The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
    So, my library doesn't have any Butcher/Dresden books. Know where I could find them? Haven't checked out my local bookstores yet.
    Well, seems I wasn't the only one asking for the books, they told me. My library just got in two on Saturday, and I was the first to check out Dead Beat. Coolness.
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

The first thing you will notice after reading one of the books is that the sci-fi Dresden is virtually unarmed, for reasons I cannot begin to guess.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Actually, the first thing I noted was that Butcher is a 'martial arts enthusiast', according to his bio. Then, getting into the first chapter, I see that Murphy is a blonde, his apartment is much, much smaller than on the TV show, and he has a cat and a dog. Far as I've gotten...

I am wondering about something else, too. I've noticed some obvious military references on the show. His name, for one, and the Jeep he drives. Is there something deeper to this?
        Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

I am guessing that it was easier to get a jeep than an old VW? Dresden drives an old VW because it is all that can survive his presence and still run halfway decently.

Seriously, the producers have made some major errors which hopefull will not ruin the series:

1. Dresden's apartment is actually in the basement. not street level as shown in the series.

2. He heats with a fireplace, as modern electrical systems do not survive long in his presence.

3. Murphy is wrong, as you noted. Her need-you-hate-you-want-to-arrest-you relationship with Dresden is only superficially presented, and no attempt has been made to explain how Dresden came to the notice of the police in the first place.

4. Dresden carries only his mother's bracelet. In reality, he also wears a long coat that is heavily "warded" against evil, carries a staff similarly protected, and always wears a pentagram that warns him of approaching danger.

I can thing of no decent reason to leave out his many layers of protection, put together over years of painful experience. In the books, he alsways bemoans the loss of a staff, and constructing a new one and embuing it with all the necessary protective spells is a lengthy process.

5. So far, the show has not shown the quirky process by which Dresden concocts spells, sometimes ahaving to sacrifice something he needs as an ingrediant. I seem to recall one instance in which all he had was a $50 bill and needed money as an ingredient. In it went, much to his chagrin.

6. Bob remains unexplained, and understanding Bob and the love-hate relationship with Dresden is essential.

7. You have mentioned the lack of Dresden's pets.

8. No effort has been made to explain the complex arrangement that exists between Dresden, the Council and the Warden who is always looking for a chance to execute Dresden, making his use of havy-duty magic difficult and problematical.

I sincerely hope that the producers get their act together and don't turn this into a cheap eye-candy version of some really good writing. Dresden could be a very serious and compelling series.

Comment

I think the Dresden we see is the Dresden we’re going to get. I have a felling that the producers are using the name and a little of the concept to get the already interested audience while still allowing themselves to do what they want with the show.
            On the other hand Jim is suppose to be okay with the series so who are we to complain.
            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by tsar View Post
              I think the Dresden we see is the Dresden we’re going to get. I have a felling that the producers are using the name and a little of the concept to get the already interested audience while still allowing themselves to do what they want with the show.
              On the other hand Jim is suppose to be okay with the series so who are we to complain.
              Yeah....

I still enjoy it a bit more than Group Sex Galactica.

Comment

Originally posted by tsar View Post

A. Jim doesn't have to watch it.

B. He gets paid for the rights to his books.

C. The series promotes his books further.

D. We, OTH, do have to watch it.

I e-mailed Butcher a couple of days ago and expressed my feelings, , although the producer's treatment is ot his fault.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
                  A. Jim doesn't have to watch it.
                  No he doesn’t but if he does and still likes it then there is not much we can do.

B. He gets paid for the rights to his books.
                  Which may help him like it; on the other hand others have gotten paid for the rights to their books and spoken out about not liking the outcome.

C. The series promotes his books further.
                  Nothing wrong with that.

D. We, OTH, do have to watch it.
                  No we don’t really. We can turn it off.

I e-mailed Butcher a couple of days ago and expressed my feelings, , although the producer's treatment is ot his fault.
                  Can’t hurt, may not help but it can’t hurt.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

On the other hand, it's a lot better than the usual drivel.

Comment

I am guessing that it was easier to get a jeep than an old VW?
                      I think the jeep works better for the series. It has a much more manly feel to it than a VW. (Yeah, I know, they're not being true to the books, but I can let this one slide)

1. Dresden's apartment is actually in the basement. not street level as shown in the series.
                      Yep. Actually, in the book, his apartment and office are two completely seperate locations. In the sci-fi version, it looks like his apartment is just the loft of his office or somesuch.

2. He heats with a fireplace, as modern electrical systems do not survive long in his presence.
                      Yeah, in the book he doesn't even have a hot water heater... in Chicago... wow.

3. Murphy is wrong, as you noted. Her need-you-hate-you-want-to-arrest-you relationship with Dresden is only superficially presented, and no attempt has been made to explain how Dresden came to the notice of the police in the first place.
                      I wonder why the got someone completely different to play the part? I'm not too concerned, because I think the sci-fi version of Murphy works well. As for the relationship needing explanation, they've only got 40-something minutes to pack info into, and we're only a few episodes into the season. Hopefully they'll get around to fleshing things out a bit more.

7. You have mentioned the lack of Dresden's pets.
                      No idea why they would leave "Mister" out of the series.

8. No effort has been made to explain the complex arrangement that exists between Dresden, the Council and the Warden who is always looking for a chance to execute Dresden, making his use of havy-duty magic difficult and problematical.
                      This is probably my only real complaint that the moment. After watching the most recent episode, in which Morgan makes his first appearance, I'm wondering what they were thinking.

In the Sci-fi version, Morgan is actually kind of friendly... in the book that I'm reading, he's pretty much a hated enemy just waiting for his chance to kill Dresden. They also made him black with short hair in the show, pretty much the opposite of what he is in the book.

I'm still enjoying the show... just wondering why they're making certain things different.
                      Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

Just a guess, but catering to viewer deographics?

They left out his dog Mouse, too.

OTH, I do like what they have done with Bob.

Comment

After rereading all the books (while anxiously awaiting for Winter Night) I can accept this as an offshoot mythos of sorts. I'd prefer to see a little more kaboom magic, but it keeps me interested in the story line.

After all, if it were exactly like the books, we'd just be watching made for TV movies.

Maybe another season will allow for it to settle some.

As for add-on characters, remember that Mouse didn't show till about the fourth book, if I recall right. So, there's still some time for more development.

I vote to give it some time. My only complaint is that Blackthorne talks like his jaws are wired shut. Makes me think they're dubbing his voice. Anyone seen him in action anywhere else, to validate this possiblity?
                          "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - attributed to Edmund Burke

Comment

Figured out the book I'm reading is #7 in the series, so it's well into the story line, unlike the TV show. Can't find the first one locally, looks like I'll have to order it!
                            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

My finds weren't really luck. I bought the first couple in the series a week before the show aired, so naturally they were in most everywhere.
                              "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - attributed to Edmund Burke

Comment

I started buying them when the first one came out. I have the entire set to date.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                  Prawn heads
                                  by Karri
                                  How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                  Today, 11:40
                                • Jose50
                                  Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                  by Jose50
                                  Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                  Today, 08:41
                                • Von Richter
                                  Sagittarius Rising...
                                  by Von Richter
                                  Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                  Today, 01:19
                                Working...
                                X