Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pathfinder

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pathfinder

    Went and saw it friday night. For some reason, I am remided of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" and "300". Not a bad movie,with some interesting action scenes.

    The weapons seemed alright, but I don't like to see guys prancing around in rain holding a bow and arrow like they are going to use them. Folks, rain wets the string on the bow and loosens it. The horses are too big as well. These were big enough to carry knights! Oh and battle scenes were none of the horses get shot up by arrows? Regular long boats are too small to carry horses and slaves. I would have preferred to see less armor on the Norse, but I guess the director was "making an artistic statement". The armor was done to provoke fear in the audience.

    I am curious what any of you have to say about it.

    Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

    Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

    by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

  • #2
    I met 4 Norwegians the other day & we chatted about it. I haven't seen it, but it seemed to us it was another 'White people are evil" hollywood/left ploy.

    I don't suppose the makers of this film knew about the 2 native American children these horrible Vikings took back to Iceland as their parents had died & raised them as their own story, which is actually true.



    Um, P.S. The 13th Warrior was a bit of fun, except that the final battle was rather short & not the climax that it should've been.

    Comment


    • #3
      I see this film is an update of one of my favorites..also called "Pathfinder (Ofelas)" from 1987...I see Nils Gaup's name on both movies. I will have to read many reviews before deciding if I want to see the updated film version.

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/
      All your ACG posts are belong to us!

      Comment


      • #4
        The preview clips of battle scenes that I have seen had much more of the mood "Conan" than the Shwarzenegger films. Those of you familiar with Howard's original character will know what I man - darker, grimmer - the original Cimmerian did not play well with others.

        I am looking forward to seeing the entire film.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

        Comment


        • #5
          Here's my review.

          Ran into 4 Norwegians the other day & one of em mentioned the rather stupid portrayal of Viking culture & people this movie was full of. So I decided to see it.

          Oh boy, dumbass stuff. Like these guys would sail all the way across the ocean JUST To KILL some natives for the fun of it. Most of us know it's hollywood, but kids round the world can take some real bad ideas from the movie.

          The Vikings came across looking for farmland, hence the term Vinland in reference to the grapevines & lush forest & so on. & they were writers, poets & very spiritual as well, not just marauding beasts whose sole purpose in life is to get their jollies going round killing innocent people.

          What could & should have been a meaningful film about the heroic defense of the Native people's homeland, descended into an innacurate portrayal of history & as well the most negative & retarded characterization of the Norse peoples ever committed to film.

          The silly headgear & ridiculous ornate battle dress, why didn't they just call it Terminator 4?

          Even the portrayal of the natives fighting skill was shameful. They were great warriors. This film even got "that" wrong. Made up for it a little towards the end, but still very poor portrayal of their rather great skill, cunning & bravery.

          & even the ending,( the rope trick ), was ripped off from a Norwegian film done several yrs ago. The avalanche a lame attempt to cover this up. I suppose the scientific community will be interested to learn of this new innovative technique in causing an avalanche.

          I did seriously try & find any redeeming qualities in this retarded piece of cine, & the romance & the tribes accepting the main character as a boy into the tribe were the rare few positives found.

          For what it's worth, 2 native children actually were taken home to Iceland by the supposedely evil & horrible Vikings after their parents had died & raised as their own. There's a bit of "real" history for those interested in the subject.

          This was a great opportunity to tell an important & meaningful story with a message that was entireley wasted by unintelligent creative license. The end of the movie mentioned the main character scanning the land to make sure the hate never came back, the hate being whites. nice message. The makers of this film should get at least the Razzie award for this one.

          Comment


          • #6
            Seeing this is a re-make of a previous film about Sami in Northern Norway, the plot and story make more sense. I can't picture any place on the Eastern Coast of Canada like what the film was featuring.

            What was a bit disappointing, too was the message that the Native Americans were incapable of handling the Norse, and only another Norse could. Baloney!

            When the Norse tried to settle in North America, they were greatly outnumbered and were basically swamped. Their only chance was to do the Roving Trader strategy and maybe leave a few to stay and trade year round. When Europeans began to explore later on they found their was a barter system already set up on the beaches. You left trade goods at certain places and the Natives came, examined them and left what they thought they were worth in furs. This began to fall through when explorers and other Europeans began to seize every Native they could grab to bring back as novelties.

            Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

            Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

            by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
              The preview clips of battle scenes that I have seen had much more of the mood "Conan" than the Shwarzenegger films. Those of you familiar with Howard's original character will know what I man - darker, grimmer - the original Cimmerian did not play well with others.

              I am looking forward to seeing the entire film.
              yup i can concur.....cuz i've known 'Two gun Bob' for over forty years and was born less then a hundred miles from where he was.....according to my grandpa (who knew his father), before he died he used to do some serious drinking in that country...ie Brownwood. Gotta love that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Purple fang View Post
                Here's my review.

                Ran into 4 Norwegians the other day & one of em mentioned the rather stupid portrayal of Viking culture & people this movie was full of. So I decided to see it.

                Oh boy, dumbass stuff. Like these guys would sail all the way across the ocean JUST To KILL some natives for the fun of it. Most of us know it's hollywood, but kids round the world can take some real bad ideas from the movie.

                The Vikings came across looking for farmland, hence the term Vinland in reference to the grapevines & lush forest & so on. & they were writers, poets & very spiritual as well, not just marauding beasts whose sole purpose in life is to get their jollies going round killing innocent people.

                What could & should have been a meaningful film about the heroic defense of the Native people's homeland, descended into an innacurate portrayal of history & as well the most negative & retarded characterization of the Norse peoples ever committed to film.

                The silly headgear & ridiculous ornate battle dress, why didn't they just call it Terminator 4?

                Even the portrayal of the natives fighting skill was shameful. They were great warriors. This film even got "that" wrong. Made up for it a little towards the end, but still very poor portrayal of their rather great skill, cunning & bravery.

                & even the ending,( the rope trick ), was ripped off from a Norwegian film done several yrs ago. The avalanche a lame attempt to cover this up. I suppose the scientific community will be interested to learn of this new innovative technique in causing an avalanche.

                I did seriously try & find any redeeming qualities in this retarded piece of cine, & the romance & the tribes accepting the main character as a boy into the tribe were the rare few positives found.

                For what it's worth, 2 native children actually were taken home to Iceland by the supposedely evil & horrible Vikings after their parents had died & raised as their own. There's a bit of "real" history for those interested in the subject.

                This was a great opportunity to tell an important & meaningful story with a message that was entireley wasted by unintelligent creative license. The end of the movie mentioned the main character scanning the land to make sure the hate never came back, the hate being whites. nice message. The makers of this film should get at least the Razzie award for this one.
                Thanks for the review and opinion of the film! I definitely recommend seeing the 1987 film "Pathfinder (Ofelas)." See the link in my first post above.
                All your ACG posts are belong to us!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes I saw it. Entirely different film. Much better by the way.

                  The new one rips off the rope trick & the title, but little else. I love the scene where they surround the 4 year old native girl & scare the crap out of her & have a big laugh. Yah that's what a Norwegian warrior would do.

                  For those interested, the Norwegians stayed 12 years, ( & rocks found in Minnesota & other locales indicate very far inland excursions ), so obviously they got along fine for 11 plus years.

                  Greenland is devoid of trees, so one reason they came down was for trees for houses in Iceland & greenland. Not to torture Indians over the fireplace & scare 4 yr old girls. God what a dumbass movie.


                  P.S. & did anyone notice the main characters love interest became the Pathfinder at the end?, naturally one can't have a white in a leadership position amongst natives. & the big baddie even had a black assistant, ( I'd swear I saw that, perhaps I should see it again to be sure). Just to paint the Norse as ugly as humanly possible, they were slavers to boot. Surprised they didn't have Swastikas on their battle gear.

                  God what a dumass movie.
                  Last edited by Purple fang; 22 Apr 07, 19:00.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Purple fang View Post
                    Surprised they didn't have Swastikas on their battle gear.

                    God what a dumass movie.
                    To be honest with you, im quite suprised they didnt put swastikas on their gear. They took it far enough with the "Evil European White Man thing", why not all the way? Seeing how there were versions of a swastika like symbol in use in the Norse rune system, im shocked they didnt have them splattered all over everything.
                    Last edited by KGPanzerschrecK; 23 Apr 07, 23:34.
                    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

                    Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

                    NorbertSnyderJr.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The main baddie even had a black assistant, slavers to boot. The only half redeeming quality shown was the scene where they gave the Native a sword to fight with,but even "that" was unfair & dishonorable as he didn't have armor.& Wwsn't it amazing how the hero grew up in Canada amongst the natives & amazingly he had near magical sword skills soon as he picked it up?

                      The 1st Pathfinder movie showed similiar spiritual practices to the native Americans, rolling the bones, or stones.

                      Comment

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X