Make my day: the best (and worst) lines in the history of film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make my day: the best (and worst) lines in the history of film

" As in life, first impressions count in cinema. In Citizen Kane (1941), the opening word, Charles Foster Kane's dying utterance "Rosebud", holds the key (perhaps) to the entire movie."

And what an awesome movie it is, along with these others from where these instantly recognizable lines come from.

Make my day: the best (and worst) lines in the history of film
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

"We don't need no stinking badges!" from "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and numerous movies since! Remember it in "Blazing Saddles"?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Danny Glover as Mal Johnson in Silverado...

"Now, I don't wanna kill you, and you don't wanna be dead."
      Last edited by The Doctor; 20 Oct 06, 09:25.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Will Sampson and Clint Eastwood from The Outlaw Josey Wales...

Ten Bears: These things you say we will have, we already have.

Josey Wales: That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. And I'm saying that men can live together without butchering one another.

Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

This is just a translation/synchronization error but it remains in my memory as the best line ever.

In Terminator 2, Arnold explains to Connor that his brain is made from an "artificial neural network".

The idiots who did the German synchro didn't know computer science too well, so in the German version he says his brain is an "artificial [i]neutral[/]i] network".

Right that moment he makes a very fitting face at the time that fits the "neutral" brain just fine. The quote is often used when discussing his current activities

Comment

The best: John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn in True Grit
            Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!

The worst:
            Arnold the Governator as Mr. Freeze in Batman and Robin (a movie that could fill this thread with bad dialouge).
            Allow me to break the ice. My name is Freeze. Learn it well. For it's the chilling sound of your doom.
            All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Animal Mother: Well you seen much combat?
              Private Joker: I've seen a little on...TV!

Comment

Was going to quote what Boonierat did...best line in a movie ever...second best is;

After Clint Eastwood shoots the dorky shopowner in 'Unforgiven'

Gene Hackman; THAT was an unarmed man!!
                Clint; A fella would want to arm himself if he's going to decorate his establishment with my friends.

Only seen it the one time. Apologies for vagueness but the gist is there.
                The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                Sideshow Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                  Was going to quote what Boonierat did...best line in a movie ever...second best is;

After Clint Eastwood shoots the dorky shopowner in 'Unforgiven'

Gene Hackman; THAT was an unarmed man!!
                  Clint; A fella would want to arm himself if he's going to decorate his establishment with my friends.

Only seen it the one time. Apologies for vagueness but the gist is there.
                  Close enough and a very good choice

Best Clint line IMO (from Dirty Harry):

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

and another from the same movie:

Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy.
                  Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
                  Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hardon, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
                  Mayor: He's got a point.

Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

John Wayne as Jacob McCandles in Big Jake

And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off.
                    All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

"Say hello to my little friend!"

Scarface
                      Love. Where does it come from?
                      from The Thin Red Line

Comment

Alec Guiness "Bridge Over the River Kwai" : "What have I done?"

Clint Eastwood "The Outlaw Jose Wales" : "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy." So many from that movie.

Bill Murray "Ghost Busters" : "We came, we saw, we kicked some ass!"

Roy Schnieder "Jaws" : "Your gonna need a bigger boat."
                        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by kentek View Post
                          John Wayne as Jacob McCandles in Big Jake

And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off.
                          Great Line, especially in it's full context, because it had earlier in a paraphrased form been used on Wayne by his adversary played by Richard Boone.

I cant believe the Strother Martin classic has yet to be mentioned............, "What we have....... is failure to communicate."
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men:

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to."
                            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Many more

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked" Airplane
                              "I'M not sure if you are keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal" Hudson
                              "Your gonna eat lightning and crap thunder" Mickey from Rocky
                              "Im your huckleberry' Doc Holliday or "I have 2 guns....one for each of you"

So many to list.

CD
                              "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X