The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dresden Files

The Dresden Files premiered tonight just before Battlestar. I was disappointed that it only got a one hour premier, as the necessary information to properly introduce a man as complex as the Dresden character needed far more time.

In addition, the producers failed to capitalize on Dresden's singular talent, the only living wizard walking among us openly. In fact, they didn't even drss him properly. The "real" Drwesden is known throughout the magical society as a man who always wears a full length leather coat which has been "hardened" against sorcery and spells by wizardry of his own, through experience gained painfully over the years.

They did well with bringing the spirit Bob to life, although again the audience had to take the events on faith with a healthy dose of WTF?! as the prducers make no effort to explain the rather strange status of Bob the Sjull, and that he is centuries old and steeped in the lore of countless wizards and sorcerers himself - or that he is strangely sexually hyperactive at odd moments.

Having read all of the Dresden novels, I understand where the characters came from and their many abilities and quirks; unless the audience gets to know all about Dresden's strange world very quickly, they are not going to appreciate the character and will lose interest, and rightfully so.

It is to be hoped that the series improves in the future, or this may rank as one of the greatest let-downs since sci-fi got into the wrestling business.

One thumb at half-mast; I'm still hopeful.

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
    The Dresden Files premiered tonight just before Battlestar. I was disappointed that it only got a one hour premier, as the necessary information to properly introduce a man as complex as the Dresden character needed far more time.

In addition, the producers failed to capitalize on Dresden's singular talent, the only living wizard walking among us openly. In fact, they didn't even drss him properly. The "real" Drwesden is known throughout the magical society as a man who always wears a full length leather coat which has been "hardened" against sorcery and spells by wizardry of his own, through experience gained painfully over the years.

They did well with bringing the spirit Bob to life, although again the audience had to take the events on faith with a healthy dose of WTF?! as the prducers make no effort to explain the rather strange status of Bob the Sjull, and that he is centuries old and steeped in the lore of countless wizards and sorcerers himself - or that he is strangely sexually hyperactive at odd moments.

Having read all of the Dresden novels, I understand where the characters came from and their many abilities and quirks; unless the audience gets to know all about Dresden's strange world very quickly, they are not going to appreciate the character and will lose interest, and rightfully so.

It is to be hoped that the series improves in the future, or this may rank as one of the greatest let-downs since sci-fi got into the wrestling business.

One thumb at half-mast; I'm still hopeful.
    I tried my best to catch it, but this stomach bug has kept me on my ass as of late. So what is the synopsis, MM? A Supernatural crime drama?

Comment

Watching the show, I thought was done pretty good (I can honestly say I have never heard of the main character before, just a big scifi guy), but I did not realize it was a premier. I guess they wanted to have other episodes to cover the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
        I tried my best to catch it, but this stomach bug has kept me on my ass as of late. So what is the synopsis, MM? A Supernatural crime drama?
        Dresden is a working wizard in the real world. He doesn't do party tricks and he doesn't teach. He does try, often not too successfully,to make al iving in the real world.

The real world is speerated from the spirit world by a thin veil which conceals iot from normal people. From time to time, beings from the other side cross over and commit various acts on our side, acts which the police cannot understand or solve. When this happens the local police, very reluctantly, call on Dresden to lend his expertise. He has has a love-hate relationship with Murphy, the police lieutenant who has reluctantly agreed to use his services from time to time.

In the book, the Dresden character cannot use electricity well, and cannot use electronics at all. Something about wizardry burns them oput. He must stick to simple cars, for the same reason. Sophisticated, modern ones do not tolerate his presence well at all.

He has a several-hundred-year-old skull he calls Bob, which has belonged to other wizards before him and which holds a spirit steped in arcane knowledge and spells...and an attitude. Bob is also something of a sex freak, and yearns to get out every century or so and spend a day or two in sex and debauchery. Keepng a lid on Bob is a dfull-time job by itself.

Per the priginal books, Dresden is under a permanent death warrant for killing another wizard using his own arcane skills. All that keeps him uneasily alive is that a) the wizard was his father, and b) it was self-defence. The High Council is merely looking, however, for any infraction to carry out the sentence, in the person of the Warden, the Arcance Enforcer of such decisions. So Dresden walks a tightrope.

On the premier, Dresden was called in by a child to stop a Skin Walker, a being that can assume the outer skin and persona of any person. The child was kidnapped by the Ravens, a supernatural clan that provides muscle for others in the supernatural world, and who take the wordly form of birds on our side of the veil. It was pretty well done, but as I mentioned, it takes more than an hour to introduce a complex character like Dresden. I thought they did a good job with Bob, though.

Comment

Well, I missed the Sunday showing, but I caught it tonight after another great Heroes episode. I'm wanting more now, especially after MM's posts about the wizard's history. I'm gonna have to hit the library to see if they have any of the books.

It is obvious Dresden loved and respected his father a great deal. Which makes me wonder: what were the circumstances surrounding why Dresden had to defend himself from him? I'm sure they'll drop that bomb later, but it hooked me enough to wanna find out more before then.
          Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Per the priginal books, Dresden is under a permanent death warrant for killing another wizard using his own arcane skills. All that keeps him uneasily alive is that a) the wizard was his father, and b) it was self-defence. The High Council is merely looking, however, for any infraction to carry out the sentence, in the person of the Warden, the Arcance Enforcer of such decisions. So Dresden walks a tightrope.
            It wasn’t his father but rather another wizard that took him in after his father died. Also the warrant for his death has been lifted.

The Premier episode wasn’t supposed to be the Premier episode. We can probably expect something that makes a lot more sense to come along later.
            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Dresden is a working wizard in the real world. He doesn't do party tricks and he doesn't teach. He does try, often not too successfully,to make al iving in the real world.

The real world is speerated from the spirit world by a thin veil which conceals iot from normal people. From time to time, beings from the other side cross over and commit various acts on our side, acts which the police cannot understand or solve. When this happens the local police, very reluctantly, call on Dresden to lend his expertise. He has has a love-hate relationship with Murphy, the police lieutenant who has reluctantly agreed to use his services from time to time.

In the book, the Dresden character cannot use electricity well, and cannot use electronics at all. Something about wizardry burns them oput. He must stick to simple cars, for the same reason. Sophisticated, modern ones do not tolerate his presence well at all.

He has a several-hundred-year-old skull he calls Bob, which has belonged to other wizards before him and which holds a spirit steped in arcane knowledge and spells...and an attitude. Bob is also something of a sex freak, and yearns to get out every century or so and spend a day or two in sex and debauchery. Keepng a lid on Bob is a dfull-time job by itself.

On the premier, Dresden was called in by a child to stop a Skin Walker, a being that can assume the outer skin and persona of any person. The child was kidnapped by the Ravens, a supernatural clan that provides muscle for others in the supernatural world, and who take the wordly form of birds on our side of the veil. It was pretty well done, but as I mentioned, it takes more than an hour to introduce a complex character like Dresden. I thought they did a good job with Bob, though.
              Well, I saw the premier and the most recent episode tonight. I have too say that I think I've found a show to fill my BSG gap.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Comment

Marines: I wish you hadn't remined me of tonights episode of Bull S*** Galore, otherwise known as BSG.

The producers have strayed so far from the original premise of finding Earth and saving humanity that the series now has the appearance of a some sort of low-budget galactic soap opera. Will Apollo have sex with Starbuck? Will Starbuck even be sober enough to tell? Stay tuned...film at 11:00.

As for Dresden, they seem to be doing a fair job, although the chronology is mixed up, certain of his characteristics have been altered or otherwise ignored, and it must be a little confusing to those who do not know the history and background of Dresden. I'm about to re-read the entire series myself, to try and keep track of what is happening, although so far they are not following any particular novel of Butcher's, and the producers are staying very low key - for Dresden - who is usually in the midst of violence and outright mayhem. I also need to refresh my memory, as Tsar remined me that Dresden was taken in by his uncle, who was interested in the dark side of the arts.

Long ways to go, though, and I now look forward to this and Rome, rather than BSG.

Comment

Marines: I wish you hadn't remined me of tonights episode of Bull S*** Galore, otherwise known as BSG.

The producers have strayed so far from the original premise of finding Earth and saving humanity that the series now has the appearance of a some sort of low-budget galactic soap opera. Will Apollo have sex with Starbuck? Will Starbuck even be sober enough to tell? Stay tuned...film at 11:00.

As for Dresden, they seem to be doing a fair job, although the chronology is mixed up, certain of his characteristics have been altered or otherwise ignored, and it must be a little confusing to those who do not know the history and background of Dresden. I'm about to re-read the entire series myself, to try and keep track of what is happening, although so far they are not following any particular novel of Butcher's, and the producers are staying very low key - for Dresden - who is usually in the midst of violence and outright mayhem. I also need to refresh my memory, as Tsar remined me that Dresden was taken in by his uncle, who was interested in the dark side of the arts.

Long ways to go, though, and I now look forward to this and Rome, rather than BSG.
                  As for Dresden, well, I ordered all of the released novels by Butcher so I can catch up and understand what I am actually watching.

I'll still watch BSG whenever possible. For me, when it concerns BSG, I will watch it if I happen to be flipping through the channels. However, I will not go out of may way to catch it as I did before. The entire insurgency premise... people blowing themselves up... those in leadership positions condoning and orchestrating said acts... it hit far too close to home. The writers and producers obviously have an agenda. I tuned in to BSG to escape reality for an hour a night, to be entertained. Not to be reminded what a bollocks Iraq is.

Rome? YES! I simply love that series. However, it seems as if it moves a little slow to cover some of the more pivotal moments in Roman history. Will the campaigns in the north be focused upon? What about the Britannia revolts? Or the numerous barbarian invasions by the Gauls, Huns, and the Goths?

At present, the only show I'm really taken with is Sci-Fi's Eureka.

Comment

I really like Eureka. It is sufficiently quirky to keep it from getting too serious, but intelligent enough not to be boring.

Yeah...I like Rome, although I could do with just a little less of the redheaded superslut and more about Vorenus and his sidekick. Still, it's beautifully made and gives a not-often seen view of the sordid human side of things.

What I really miss is Deadwood. Damn, I liked that show.

Comment

So, my library doesn't have any Butcher/Dresden books. Know where I could find them? Haven't checked out my local bookstores yet.
                      Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

I really like Eureka. It is sufficiently quirky to keep it from getting too serious, but intelligent enough not to be boring.

Yeah...I like Rome, although I could do with just a little less of the redheaded superslut and more about Vorenus and his sidekick. Still, it's beautifully made and gives a not-often seen view of the sordid human side of things.

What I really miss is Deadwood. Damn, I liked that show.
                        I thoroughly enjoy Eureka. The writing is excellent, production values grand, and the acting outstanding. The characters alone keep me coming back for more. As for Rome, well, it's still one of my top picks. Another show I'm currently stuck on is Jericho.

@ Jim

I ordered a few of my copies from the official site.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/

Comment

I finally got around to watching The Dresden Files today ("The Boone Identity"). I like it. Got it set up as a season pass on TiVo now.

As for Eureka, I agree. I really like it... in fact, it's the only other non-military show that I really watch. (When do the new episodes start?)
                          Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Originally posted by sickpup View Post
                            I finally got around to watching The Dresden Files today ("The Boone Identity"). I like it. Got it set up as a season pass on TiVo now.

As for Eureka, I agree. I really like it... in fact, it's the only other non-military show that I really watch. (When do the new episodes start?)
                            The Sci-Fi Channel has greenlit a second season of Eureka, however, I'm not sure when it's set to begin. This summer perhaps?

Comment

OK. Is there something special about the hockey stick?
                              Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X