Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films of the First World War

Films of the First World War

World War I films have a commonality - senseless mass charges into machine-gun fire, tangles of barbed wire, clouds of poison gas, and denuded landscapes.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post

Films of the First World War

World War I films have a commonality - senseless mass charges into machine-gun fire, tangles of barbed wire, clouds of poison gas, and denuded landscapes.

Dr. S.
    Nice write up. I think "All Quiet On The Western Front" is one of my favorite films...very impressive work that has held up well (the scenes where they follow the boots from soldier to soldier is chilling imho ).

I did not care for the Sgt. York film probably for the reasons stated in the article.

I have yet to see "Wings."
    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

"All Quiet" is one of my favorites also. For it's time, the battle scenes are quite well done. Blue Max is another classic.
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Great Pics. I would add Gallipoli and the made-for-TV The Lost Battalion.

Comment

Oh Gallipoli, I almost forgot that one myself.
          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

I am truly surprised that The Blue Max didn't make the list. It was another superb film with a strong message.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
              I am truly surprised that The Blue Max didn't make the list. It was another superb film with a strong message.
              Always read past the first page.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&p=3335&page=2

Comment

Another film

I'm kind of partial to Chanuk Bair, set during the Gallipolli campaign. But it is kind of hard to find if you're not living in New Zealand.

Comment

Really, there is a dearth of World War 1 films on the market. Honestly, the most recent film was what, Fly Boys?

There's so much to offer, but Hollywood just doesn't want to touch it it seems.

ACG should make their own film. God knows there are enough re-enactors to do it here, probably with their own uniforms, weapons, bi-planes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
                    ACG should make their own film. God knows there are enough re-enactors to do it here, probably with their own uniforms, weapons, bi-planes, etc.
                    Having been around at the forum: I intend to agree. We have such a lot of talent if put together: reenactors, game developers, scholars, serving military... We only should find an opportunity outside the forums to put it to got use, a movie is perhaps not even the worst of ideas...
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I recently saw Flyboys.

While I thought it was a good movie, I just can't imagine myself wanting a copy of it.

I am unsure I find most WW1 films sufficiently gripping.

Lawrence of Arabia was WW1 of course, and it's definitely an exception.
                      Sgt York is perhaps the best I have seen that is closer to the actual feel of the war as I know of it. I have never been to attached to the ones dealing with the war in the air though. I don't think Doctor Zhivago has more than a glancing blow at WW1.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I liked both versions of "All quiet on the western front". Those are my two favorites with the original being #1 of course but the remake wasnt bad at all IMHO.

EDIT: I just remembered, cant think of the name of the movie, but A&E TV did a movie a few years back about a US Army unit getting cut off in the woods and being surrounded by the Germans. It was a great movie and a true story. It stared that guy from the TV show in the '80s, "Silver Spoon". Anyone know what im talking about?
                        Last edited by KGPanzerschrecK; 24 Apr 07, 00:00.
                        http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

I think you are refering to "The Lost Battalion".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287535/

On the old TV show Gilligan's Island, Gilligan at one point says his grandfather served in this unit. He was the guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Dyess View Post
                            I think you are refering to "The Lost Battalion".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287535/

On the old TV show Gilligan's Island, Gilligan at one point says his grandfather served in this unit. He was the guide.
                            Yeah, that was it. That was a good movie. I alway wondered how much better it could of been if they would of had some more money behind it. The actors were great and i didnt want to see them changed, im just wondering how much better the movie could of been if they had more cash if you know what i mean.

I didnt know that about Gilligan. I wonder if one of the shows writers was related to the real guy or maybe the guy who played Gilligan was related to him?
                            Last edited by KGPanzerschrecK; 24 Apr 07, 14:23.
                            http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Comment

Theres an old movie (1936) called "the Road to Glory" that I saw years ago thats pretty good. Its about a French unit in the trenches. There are two scenes that I remember...one where they are at the front and are in the last few hours before they are scheduled for relief. Underneath them, the Germans are digging a mine shaft-they can hear them but are powerless to do anything about it but pray that relief comes.
                              In the end of the movie, a batch of replacements come in. The CO gives them a short speech that go's something like: "This is a proud regiment with proud history...we do not require that you add to that history. We require that you never detract from it".
                              For a great listing of WWI movies, look up www.warshows.com
                              Last edited by Parasocko; 25 Apr 07, 08:24. Reason: spelling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X