replied
    Three questions:

1) Why did they make Part III?
    2) Why Sophia Coppola?
    3) Why did Fredo have to die?

Leave a comment:

• Overseer
    replied
    I have to say, I'm surprised by the poll results so far, I always thought the Part II's outnumbered the Part I's.

Leave a comment:

• Slug
    replied
    The food scenes turn me on.
    Italian food looks good!
    I always wish I could stop the movie and clean the plates for the chief of police and the other guy Michael killed, before they made such an untidy mess and wasted food. Couldn't they die neatly? I hate wasting food!

Why didn't Captain Corelone, USMC, have a regulation haircut?

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Part I for me. As said earlier the baptism sequence is just fantastic. Although Part II does have Robert De Niro slicing up the belly of some fat don over in Sicily. That was a good too.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Part I.

Leave a comment:

• panzermacher
    replied
    Had to go with part II I like part I, but II is more intense!

Leave a comment:

• Freightshaker
    replied
    Definitely Part II. The sequences from the early 1900's of Vito growing up and becoming the "public" figure he was are the best parts of all three pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Doctor Sinister
    replied
    I too believe that both films are suitably epic in scope and amazing in execution, however Part 1 has the edge for me.

Part 2 flip-flops about a bit too much for my liking and loses a bit of focus as a result.

Part 1 however documents Michael's fall from the light and his rise to power in a compelling way. The scene in the restaurant just prior to Michael's execution of Sollozo and the Police Chief, as he struggles with his conscience and embarks down his dark path is awesome. Equally, the final moments of the film as he is finally welcomed as Godfather, his Lieutenants kissing his ring (oo-er) whilst his wife is alienated from his new life are brilliantly filmed. And, as Overseer has pointed out, Michael's "rejection of all evil" in the baptism scene, whilst his men are simultaneously wiping out the other crime lords is simply superb.

Part 1 all the way.

Dr. S.

Leave a comment:

• The Cooler King
    replied
    How do you say banana daiquiri?

Leave a comment:

• Overseer
    started a poll Which Godfather movie reigns superior?

Which Godfather movie reigns superior?

Godfather Part I
    72.73%
    Godfather Part II
    27.27%
    From the best movie thread, there's an occasional tangent between Part I and Part II. Part III will be ignored for the sake of real discussion. And I'm forcing a choice on one or the other, if you liked one you're pretty much required to like the other almost as much - but I'm not allowing middle ground here.

Just to clarify - I think they're both two absolutely amazing films.

Now on to my argument:

Part I is a far more interesting film to me, you have Michael - he was a war hero, looked to have a promising life removed from the family business ("That's my family Kay, that's not me."). Then in the course of subtle (and not so subtle) machinations of the mob world, Michael slowly becomes drawn into the family, proves his worth and commitment to the family, and then eventually rises ruthlessly to lead the family AND catapult the Corleone family to a position of great power in the city/country. Also, the entire Baptism sequence is one of the greatest moments of film.

Part II still a very solid film. And holds up with the complex machinations of the mob world and world in general. You get some back story on Vito, some political events, etc. This movie more explains the madness that comes with the power Michael has attained. It's a great look on that theme, but I think pales in comparison to the story of his rise in power. Also, while it has some great sequences, it in my opinion lacks something that compares to the Baptism sequence.

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
    Berlin.1945
    by casanova
    The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
    Yesterday, 23:41
  • casanova
    AW 169M
    by casanova
    The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
    Yesterday, 23:26
  • JBark
    What changed?
    by JBark
    There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
    Yesterday, 18:54
Working...
X