• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J. J. Abrams to direct Star Trek XI

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...ebcf5c67efa0ce
    Abrams takes helm of 'Star Trek'

By Tatiana Siegel

Feb 24, 2007

The Starship Enterprise finally has a new captain.

After months of speculation, J.J. Abrams has signed on to direct the next installment of the "Star Trek" feature franchise, sources said late Friday. "Star Trek XI" revolves around a young James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, chronicling their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and their first space mission.

Abrams, the prolific co-creator/executive producer of "Lost" and director of "Mission: Impossible III" has been developing the project through his Paramount-based Bad Robot shingle as a producer and writer.

But Abrams did not commit to directing the project until Friday evening, when the deal was finalized, sources say. Abrams reps at WMA and those at Paramount declined comment.
    This could be very interesting! I wonder who Abram's strong female lead will be as he always seems to create them.....
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
    I wonder who Abram's strong female lead will be as he always seems to create them.....
    Beyonce as Uhura?

It's about time. As much as I love Star Trek, this franchise needed new blood.
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Its about time! I havent had a Star Trek fix in ages.
      i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Comment

Star Trek XI: In Search of Geriatica...

"Your name...is...Spock? My name...is...James T. K...u-r-r-r-k."

The popcorn will be fortified with Geritol and Levacor.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Let's just hope they give him a big budget to work with. The last couple of Star Trek movies didn't have that and you could tell.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

They had better have Klingons in this movie!!

Or its no more Mr. Nice Guy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
              They had better have Klingons in this movie!!

Or its no more Mr. Nice Guy!!!
              They do - check the area around Uranus!

Comment

If it's about Kirk and Spocks academy days maybe it should be Star Tubthumping.
                Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Harve Bennett floated this idea in the early/mid nineties, after Star Trek Six. He wanted this movie then instead of Generations, but was shot down and left the production company in a fit of petulance. Looks like he finally got his wish.

What I don't understand about the Star Trek powers that be is their determined resistance to do stories advancing from the point where Deep Space Nine left off. Instead they put out Voyager, which had to be saved by linking it to the current Alpha Quadrant setting and introducing Seven of Boobs, and then Enterprise, which also tried to save itself by doing an episode on the Borg, also a current Alpha Quadrant time line setting opponent. Can't they get the message? Fans want the story line advanced durnig the DS 9 years to continue somehow, but they just won't do it.

Suppose this movie is a huge hit, what will be next, the Adventures of Young Kirk and Spock Two?

I rather watch the Fantastic Four. At least they had the sense to bring in the Silver Surfer.

Comment

Star Trek XI : In Search Of Profits

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
                      Unlike the Bond movies, X-Men, Rocky XXX, Friday the 13th ad infinitum, and just about any other movie that makes a buck!
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

There you go!

I liked ST when I was a kid and teenager. And I liked ST: TNG when I was a young man. Then I drifted away from it (and most TV). A few years ago, just for the heck of it, I started watching it again and watching the newer ones. Gee, they're not very good. usually it's a bunch of SCI Fi Egg Heads just talking their way out of a situation whule somber-serious music plays in the background.

So, with this new movie, they ought to have Opra as the captain and she and her guests can talk their way out of an encounter with six Klingon battlecruisers.
                        Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

We would kill Oprah as a matter of honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcloud6 View Post
                            There you go!

I liked ST when I was a kid and teenager. And I liked ST: TNG when I was a young man. Then I drifted away from it (and most TV). A few years ago, just for the heck of it, I started watching it again and watching the newer ones. Gee, they're not very good. usually it's a bunch of SCI Fi Egg Heads just talking their way out of a situation whule somber-serious music plays in the background.

So, with this new movie, they ought to have Opra as the captain and she and her guests can talk their way out of an encounter with six Klingon battlecruisers.
                            The Klingons no doubt played by Geraldo, and the Borg by Jerry Springer?

by Evans: Unlike the Bond movies, X-Men, Rocky XXX, Friday the 13th ad infinitum, and just about any other movie that makes a buck!
                            While this comment is true, it does not either create good films or serve as an excuse for a film industry that long ago lost the creative spirit. Sequels are a director's way of saying he has nothing new to say, but he would like to get paid for it anyway.

Comment

The most honest director in Hollywood, Mel Brooks:
                              "Hopefully we'll all meet again in Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money."

[Which he had the good sense NOT to make.]
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X