"Kokada" - U.S. release date April 25, 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Kokada" - U.S. release date April 25, 2007

The Australian film "Kokoda," released down under in April 2006, has been released here in the U.S. Has anyone seen this film? Is it worth watching when it is playing in town?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481390/
    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Havent seen it, but all the reviews ive read have been rave.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Seen It

Yeah I have seen it.
      Its already out in DVD over here in Australia

All I can say is I'm glad I only hired it out on DVD and never bought it.

I was a bit disappointed in it, the film had potential but was a bit to slow for me.
      Needed more action to keep the viewers attention.

However it did have its good points.

It did remain entirely believable and the Japs were not made out to be suicidal maniacs but were cunning soldiers with a murderous side who tortured their prisoners using them for bayonet practice before beheading them.

The few jungle fighting scenes in the film did seem more realistic than some gung-ho war flicks, with the good guys coming out of fighting worse off than the enemy in some of the skirmishes.

The movie is also pretty true to the mateship, determination and humour that the Aussie CMF "Chocolate Soldiers" displayed when faced with the grim situation of holding the trail for months without re-supply or reinforcements, a mission they accomplished with honour and courage.
      (Citizens Military Force (CMF)- the militia, which was made up of soldiers rejected for service in the AIF and conscripts who were under equipped, undertrained and mostly under 20. These men were dubbed "Chocolate Soldiers" by the disdainful AIF.
      They were also known as Koalas, because, like Koalas they were not to be shot at, not to be exported and were protected by the Government- there was a law protecting the militia from overseas service. But New Guinea was mandated Australian territory so the government argued that they could serve there and they were released for what was really overseas service.)

It wasn't the WORST war film I've seen by a long shot, I have seen far worse.

I suggest if you can that you hire the film first, then I you like it purchase it.
      You may enjoy it more than me after all.

Cheers,
      Dave
      Last edited by Aussie Dave; 01 May 07, 15:18.
      Roger, I see them. Attacking now

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Dave View Post
        Yeah I have seen it.
        Its already out in DVD over here in Australia

All I can say is I'm glad I only hired it out on DVD and never bought it.

I was a bit disappointed in it, the film had potential but was a bit to slow for me.
        Needed more action to keep the viewers attention.

However it did have its good points.

It did remain entirely believable and the Japs were not made out to be suicidal maniacs but were cunning soldiers with a murderous side who tortured their prisoners using them for bayonet practice before beheading them.

The few jungle fighting scenes in the film did seem more realistic than some gung-ho war flicks, with the good guys coming out of fighting worse off than the enemy in some of the skirmishes.

The movie is also pretty true to the mateship, determination and humour that the Aussie CMF "Chocolate Soldiers" displayed when faced with the grim situation of holding the trail for months without re-supply or reinforcements, a mission they accomplished with honour and courage.
        (Citizens Military Force (CMF)- the militia, which was made up of soldiers rejected for service in the AIF and conscripts who were under equipped, undertrained and mostly under 20. These men were dubbed "Chocolate Soldiers" by the disdainful AIF.
        They were also known as Koalas, because, like Koalas they were not to be shot at, not to be exported and were protected by the Government- there was a law protecting the militia from overseas service. But New Guinea was mandated Australian territory so the government argued that they could serve there and they were released for what was really overseas service.)

It wasn't the WORST war film I've seen by a long shot, I have seen far worse.

I suggest if you can that you hire the film first, then I you like it purchase it.
        You may enjoy it more than me after all.

Cheers,
        Dave
        Seems that many Aussies place a lot of worth, national Id in the actions of the few on the Kokoda Trail. IF that is the case then something less than a superb rendition of what transpired is unacceptable. Most of us, outside of Down under, know you very well and need no film.

HP
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

thanks for the comments, guys! If the film comes to town I will check it out.

yeah, I believe someone posted here about the Australian 'Chocolate soldiers,' so name because they would melted away in combat. I think it was also these soldiers were new and inexperienced so the nickname might be a bit unfair.

Comment

Dang how did this escape my notice?

The IMDB review was also reasonable, didn't gush on over it, but said it was a good enough film still.

I hope I can get to see it soon. I have always thought that event is under discussed in literature.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrocles View Post
              thanks for the comments, guys! If the film comes to town I will check it out.

yeah, I believe someone posted here about the Australian 'Chocolate soldiers,' so name because they would melted away in combat. I think it was also these soldiers were new and inexperienced so the nickname might be a bit unfair.
              Not True, this explains the origin of the name "Chocolate Soldiers"
              The name derived from the title character of Lehar's operetta The Chocolate Soldier (which was based on G.B. Shaw's Arms and the Man) who kept chocolates instead of bullets in his gun belt. The militia mostly bitterly resented the name, but some used it to chide the AIF after the Kokoda campaign because in the case of most the militia the chocolate did not melt.
              They were named Chocolate Soldiers because of their lack of Arms & Munitions and equipment supplied to them by the Army and Government during their deployment.

Cheers,
              Dave
              Last edited by Aussie Dave; 05 May 07, 07:13.

Comment

Not True, this explains the origin of the name "Chocolate Soldiers"
                They were named Chocolate Soldiers because of their lack of Arms & Munitions and equipment supplied to them by the Army and Government during their deployment.

Cheers,
                Dave
                If you are correct you need to educate the masses

edit...from google...

"CMF units were sometimes scorned as "chocolate soldiers", or "chockos" or "koalas" because of their inability to fight outside Australian territory. Chocolate soldiers came from a joke in the regular army that the militia would melt the first time in action and koalas as koalas were an animal that it was illegal to export or shoot."
                Last edited by Patrocles; 04 May 07, 18:42.

Comment

If you are correct you need to educate the masses

edit...from google...

"CMF units were sometimes scorned as "chocolate soldiers", or "chockos" or "koalas" because of their inability to fight outside Australian territory. Chocolate soldiers came from a joke in the regular army that the militia would melt the first time in action and koalas as koalas were an animal that it was illegal to export or shoot."
                  Did you read Post #3 in this thread?

I already explained all that in the post.

Here is the link with the FULL text:
                  http://ink.news.com.au/mercury/resources/kokoda.htm

Cheers,
                  Dave

Comment

Did you read Post #3 in this thread?

I already explained all that in the post.

Here is the link with the FULL text:
                    http://ink.news.com.au/mercury/resources/kokoda.htm

Cheers,
                    Dave

You are preaching to the choir, bub. I told you to go out and educate the masses!
                    haha You only cited the source of the name...the name also took on other meanings according to some posters and sites!

Comment

You are preaching to the choir, bub. I told you to go out and educate the masses!
                      haha You only cited the source of the name...the name also took on other meanings according to some posters and sites!
                      Ahhh....I see you sourced your material from Wikipedia.

Did you also read the disclaimer on the top of that Wikipedia page?
                      This article or section does not cite any references or sources.
                      Hmmm.... How did Wikipedia get it wrong I wonder?
                      (No Research or Source Material maybe?)

HaHa... I bet some of those posters you mentioned also read it on Wikipedia and took it as fact.

Cheers,
                      Dave

ps. I'm not saying you are at fault Patrocles, only that the material in Wikipedia is inaccurate
                      Last edited by Aussie Dave; 05 May 07, 11:19.

Comment

Ahhh....I see you sourced your material from Wikipedia.

Did you also read the disclaimer on the top of that Wikipedia page?

Hmmm.... How did Wikipedia get it wrong I wonder?
                        (No Research or Source Material maybe?)

HaHa... I bet some of those posters you mentioned also read it on Wikipedia and took it as fact.

Cheers,
                        Dave

ps. I'm not saying you are at fault Patrocles, only that the material in Wikipedia is inaccurate
                        Thanks for the info! Sorry for not explaining myself better at the start!

I first heard the incorrect definition from other posters on at least two forums. When I did my own search I got the same results. Probably like many others I was unaware of the correct definition until you posted your info. Looks like someone is misleading most of us about the true definition of a "chocolate soldier."

Cheers!

Comment

I have a question about this definition of "Militia" as underage and not qualified physically for the AEF. My understanding was the WW 1 veterans were also included in the Militia. They were a little older and not as physically agile as the young men in the AEF. I would take a veteran of Gallipoli or the Western Front in my foxhole with me over the younger men in the 8th Australian Division. These older gents at least knew what war was about and would not take stupid chances.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Actually went to see Kokoda at the invitation of the Australian Army. They invited all people who were going through the recruiting process along to an advanced screening. I also just finished watching it on Foxtel about 10 minutes ago.

I agree with Dave about it being a bit slow in places, but I like my films with a bit of a slower pace. I personally thought it was better on the big screen.

I would also suggest Messers Spielberg and Hanks have a bit of a watch in their preparation for their partner piece to Band of Brothers, The Pacific, due to start filming in Hawaii and Australia.

Kokoda certainly shows the more ugly side of war as well as the bond that grows between mates under the worst of conditions. I personally loved it and would recommend it to anyone, and think it should be required viewing in High school history classes.

If you do see it, remember that many of the scenes are inspired by the photography and film making of Damien Parer and the other journalists who were on the front line with the diggers. Also many of the plot points are based on incidents from the campaign. A prime example is the two brothers who are central to the storyline. They are based on two brothers who served with the 39th Battalion. Only one of the real brothers survived and he held his brother in his arms as he bled out from a stomach wound.

Kokoda is great. See it! You won't regret it.
                            War. Young men killing each other for the benefit of old men!

Comment

You have to remember this is not a Saving Private Ryan gorefest. Kokoda was deliberately shot as a horror movie to capture the fear and tension faced by soldiers in the PNG jungle. When I watched it for the first time on the big screen with mates, we were absolutely stunned. Every second has you waiting for the next ambush and desperate firefight. One of my favourite movies and definitely worth seeing at the movies.
                              Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X