Saw 300 tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw 300 tonight

Well this film greatly exceeded my expectations.

I went in worried it would soil the memory of the older film classic, and I came out unsure which film was better.

This is a guy movie all the way though, don't waste time taking your woman to see it.

I liked just about everything about the film 100%

It will be gracing my dvd collection when the chance allows it.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Originally posted by Aries View Post
    Well this film greatly exceeded my expectations.

I went in worried it would soil the memory of the older film classic, and I came out unsure which film was better.

This is a guy movie all the way though, don't waste time taking your woman to see it.

I liked just about everything about the film 100%

It will be gracing my dvd collection when the chance allows it.
    Did it seem that the other theater patrons received it positively?
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Very entertaining, but so was Pearl Harbor. I saw the History Channel special explaining why they did it this way. What I would have given to see more Phalanx tactics and less individual fighting. Where were the Helots? When the Spartans went to Plataea, they mobilised 5,000 Spartiates, 5,000 "equals" and 35,000 Helots. Since this pretty well mobilized all Spartiates, they were wise to bring so many Helots with them.

The Spartan short sword was famous in this period, yet instead we see a Spanish Celt Cavalry sword on the Spartans. OUCH!

What happened to the other Spartan King? There were two of them.

Why is it always the slaveowners that make the biggest fuss about THEIR freedom? Many Greeks were not free and had no chance to become free. Sparta had a slave system more insidious than the one we got rid of in the US.

Rant over.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I saw it last night as well. Although I am a Historian & therefore tend to pick non-historical things apart, for movies like this I can suspend belief for 2 hours. This was NOT a History-Channel or a flick that even pretends to claim that everything is 100% Historically correct. Frank Miller takes a historical event & makes an amazing & intense story that takes you to ancient Greece & sets you down in the middle of it. I highly enjoyed it. It was pure eye candy & intensely fun to watch. In my area there were 5 different theaters playing the movie, so it wasn't sold out when I went to see it. The theater was about 2/3rds the way full & the audience seemed to REALLY like it. There were audience-wide laughs at the funny lines, gasps at the really intense parts, & nearly everyone was clapping at the end. My crowd was mostly college-age students, but there were several "older" couples 40+.

Personally I give it a 9/10.....not a perfect movie, but one of the best action flicks I've seen in a bit. The guy who played Leonidas did an excellent job.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

It is important to remember, that the old film 300 Spartans was probably interested in history (in as much as any film ever is) while this film "300" was only interested in being faithful to the comic.

Thus, any comment regarding historicity is a complete waste of breath and missing an important truth, history was not as important, and dedication to the act of bringing the comic to life was the focus of the film.

The film is shot with a colouration that is entirely mood oriented. It's not filmed in the usual way.

The action scenes were filmed brilliantly in as much as it was the action scenes that counted for their action.

I think the audience liked it, but hell I couldn't care if they didn't hehe. My friend and I both agreed, this film might have improved on the classic, and that doesn't happen often.

The combat was mean vicious gory bloody violent and very "awesome" looking. Almost anime grades of body fluids being spilt hehe.

When the Rhino charges, it initially looked like some manner of mythological beast, it certainly didn't look like any rhino I have ever scene in real life. The elephants, same thing. So basically complaints about technical accuracy of the set are again, likely a waste of breath.

Those going to see 300 for a history lesson are missing a very important detail, this isn't a historical narrative. Xereces in my view looked like he was altogether too tall, but the exageration was probably intentional. And the mutant warrior probably was again a trick of camera angle. Hell the mutant likely wasn't even a real human, but merely drawn.

The film was done all in front of a blue screen apparently, so heck you can't really complain about the terrain, it was all drawn that way intentionally.

I don't recall any horribly deformed hunchback selling out the greeks either, and this guy was as badly deformed as is possible to imagine.

My friend made an interesting remark following the film as well. He's never seen so much in your face man flesh, without an iota of homosexual overtone before in a film. You won't need to feel ill at easy if you are straight, watching this film, these were all hard core warriors built and bred for battle. They just didn't wear much beyond what looked like leather lioncloths, footwear and helmets.

Comment

As Aries said - there's no point in complaining about historical accuracy or tactics - it was never the intention - and they never said it was the intention.

One interesting note, Aries in test screenings it actually scored higher with women (18-24 I believe) then men, and in fact it scored higher than any romantic comedy or other traditionally female oriented movie.

Probably going to check out 300 sometime this weekend...
            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Hmmm.

Well maybe there is something to be said for all those muscles aplenty in view for the ladies hehe.

Although there was a bit of female flesh for the guys, but it was brief and limited.

Comment

I say that this would be kinda like an ancient legend retelling of the 300.

Hey if anyone wants to argue historical inaccuracy maybe we should go talk to Homer or Herodotus about men hurling giant boulders by themselves and those great heroic epic fights....

I haven't seen it but I imagine it to be like a movie of a verbal legend. (which tend to be over-the-top anyways)
                The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Barcelona Blum,

You know the size of those boulders got bigger every time the story was re-told. If we could have set up a camcorder, I bet they would have originally been seen as fist sized! Those one on one contests might have been a little more accurate. One of the things I liked about Troy was the use of a little guy, Brad Pitt as Achilles. He went one on one with several guys and won on speed, something many big dudes lacked back then.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I'm gonna go see it...eventually.....like the reports I'm hearing on it.
                    Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                    In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                    Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X