Bigtime Mistakes in War Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigtime Mistakes in War Movies

Have you ever watched a war movie and were thinking to yourself, ok this isnt too bad, and all of a sudden there is something so out of place, historicly speaking, that it just almost ruins the movie for you?{im not talking a movie like Battle of the Bulge where the German Tanks are American} You lean in to your buddy your watching the flick with and you say "thats a load of bull, they didnt have that weapon until 1943", and he tells you to shut up and watch the movie. Well this is the thread for you! Spout off here and vent your frustrations. Ill get the ball rolling.

Ill never forget the night. The first nights screening of "Enemy at the Gates". What do i see running around in the background but a T-34/85! In December of '42? Dont make me laugh.

Ok guys, and girl, lets hear your stories.
    Last edited by KGPanzerschrecK; 28 Mar 07, 02:08.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

NorbertSnyderJr.com

Well there is that famous Tiger tank in SPR that was out of place, the Americans didn't have any Tiger tanks on their front in Normandy unitl very late in the campaign. Also, the Marder (or whatever it was) was also out of place, the SS-Panzerdivisionen didn't have any afaik.

Another tank "fault" in Full Metal Jacket where we can admire beautiful M41 Walker Bulldogs...which the Marines didn't have (they had M48A3 Pattons, only the ARVN used M41s)

Comment

I believe some of the beach obstacles in Saving Private Ryan were facing the wrong way...

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

In the film Pearl Harbor, they were still fighting the Battle Of Britain in 1941

In the same stupid film they also showed USAAF pilots being 'volunteered' to serve in the RAF Eagle Squadrons.

No USAAF pilot ever served in the Eagle squadrons, in fact the US government insisted to the British government that no ex-USAAF or ex-USN pilots should be allowed to serve in those squadrons, due to the US Neutrality Act.

Comment

Pearl Harbor/ the ships, the ships, guided missile Destroyer's OMG rotflmao

Boonie, I can go with the M41, Marines would steal anything and ARVAN would sell anything

HP
          Last edited by Half Pint John; 28 Mar 07, 07:16.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
            Pearl Harbor/ the ships, the ships, guide missles Destroy's OMG rotflmao

HP
            Ahah yes, and I think there are some images of modern US aircraft carriers in place of the japanese ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
              Ahah yes, and I think there are some images of modern US aircraft carriers in place of the japanese ones.
              I didn't see them, had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. For me that is the all time pits of "Major" war movies.

Hows the weather in down town DP today, u sure get around

HP
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Well from the re-enactment community I infer there are tons of uniform errors.
                The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
                  Well from the re-enactment community I infer there are tons of uniform errors.
                  Hehe makes me think of the unfamous overweight reenactors in Gettysburg

Comment

ALthough I love the film, in "Glory", they show the assault on Battery Wagner as done by the 54th Mass & it appears like it is only them....in real life there were white units in support who also charged & were repulsed.

Braveheart....the battle for Stamford Bridge-there is no BRIDGE!

Here is a good website that lists a lot of these errors: http://www.taphilo.com/history/warmovies.shtml
                    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Maybe not a historical movie but it always bothered me that in an otherwise fantastic movie Ran there are no bodies.

Toward the end of the movie the Red samurai are charging the Blue Samurai with the Blue having muskets. The Blue slaughter the Red who retreat in disarray with the Blue following across the field. There are no dead Red samurai or their horses! Nothing, just an open field. Where are they?

Like I said though, a great movie except for this nagging part.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Harrison Ford pointing an RPG at the ark near the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Germans using MP40s and P38s in 1936. Germans in Egypt in 1936. Love the movie and this doesn't take away from my enjoyment of it. Just things I noticed.
                        Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

The line "A recon element from the 2nd SS" in SPR.....IF memory serves me right..the 2nd SS were over in the Caen area fighting the British...and nowhere near this place......And if they were..I'd fire them as a recon element cuz they were REALLY lost!

In "Ark" How did Indy hide on a U-boat? I been in the one in Chicago and ....well there just Isn't anywhere to hide! And the map as they were showing him flying to Egypt showed IRAN.....Shouldn't it have been Persia back then in 1936? and of course the famous RPG scene. Panzerfausts didn't come to be until like 1942.

DOn't get me started on Pearl Harbor! To many mistakes to name.

"The Longest Day" If one looks at the angle of the sun.....one can see that they are landing on a Northern coastline of Europe at sunset!. In a few of the scenes....the sun is in the wrong place.
                          Which bring me to "The Green Berets" Among many mistakes in that movie.....the one that really bugs me is at the end when the sun sets on the coast of Vietnam!!????? Wait a minute..to have a sunset...shouldn't Vietnam HAVE a west coast! It doesn't on the map!

And the other flicks with the NEVER emptying magazines....the "Eternal belt of Ammo" and other things of that nature
                          Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                          In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                          Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Picking on films is often like picking on the performance of the athletes at the Special Olympics though.

Heck it's Hollywood, do you actually expect those morons to actually get it right deliberately? Any time a movie is correct, it was probably accidental.

What bothers me, is watching a documentary, where the whole point is to learn something, and seeing something that screams out "what low forehead moron editted this crap?"

The worst commonly done offense, has to be latewar German armour on the film, while the narrator is discussing some early war topic in the dialogue.
                            And you are left to ponder, are they truely unaware, that you shouldn't be discussing 1939 Poland, while simultaneously showing video of Tiger II armour?

No excuse for that. No excuse for inserting the same ole crap file footage while pretending to speak authoratively on a military topic.

Chances are, if your military documentary is less than 10 years old, it will be badly rehashed to hell material. I usually prefer stuff done from the 70s or earlier. Less flash bang in the show, but the material is probably at least not rehashed to hell material. Not that the old stuff is flawless.
                            That complaint made at the start of my post, comes from a veteran classic series.
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
                              you shouldn't be discussing 1939 Poland, while simultaneously showing video of Tiger II armour?
                              Seen that clip about a thousand times
                              Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X