Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starship Troopers, best war movie of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duncan, you might be confusing my suggestion that all should read it with an endorsement of its ideas.
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
      I agree with that - along with my autobiography.

Dr. S.
      I keep a copy of your autobiography in a special room with a porcelain fixture so that I can peruse it during those moments of deep contemplation...just before I reach for the handle.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
        I keep a copy of your autobiography in a special room with a porcelain fixture so that I can peruse it during those moments of deep contemplation...just before I reach for the handle.
        Garbage in, garbage out.....

Please don't send me to room 223.....
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
          Garbage in, garbage out.....

Please don't send me to room 223.....

BTW - Starship Poopers is a terrible movie, and the sequel was worse. Had ST been made by someone like Spielberg who understood the underlying philosophy and message, it might have been a classic.
          Instead, we got an intergalactic stinker.

Comment

BTW - Starship Poopers is a terrible movie, and the sequel was worse. Had ST been made by someone like Spielberg who understood the underlying philosophy and message, it might have been a classic.
            Instead, we got an intergalactic stinker.
            Roger that!
            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
              Starship Troopers did the impossible, it wrecked a classic novel worse than the Dune movie wrecked the book Dune.

The word "best" should not be applied to Starship Troopers unless immediately followed by "example of garbage scifi film ever".
              Uh.

It has Denise Richards, so there...

Comment

Awful, formulaic, stupid movie. Great book.
                The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                  Uh.

It has Denise Richards, so there...

I agree. She is the highlight of the movie ...that and Patrick Muldoon taking a brain sucker to the head.

CD
                  "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                    You remember kind of military, which the book argues in chapter two, this would produces? A service full of people who cannot be denied entry for any reason other than inability to understand the oath. Everyone forgets that bit. You must also consider what happens when the military controls the government? Which is a defacto state of affairs when only those with service are allowed to vote. And what about others who have made great contributions to their county? Industrialists, scientists, doctors... hasn't their service and sacrifice earned them the right to vote? Doesn't the hard working dedicated entrepreneur, who contributes hundreds of thousands in taxes, get a say in how his money is spent? Without him who would pay for the bloated military that cannot find work for all the unqualified, but constitutionally guaranteed membership. Also, membership in the military is cheapened when it is open to everyone regardless of ability, aptitude, dedication, disability, etc... Like the recruiting sergeant points out, membership in the military is stylish rather than purposeful or meaningful.
                    Incorrect: the book made it clear that only those qualified could enter themilitary. Those that weren't were given other duties, such as testing dangerous equipment.

Comment

Uh.

It has Denise Richards, so there...]

Who's she? (that's a question meant to denote I likely don't care ).
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I hope you noticed how absorbent we made the paper.

Dr. S.
                        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
                          I hope you noticed how absorbent we made the paper.

Dr. S.
                          Soft too!
                          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Uh.

Some google-foo will help, but in general it's a moderately successful actress with commonly judges pleasing appearance. Enough to make a movie worth it regardless of story and effects and all that nonsense

Comment

Uh.

Never mind Redwolf's lengthy explanation - - she's Charlie Sheen's squeeze, and we all know Charlie!

Or, let's just say that she's "cute and perky"...

Comment

Actually she ditched Charlie Sheen.

Well, not for me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X