Bought these War films today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought these War films today...

I had 40 euro in HMV gift vouchers left so I went out today with the intention on spending them.

In our local store they finally seemed to have realised that there is such a genre as 'War Films'

I picked up 'Das Boot' for 9.99 and was walking off with that and 'Apocalpse Now' + 'Downfall' (going for a surprisingly cheap 8.99!) when I spotted 'Come and See' for 29.99.

So left with 'Das Boot' and 'Come and See' .

I was tempted to buy 'Battle of Algiers' at 39.99 but maybe one day...

I intend to build up a select collection of top war films over the next few years so now I have these ones + 'Gettysburg' and 'Gods and Generals'.
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Hmm if you mean "top war films" you are going to likely have to extend your reach a bit further back

The best films are all now more than a couple of decades old. On the plus side, they are rarely expensive.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Oldies but goodies

It seems once in a while i find a great movie at a cheap price. i just picked up Midway and the Battle of the Bulge for $20.00 total. While Battle of the Bulge is entertaining Midway is excellent. I love it when they remaster these movies, Midway is a good movie on regular cable..but when you can watch it on DVD w/surround sound .

CD
      "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Yeah saw those two today as well. I was tempted by 'Midway' as it is an excellent film so maybe next time...
        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Midway is an excellent film.

I called into HMV today and walked away with Waterloo and Getysburg, 11, or 16 or $21 for both. A bit of a bargain I thought. This will be a war, beer and snacks weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
            I had 40 euro in HMV gift vouchers left so I went out today with the intention on spending them.

So left with 'Das Boot' and 'Come and See' .
            I have to say what an excellent choice. I would say two of the best film representing their areas of WWII - Submarine and the Eastern Front/Land War Europe

Would be interested to see you give a review of Come and See after watching it. I will have to watch it again this weekend. I think it is one of those films most people should see to understand what was going on then in that region.

Comment

Some local ACW buffs and I love to talk about how corny the movie Gettysburg is but it is still a lot of fun to watch and even better to imitate the characters in. I've got my glued-on beard JEB Stuart impression down pretty well. It's one of those rare movies you can laugh your head off at and still be inspired by and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                Some local ACW buffs and I love to talk about how corny the movie Gettysburg is but it is still a lot of fun to watch and even better to imitate the characters in. I've got my glued-on beard JEB Stuart impression down pretty well. It's one of those rare movies you can laugh your head off at and still be inspired by and enjoy.

"Very strange, sir.
                The situation is very confused."

Who said this in Gettysburg to who?
                Publisher
                Armchair General Magazine
                Weider History Group

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  I have to say what an excellent choice. I would say two of the best film representing their areas of WWII - Submarine and the Eastern Front/Land War Europe

Would be interested to see you give a review of Come and See after watching it. I will have to watch it again this weekend. I think it is one of those films most people should see to understand what was going on then in that region.
                  I did a review of C&S for the site a couple years back. A movie that is hard to watch in many places, but leaves you with many impressions that won't leave you for a long time.
                  Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post
                    "Very strange, sir.
                    The situation is very confused."

Who said this in Gettysburg to who?
                    AP Hill to Lee.
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      AP Hill to Lee.
                      General Heth to Lee.

Lee is grilling Heth...he wants to know what is going on and why there is so much fighting in spite of his orders not to have a general engagement until the Army is consolidated.
                      Publisher
                      Armchair General Magazine
                      Weider History Group

Comment

How is Gods and Generals? That is a movie I keep wanting to rent, but I get sidetracked by National Lampoon movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider View Post
                          General Heth to Lee.

Lee is grilling Heth...he wants to know what is going on and why there is so much fighting in spite of his orders not to have a general engagement until the Army is consolidated.
                          Dag nab it! I should have known it was Heth as AP Hill was with Lee at the time. Poor Harry didn't do so well during Gettysburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                            How is Gods and Generals? That is a movie I keep wanting to rent, but I get sidetracked by National Lampoon movies.
                            *I* liked it. It's a bit long at times and a bit too much on T. J. 'Stonewall' Jackson. But is definetly worth a rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                              The film has it's moments but they are too few and far between. I had high hopes for this movie b/c it was reported to be made by the same group who produced "Gettysburg" (which I felt was an excellent film!) However, IMHO this production lacks drive and focus and was one of the worst films I have ever paid to watch. My recommendation is to borrow a copy from your local public library.
                              All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X