The Great Raid vs Letters from Iwo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Raid vs Letters from Iwo

I am not saying one is great the other not. Frankly both films will enjoy being added to my collection.

But last night I watched Letters, and today I watched The Great Raid.

And I had a thought.
    In Letters, it is easy to see that not all of the Japanese were mindless banzai screaming emporer obsessed fanatics. But from watching Great Raid, one MUST remember, the Japanese army is VERY guilty of some very horrible actions against their enemies, and who cares if this was based on their culture.

Culture is never a defense against barbaric behaviour. And barbaric behaviour is not subject to interpretation, it simply is what it is.

In watching the two films, I think a reasonable balance can be seen in what it was like to deal with the Empire of Japan. I can only hope the Japanese people are equally capable of dealing with both films, not just the one that doesn't broad brush paint them as all fanatics.

It was a horrible time, and sadly, there were no shortage of horrible men in the Pacific.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Color me stupid

Originally posted by Aries View Post
    I am not saying one is great the other not. Frankly both films will enjoy being added to my collection.

But last night I watched Letters, and today I watched The Great Raid.

And I had a thought.
    In Letters, it is easy to see that not all of the Japanese were mindless banzai screaming emporer obsessed fanatics. But from watching Great Raid, one MUST remember, the Japanese army is VERY guilty of some very horrible actions against their enemies, and who cares if this was based on their culture.

Culture is never a defense against barbaric behaviour. And barbaric behaviour is not subject to interpretation, it simply is what it is.

In watching the two films, I think a reasonable balance can be seen in what it was like to deal with the Empire of Japan. I can only hope the Japanese people are equally capable of dealing with both films, not just the one that doesn't broad brush paint them as all fanatics.

It was a horrible time, and sadly, there were no shortage of horrible men in the Pacific.
    OK, How did you get a copy of Letters From Iwo Jima. last I heard it was not available until the end of May? If I am wrong tell so i can go and get it.

Chad
    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Your not stupid Creeping Death, I enjoyed a Japanese retail release.

It'll probably be frickin christmas before the market puts my dual release 5 disc copy in my hands.

Oh well.

Wanted to watch it in the theatre, but my hick town never brought it here
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X