• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Greatest Horror Movies. Ever!

Listed by TheGeekzine.

13 Greatest Horror Movies. Ever!
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Hmm, I generally think horror lists are garbage, and this does miss some movies I would have put on list, but overall some good inclusions (props for picking Fulci's Zombie).

The lack of Profundo Ruso (or Deep Red in English) or Suspiria is a bit of a shock. There should be some Argento on that list.

I definitely don't get Saw on there though. While I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was that great. It had some questionable directing/editing in a few spots, and just overall I think was a missed opportunity (I had probably put too much into the movie though by being obsessed with every clip and bit of news that came out before its release).
    “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Not a fan of horro

While not a giant fan of scary/horror movies i agree that some of those are pretty damn good.
      We all know that Aliens is better than Alien but Alien was scarier because nobody really new what we were in for. Alien is the first movie that ever gave me real nightmares as a kid.
      I'm glad Jaws was on the list as well, it scared the crap out of the nation..who wants to go swimming after watching that.

CD
      "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I'm not a great fan of horror films either, but the list does have some great movies listed regardless of their genre. The one not on the list that always scared the living #$#%^&* out of me was de Palma's, "Dressed to Kill". Maybe it was just Michael Caine in drag.....................
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I always judged horror movies on plot and originality rather than gore. Anyone can spray red paint over the screen. So none of the slasher flicks meet my bar.

Villiage of the Damned would get my vote for most original plot. The more recent movie Below also gets points - a possessed submarine, now THAT's original. Jaws gets kudos for visuals and a different system of horror. Most movies try to startle the audience but Jaws shoots for emotional horror - the scene where the child is attacked is hard to watch no matter how many times you see the movie and watching the old sea captain struggle to keep out of the shark's jaws and finally succumb is also depressing. The Ghost and the Darkness definitely creates suspense while portraying a historical incident. Once you hear that creepy music going you expect to see a lion leap out of the shadows any second. Also it has a high "ouch" factor. Watching the missionary stick his sliced up hands into alcohol will make you want to cringe and the lion bite scenes will make you think twice before going on safari. Event Horizon was interesting. The Shining meets The Black Hole.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
            I always judged horror movies on plot and originality rather than gore. Anyone can spray red paint over the screen. So none of the slasher flicks meet my bar.
            Yeah, Halloween was so unoriginal... I mean come on, every movie basically starts an entire genre of films... Not to mention some amazing uses of lighting and cinematography...
            “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
              Yeah, Halloween was so unoriginal... I mean come on, every movie basically starts an entire genre of films... Not to mention some amazing uses of lighting and cinematography...
              Homicidal maniac terrorizing 20-somethings playing high schoolers amid weak dialogue and numerous death by twisted ankle sequences. Maybe Halloween was the first to feature this style of plot but that doesn't upgrade the quality of the plot.

I've always been a tough customer and I'm always rough with war movies and horror movies because they are so easy to do badly and so hard to do well. And, like a cup of coffee, there is no middle ground. Horror movies (and war movies) are either really good or absolute swill. If there is a middle ground, I have not seen it. In any case I always judge story first. Lighting and cinematography are the icing. Story is the substance. If I can't take the plot seriously, lighting and cinemetography won't change my opinion. On the other hand an original story that is poorly shot will still draw praise from me (IE - Below)
              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Homicidal maniac terrorizing 20-somethings playing high schoolers amid weak dialogue and numerous death by twisted ankle sequences. Maybe Halloween was the first to feature this style of plot but that doesn't upgrade the quality of the plot.
                I really got started with Halloween. Not much of a slasher film since it had such a small body count compared to the later ones (and other horror movies). Not so scary now of course but I really like the suspense part of it. At least in the first two of them Mike Myers would sometimes just watch the people or do the slow walking stuff. Later on he would just rip them to pieces like Jason would or he'd walk really fast. They also ruined it by explaining why he did what he did. Sure that was interesting to learn why but it was better not knowing why he was doing what he did.

The best ones were the first two and then the seventh one when they brought back JLC and he found her. The others are ok overall (except #3 which is below average) but only cuz I've always been a fan.
                Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

I've always been a tough customer and I'm always rough with war movies and horror movies because they are so easy to do badly and so hard to do well. And, like a cup of coffee, there is no middle ground. Horror movies (and war movies) are either really good or absolute swill. If there is a middle ground, I have not seen it. In any case I always judge story first. Lighting and cinematography are the icing. Story is the substance. If I can't take the plot seriously, lighting and cinemetography won't change my opinion. On the other hand an original story that is poorly shot will still draw praise from me (IE - Below)
                  If you're only watching a movie for a story, you're missing 2/3rds of what make movies what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
                    If you're only watching a movie for a story, you're missing 2/3rds of what make movies what they are.
                    Come to think of it, I do like Von Richthoven and Brown, a movie with little plot and lots of action. OTH, The Thin Red Line had great visuals but a haphazard plot kept me from liking it. It depends. I know I'm a bit more forgiving with naval and aviation movies. There I might be bought with good visuals. But don't depend on it.

Don't underestimate plot. Villiage of the Damned had a unique and compelling storyline and the only special effect (of the original) was glowing eyes.

I know this much, horror movie cliches will not impress me no matter how good the cinematography is. Once you have the 20-somethings playing teeneagers being terrorized by some psychotic or supernatural element you've lost me (I might not be so austere if the above description didn't describe half of the horror movies made since 1960). Give me something original. Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, all these movies are carbon copies of each other, the only thing that changes are the villians e.g. I am inclined to believe that more effort was put into Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Comment

I know this much, horror movie cliches will not impress me no matter how good the cinematography is. Once you have the 20-somethings playing teeneagers being terrorized by some psychotic or supernatural element you've lost me (I might not be so austere if the above description didn't describe half of the horror movies made since 1960). Give me something original. Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, all these movies are carbon copies of each other, the only thing that changes are the villians e.g. I am inclined to believe that more effort was put into Manos: The Hands of Fate.
                      Stick with the classics. Hitchcock, Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff et.al. They left so much to the imagination and that can be far more terrifying than a katsup spray.

My personal favorites are:
                      The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price, base on Richard Matheson's book I Am Legend. (One of the best horror writers ever!)

Tales of Terror with Vincent Price, peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone a screenplay by Richard Matheson based on three Edgar Allen Poe stories. (Two of the best horror story writers ever!)

The Day of the Tryffids with Howard Keel based on the book by John Wyndham.
                      All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post
                        While not a giant fan of scary/horror movies i agree that some of those are pretty damn good.
                        We all know that Aliens is better than Alien but Alien was scarier because nobody really new what we were in for. Alien is the first movie that ever gave me real nightmares as a kid.
                        I'm glad Jaws was on the list as well, it scared the crap out of the nation..who wants to go swimming after watching that.

CD
                        I actually prefer Alien. Aliens is a good fun sci fi. But Alien is a proper thriller. The suspense is built up intensly before you are allowed release. There are some twists. And you don't get to see the full monster until quite late in the show. Just reactions of its victims, then glimpses of it in shadows and flashes, and then finally all of it at the end. It was properly written and directed as a thriller.
                        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by kentek View Post
                          Stick with the classics. Hitchcock, Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff et.al. They left so much to the imagination and that can be far more terrifying than a katsup spray.

My personal favorites are:
                          The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price, base on Richard Matheson's book I Am Legend. (One of the best horror writers ever!)

Tales of Terror with Vincent Price, peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone a screenplay by Richard Matheson based on three Edgar Allen Poe stories. (Two of the best horror story writers ever!)

The Day of the Tryffids with Howard Keel based on the book by John Wyndham.
                          The Pit and the Pendulum. Love that show. The Raven, Nospheratu, The Phantom of the Opera, etc... Not real scary but great movies. Yeah, bring on the classics man. I've seen Nospheratu and The Phantom of the Opera on the big(ish) screen with live soundtracks played by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. Fun shows. Go to the symphony and boo/hiss the bad guys on screen.

Don't remember much about Suspiria. But I recall really enjoying it.
                          Boxing Helena. Pretty creepy other than the ending ruining a good movie.
                          The Ring and Ringu were very good. I preferred the American version.
                          The Others is one of my wife's favourites. Not scary again but a great thriller.
                          Last edited by Duncan; 01 Nov 06, 00:20.
                          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post

Don't remember much about Suspiria. But I recall really enjoying it.
                            Suspiria makes amazing use of colors in the set and lighting - very unique level of atmosphere in that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by kentek View Post
                              Boris Karloff rocks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X