Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Sunday's episode was very disappointing due to the gross errors and deviations from the book.

I hope this is not the "grand plan" of the producer.

Leave a comment:

• Jim H. Moreno
    replied
    Dresden's Bob Takes Spotlight

Leave a comment:

• Jim H. Moreno
    replied
    Dresden Producer Unveils Process

Leave a comment:

• Tsar
    replied
    So, Sundays episode was Storm Front. The one that was suppose to have been the pilot. It stuck close to the book (well as close as it can considering that it's only an hour show) and introduced things like his cat, Susan, and had him standing near the blue beattle. overall it shuld definitly have been the first show.

Leave a comment:

• Jim H. Moreno
    replied
    The Dresden Files RPG

Leave a comment:

• Tsar
    replied
    Did anyone catch Butters tee shirt? It said I (heart) Polka.
    Someone obviously read the books.

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    Haven't watched this weeks yet [taped it] but the vampire/love interest last week was a bit interesting. I also picked up on the books but it's still on the reading pile. So far - looks hopeful.

Leave a comment:

• Jim H. Moreno
    replied
    I concur! Got the first look at Butters, the polka-loving coroner, and the quick insight into Bob's past is intriguing. Really digging the humor, too; kinda slapstick (when Dresden laid a big one on Murphy), and kinda subtle (Bob jabbing at Dresden's magic skills). All nicely done.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Dresden is beginning to come along quite nicely, His spells are getting more advanced; he is quite proficient with his wizrd staff/hockey stick; we are getting to know a bit of Bob's history, and the shows just keep improving.

Now, if the producers wouod only move the show into that vast wasteland call the regular programming week so that everything didn't pile up on Sunday evening...

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I started buying them when the first one came out. I have the entire set to date.

Leave a comment:

• TripodViking
    replied
    My finds weren't really luck. I bought the first couple in the series a week before the show aired, so naturally they were in most everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Jim H. Moreno
    replied
    Figured out the book I'm reading is #7 in the series, so it's well into the story line, unlike the TV show. Can't find the first one locally, looks like I'll have to order it!

Leave a comment:

• TripodViking
    replied
    After rereading all the books (while anxiously awaiting for Winter Night) I can accept this as an offshoot mythos of sorts. I'd prefer to see a little more kaboom magic, but it keeps me interested in the story line.

After all, if it were exactly like the books, we'd just be watching made for TV movies.

Maybe another season will allow for it to settle some.

As for add-on characters, remember that Mouse didn't show till about the fourth book, if I recall right. So, there's still some time for more development.

I vote to give it some time. My only complaint is that Blackthorne talks like his jaws are wired shut. Makes me think they're dubbing his voice. Anyone seen him in action anywhere else, to validate this possiblity?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Just a guess, but catering to viewer deographics?

They left out his dog Mouse, too.

OTH, I do like what they have done with Bob.

Leave a comment:

• sickpup
    replied
    Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
    I am guessing that it was easier to get a jeep than an old VW?
    I think the jeep works better for the series. It has a much more manly feel to it than a VW. (Yeah, I know, they're not being true to the books, but I can let this one slide)

1. Dresden's apartment is actually in the basement. not street level as shown in the series.
    Yep. Actually, in the book, his apartment and office are two completely seperate locations. In the sci-fi version, it looks like his apartment is just the loft of his office or somesuch.

2. He heats with a fireplace, as modern electrical systems do not survive long in his presence.
    Yeah, in the book he doesn't even have a hot water heater... in Chicago... wow.

3. Murphy is wrong, as you noted. Her need-you-hate-you-want-to-arrest-you relationship with Dresden is only superficially presented, and no attempt has been made to explain how Dresden came to the notice of the police in the first place.
    I wonder why the got someone completely different to play the part? I'm not too concerned, because I think the sci-fi version of Murphy works well. As for the relationship needing explanation, they've only got 40-something minutes to pack info into, and we're only a few episodes into the season. Hopefully they'll get around to fleshing things out a bit more.

7. You have mentioned the lack of Dresden's pets.
    No idea why they would leave "Mister" out of the series.

8. No effort has been made to explain the complex arrangement that exists between Dresden, the Council and the Warden who is always looking for a chance to execute Dresden, making his use of havy-duty magic difficult and problematical.
    This is probably my only real complaint that the moment. After watching the most recent episode, in which Morgan makes his first appearance, I'm wondering what they were thinking.

In the Sci-fi version, Morgan is actually kind of friendly... in the book that I'm reading, he's pretty much a hated enemy just waiting for his chance to kill Dresden. They also made him black with short hair in the show, pretty much the opposite of what he is in the book.

I'm still enjoying the show... just wondering why they're making certain things different.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X