X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Overseer View Post
    Am I imagining it, or do I sense some hostility towards the Military Channel's shows?
    You are imagining it. Hostility towards a logic-based system would be...illogical.

Leave a comment:

• Overseer
    replied
    Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
    This is a military-based forum. Surely you are not suggesting that we ignore those wonderful rules formulated by the Military Channel which rule a Bren Carrier as superior to a Bradley, and a WWI biplane as superior to an F-22?

What the devil are you thinking, Overseer?!

Am I imagining it, or do I sense some hostility towards the Military Channel's shows?

Leave a comment:

• Geek44
    replied
    I forgot 'Darkstar' from John Carpenters first film of the same name. 1974
    Last edited by Geek44; 26 Nov 06, 21:02.

Leave a comment:

• Redwolf
    replied
    I don't like that list at all. Typical case of an intern handed the order to create a list of famous spaceships, where the intern has no own interest in these things.

Babylon 5 has some good ships that are really likable from an engineering standpoint. The drives and control on the Starfurys. The Earth Alliance ships with rotating hulls to create artificial gravity.

The alien ships in B5 make less sense, usually they come with useless baggage.

Of course B5 ships don't win any contest because some freagging idiot lost the CGI models before they could be re-run for the widescreen DVD release

Leave a comment:

• Slug
    replied
    This is a nice ship too.

Leave a comment:

• Doctor Sinister
    replied
    I am highly susupicious of anything labeld "indestructible", as such an object clearly violates the most basic of Murphy's Laws.
    Well, it violates several laws, since it is a time machine, but note I did throw in the word "virtually".

Dr. S.

Leave a comment:

• Jim H. Moreno
    replied
    The spacecraft from 2001, as well as the Russian craft from 2010, fail to make the grade due to lack of Service Length or Fear Factor, hving been built entirely as unarmed expolorati0on vessels, although they score well on Innovation.
    Well done, MM. Though I believe these are more considered to be space stations, yes? I'd like to add another ship to the list, based on these criteria.

www.starships.com

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Overseer View Post
    Well for one, I don't get why it would need to be limited to military vehicles. Important things happen in space other than combat. The list doesn't say it needs to be limited to war ships MM.

Also, you can't really judge longevity in many of these cases. We only see part of the Sulaco's career. It could have served in countless battles and such before it went on its bug hunt.

Hey, the ship from Event Horizon carries hell with it! Can't that count as a weapon?
    This is a military-based forum. Surely you are not suggesting that we ignore those wonderful rules formulated by the Military Channel which rule a Bren Carrier as superior to a Bradley, and a WWI biplane as superior to an F-22?

What the devil are you thinking, Overseer?!

And as for you, Dr. S - surely you know better. Obviously an obsolete piece of junk like the V2 would have to find it's way to the very top of the list! It's SOP!

Seriously, since I am not a Who fan, I wouldn't even know anything about the TARDIS, although I am highly susupicious of anything labeld "indestructible", as such an object clearly violates the most basic of Murphy's Laws.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 26 Nov 06, 12:32.

Leave a comment:

• Doctor Sinister
    replied
    The original BSG "movie" was shown over here in cinemas as such - so that would make it legitimate.

However my previous references to the Liberator would not be.

The TARDIS is legitimate though as it did appear in the two spin-off Doctor Who/Dalek movies in the 60's.

So let's look at the TARDIS given MM's three criteria:

Innovation - it's a time-travelling spacecraft that contains a separate dimension (thus making it larger on the inside than out) and which can blend in with its surroundings to avoid detection. It is also semi-sentient and has many amazing features and was literally "grown", not built. I say that makes it a winner.

Service Length - the TV show is 43 years old this year and the machine itself in fiction is thousands of years old. In fact, the Doctor's TARDIS is an obsolete Type 40 - it was already old before the Doctor "borrowed" it. It's been to both ends of the universe and thousands of places and times in between. It would easily win.

Fear Factor - the TARDIS is virtually indestructible and can defend itself with the HADS (Hostile Action Displacement System) if threatened. Inside there exists a state of temporal grace - no weapons can be used (although this is dependent on the requirements of the storyline at the time ). The TARDIS has been witnessed to survive a direct impact by Dalek torpedoes and can dematerialise to avoid attack. It has been used to alter history - and although it is not armed in any way itself, this makes it a potent "weapon" for the Doctor, who could, if he so desired, erase something from history - the ultimate annihilation. Again, a winner.

Dr. S.

Leave a comment:

• Overseer
    replied
    Originally posted by MountainMan
    It's a nice list, but the authors are apparently unaware of the standards for this sort of thing established by the Miltary Channnel, such as Innovation, Service Length, Fear Factor and so forth.

Using these standards, we can clearly see that most of the choices listed do not even belong on the list.
    Well for one, I don't get why it would need to be limited to military vehicles. Important things happen in space other than combat. The list doesn't say it needs to be limited to war ships MM.

Also, you can't really judge longevity in many of these cases. We only see part of the Sulaco's career. It could have served in countless battles and such before it went on its bug hunt.

Also available for consideration, the spacecraft from Lost in Space, Event Horizon, Supernova and The Black Hole; all of these were built as civilian vessels for various purposes and thus lack any Fear Factor, although they might score high on Innovation, and in a couple of cases, length of sevice.
    Hey, the ship from Event Horizon carries hell with it! Can't that count as a weapon?

Leave a comment:

• Siberian HEAT
    replied
    While the Battlestar Galactica would rank high on my own chart - this list is derived (apparently) only from Movies, and not TV shows. BSG had a quasi-movie made from it...but I don't think it was ever shown in theatres.

How in the hell the Klingon Bird of Prey made the list, but Borg Cubes, Vger, and that massive Whale ship from STIV didn't make it will never be understood.

The Sulaco from Aliens is high up there on the cool factor for me...but as MM mentions it didn't fare well over the long haul.

Spaceball One gets a nod for fear factor, and for the ability to go to plaid and turn into a huge maid to suck atmosphere out of your neighboring planets...although it had some longevity issues.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    It's a nice list, but the authors are apparently unaware of the standards for this sort of thing established by the Miltary Channnel, such as Innovation, Service Length, Fear Factor and so forth.

Using these standards, we can clearly see that most of the choices listed do not even belong on the list.

Number one spot for Service Length, Innovation and Fear Factor alone should probably go to the Imperial Battleships from Star Wars, perhaps closely followed by the Death Stars.

Battlestar Galatica, due to Service Length and Cylons killed in battle obviously scores high in Fear Factor as well, and supersedes many lesser vessels, although as an obsolete and outdated vessel it scores well below average in Innovation.

Then there are the Confederation Fleet Battleships such as Tigerclaw from Wing Commander. Obviously, their presence as a mssive fleet and their overall succeses against the Kil'rathi place them at or near Number One in most major categories.

Obviously, the saucer vessel from The Day The Earth Stood Still has to be on the list, as do the Martian ships from War Of The Worlds. Both score high in Innovation and Fear Factor, although no data exists for other categories.

There also must be a space somewhere for the Twerran military warship from Forbidden Planet.

Millenium Falcon fails to make the grade because it was built and registered a a trading vessel, with very low scores in Innovation, Service Life and Fear Factor. Likewise, the home-made vessel from The Explorers fails as well, being built entirely as an unarmed exploration vessel, as does Apollo 13. This standard would unfortunately apply to the alien spacecraft discovered in The Navigator as well.

The spacecraft from 2001, as well as the Russian craft from 2010, fail to make the grade due to lack of Service Length or Fear Factor, hving been built entirely as unarmed expolorati0on vessels, although they score well on Innovation.

Going to the Alien series, the speccraft Nostromo fails to qualify because it was a commercial tug, without Innovation, Fear Factor or other critical elemments needed to make the grade. Some consideration might be given to the battlecraft from Aliens II, although it's career appears to have been very short and largely ineffective.

Also overlooked were the vessels from the Lunar series starring Martin Landau and Barbara Bains, although they do not qualify under the current standrds.

Also available for consideration, the spacecraft from Lost in Space, Event Horizon, Supernova and The Black Hole; all of these were built as civilian vessels for various purposes and thus lack any Fear Factor, although they might score high on Innovation, and in a couple of cases, length of sevice.

In the end, we will find that the Number One spacecraft of all time was the German WWII V2, scoring high in Innovation, Fear Factor and other vital categories, which is entirely typical of The Military Channel in the first place.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 26 Nov 06, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• RichardS
    replied
    My favorites

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)

Leave a comment:

• Geek44
    replied
    The Liberator from Blake's 7. Easy. I also like the 'Red Dwarf' but it's not from a movie per se.

Leave a comment:

• Ghienar
    replied
    Originally posted by creeping death View Post
    I cant believe they forgot this one.
    Great!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X