wise. Commercials are the bread and butter of the industry right now and they pay pretty good as well. I'm a Set Dresser/On Set Props geek. I've worked on about half the ING Direct spots as well as the latest series for McDonalds and CIBC. Some you may have seen south of the border are the commercials for University of Phoenix, EBay (the little red boat, the clock collector and the maze? We called it the "wall of shame...") and the ever famous "Zamboni" spots for MasterCard (or was it Visa... they all meld together after a while... I did the last 2 of the series). I also worked on a whole series of Historical moments for Historica http://www.histori.ca/minutes/theme.....ClassicMinute
                        Those of us up in Canada will remember the "a part of our herritage" historical minutes. The only ones I didn't do on this page were "Avro Arrow" (pieced together from the mini-series "The Arrow"), "Governor Frontinac", "Halifax Explosion", and parts of "Valor Road". My favorite was "Andrew Mynarski" as I was the lead dresser for the Lancaster that we built in studio.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                          Complete crap in my opinion. Saw it last week and I hardly remember anything. That's the costliest movie in the history of film they say, man what a waste of money...Tobey McGuire must be one of the most boring actor of his generation, sharing the trophy with Topher Grace.
                          I won't agree about it being crap, but, it set a record for day one release, and yet, if I understand correctly, it will take them like 100 million more before they see any profit.

Myself, I'd be wanting to make a profit if I was going to do a film. Well at least the plan would likely be to make a profit.

But not every film can be like Blair Witch ie cost almost nothing, and end up making hundreds of millions. It might have been utterly worthless, but the Blair Witch was definitely a "win the lottery" grade of profit.
                          Life is change. Built models for decades.
                          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I've been a Spiderman fan since childhood and I would give this movie an 8. Petty entertaining. I thought it ran a bit long as well, but I liked the action sequences.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X