For those of you who liked Gladiator:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who liked Gladiator:

Just saw The Fall of the Roman Empire via Netflix. I believe the makers of Gladiator might have had a little inspiration from this movie seeing as Gladiator is almost a carbon copy. The beginning and the end are practically the same. The major difference is in the middle when Livius, unlike Maximus, doesn't turn Commodus' claim of leadership down after Aurelius is assassinated.

Anyway, Fall of the Roman Empire beats the crap out of Gladiator hands down. The visuals are better than Gladiator and not CG as well, the plot is more in depth, with much more political intrigue. It's not as action heavy but has excellent dialogue. It's worth the viewing. One gets to see Christopher Plummer as Commodus and Alec Guiness as Marcus Aurelius. I shall have to revise my list of greatest ancient civilization movies. It now goes as follows:

1. Cleopatra
    2. The Fall of the Roman Empire
    3. 300 Spartans
    4. The Ten Commandments
    5. Troy
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

If it's the film I'm thinking about I saw it years ago with my aunt. I really enjoyed it at the time but I'v never seen it since!

Gladiator was'nt so hot in my books - Spartacus is my all time favorite + some great action (Naval battle/chariot race) in Ben Hur.
    http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

If you like a good galley battle see Cleopatra.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

I really like Gladiator, but I don't know if I have seen the other. I will likely hunt it down solely on the basis of Alec Guiness being in it.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

No DVD version of Cleo?

WTF? That thing got three Oscars.

Back to Road Runner and Coyote for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf
            No DVD version of Cleo?

WTF? That thing got three Oscars.

Back to Road Runner and Coyote for me...
            Try Netflix, if anyone has it they do.

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982
              Try Netflix, if anyone has it they do.
              Netflix doesn't have it, although Amazon seems to offer a DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf
                Netflix doesn't have it, although Amazon seems to offer a DVD.
                Or try www.belleandblade.com

they list the 1963 version on DVD & VHS as well as the 1934 and 1999 (ugh) version as well...................
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X