What is your favorite war movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite war movie?

I'm looking to expand my my collection of war movies and am wondering what are your favorites. My current favorite is Winter War. Ive never seen real t-26's before that movie.
    Last edited by Jared Ball 286; 29 Aug 02, 22:12.

A Bridge Too Far
    Stalingrad
    Saving Private Ryan
    Gettysburg
    Editor-in-Chief
    GameSquad.com

Comment

I'll second a bridge too far.
      Not really a war movie,well it is and isn't,Kelly's Heroes.
      BlackHawk Down was good,so was the book.
      If its out for retail,Band of Brothers series.
      Guadacanal Diary.
      The original All quite on the western front,not the remakes.
      Hell is for heroes.
      Full metal jacket.
      Hamburger Hill,this is a good movie.

Comment

Almost forgot

when trumpets fade.This is an often overlooked movie.
        It depicts the 28th 'Pennsylvania' Infantry Divisions bloody assault
        into the Huertegen(sp?)Forest.Ron Eldard stars as a soldier who just wants to survive the war,and instead keeps getting greater responsibility thrown on his shoulders.I don't know about the historical accuracy of the scenes,but its somewhat of an anti-war movie,and the main character really goes through some changes
        during the movie.After watching the movie you can see why the division earned the name "Bloody Bucket".(This nickname was originaly because the divisions patch was a keystone,Tthe state symbol,on a red background.)though i may be biased to this movie,for some reason

Comment

I haven't yet seen Black Hawk Down or any of the the new ones, but of the ones I have seen, I rate them as follows:

1. Saving Private Ryan
          2. Cross of Iron
          3. Gettysburg
          4. Das Boot
          5. A Bridge Too Far
          6. Enemy At the Gates
          7. Zulu
          Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir
          http://www.kampfgruppe.us

Comment

1) Thin red line
            2) When trumpets fade
            3) All quite on the Western front (the original from 1928)
            Resistance is futile!
            My little company

Comment

In no particular order:

Zulu- Hopefully the DVD release this fall will be quality unlike the cheap one first put out.
              Blackhawk Down
              A Bridge Too Far
              12 O'Clock High
              Saving Private Ryan
              Popester

Comment

no naval movie in your minds?

Midway
                (all the best stunning memory from my childhood, I started to admire carriers since then.)

Also, how about Star Wars? though I am not sure if you can put them as War movie .... but that War definitely hit my mind
                Attn to ALL my opponents:

If you sent me your turn and after 24 hours, you still did not get anything from me, please be sure to post in the forum to ask for what is going on.

Remember, I ALWAYS reply within 24 hours, even if I do NOT have time to play my turn, in which case I will at least send you email to tell you that I will have to play it later, but I DO receive your turn.

Comment

I was never a fan of The Thin Red Line. It wasn't one of my favorites because it had too much "in head" talk and not enough external substance.

Comment

1) Cross Of Iron: Made in the late 70's, it is an excellent movie in which authentic equipment is used on both sides. It is actually an anti war movie, but is full of good battle scenes. It is set on the Eastern Front in the Crimear, and focuses on a Sgt. Steiner and his platoon. Steiner hates the war and lets his superiors know it, but he is an experienced veteren soldier and does his duty. A superior officer dislikes Steiner because he will not lie to help him get an Iron Cross, and so when the Division pulls back, he fails to inform Steiner and his platoon, leaving them to be slaughtered. The men wake up to the sound of T-34s and waves of Russian infantry assailing their position. Some manage to escape and strugle to catch up with their comrades.

2) Stalingrad: This movie is also an older one, and is actually in German with English subtitles. It depicts an Army Assault Battalion which is sent to the hell of Stalingrad. Lots of realistic combat.

3) Zulu Dawn: A movie about the British Defeat at the hands of the Zulu at the Battle of Isandluwana
                    Last edited by KG_ThorsHammer; 29 Aug 02, 11:52.
                    Thor
                    Battalion Commander
                    in The 11th SS Pz Gr Dv

Comment

Bridge Too Far
                      Great Escape
                      Das Boot
                      Saving Private Ryan

Comment

Here are a few more.

Enemy at the Gates - Not really a true war movie, it's more of an action/drama. It does have some interesting scenes of the destruction of Stalingrad.

Last of the Mohicans - Has several good battle scenes between the British, American militia, French, and various Indian tribes.

Ran - More of a political drama, this Japanese movie has some excellent battle scenes between fueding clans.
                        Editor-in-Chief
                        GameSquad.com

Comment

Speaking of RAN, Has anyone seen the movie Heaven & Earth.
                          Not the Tommy Lee Jones movie, but the one about Japan warlords in the sixteenth century. I love that movie for its epic battles. Can't find it anywhere except Belle & Blades web site and they wan 250.00 for their used collectors copy

Comment

Eneny At the Gates
                            Tora Tora Tora
                            Black hawk Down
                            Battle of the bulge ( i know, it sucked)
                            Doesn't read Al Franken, can't watch Al Jazeera, will attack dumbasses. Anyone but Rumsfeld '04.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog
                              Here are a few more.

Enemy at the Gates - Not really a true war movie, it's more of an action/drama. It does have some interesting scenes of the destruction of Stalingrad.

Last of the Mohicans - Has several good battle scenes between the British, American militia, French, and various Indian tribes.

Ran - More of a political drama, this Japanese movie has some excellent battle scenes between fueding clans.
                              Wasn't there two movies,an old 30's version and the newer one, based upon the last of the mohicans?
                              I'd also recomend Drums along the Mohawk as a good colonial era
                              movie.The chase scene through the countryside is good.
                              Rogers Rangers,another good French and Indian war movie.
                              one movie i would like to see made in that time period is the destruction of Braddocks Army along the banks of the monongahela River by a force of french and indians.it involved a whos-who of the coming revolution,including washington and Cage.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X