No announcement yet.

Film Stalingrad 1993 - German portrayal in film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Stalingrad was OK. Enemy at the Gates too. Cross of Iron better. Best IMO- Das Boot (excellent) and I prefer sub-titled version.

I think it's going to take a while for the German Film Industry to get around to something good (and I think it has to come from them- at the moment Hollywood has a good headlock on the Allied side with "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers"- plus "Memphis Belle" though this was stripped from the RAF). I hope they hurry because eye-witness sources who could serve as consultants are not getting any younger...
    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Originally posted by fatih
      Die Brücke(The Bridge) is one of the greatest WW2 films I have ever seen.
      Must look into this. On another note do the Finns have any (undoubtedly stealthy) contributions? Or Hungarians, Rumanians or Italians?

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff
        Must look into this. On another note do the Finns have any (undoubtedly stealthy) contributions? Or Hungarians, Rumanians or Italians?
        Die Brücke is about a bunch of German kids fighting against the GIs to protect an unimportant bridge. Surely great film.

Finns have a good movie called Framom främsta linjen- Beyond Enemy Lines. It is about the Finnish war hero Harri Jarv and his 61. Regiment during Russo-Finnish War. Some bad acting but the equipment and atmosphere looks real.

I haven't seen any "Axis Minor" movies.

Best Regards
        Fatih
        "A nation which makes the final sacrifice for life and freedom does not get beaten." - Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Italians - http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...?page=1&p=2506

I just recently saw this film on Alamein from the Italian POV. Decent flick to check out.
          Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT

I just recently saw this film on Alamein from the Italian POV. Decent flick to check out.
            Thanks. Will check this out also.

Comment

Winter War/Talvisota seems to be highly regarded by everyone that has seen it. I put it at the top of my warmovie list!

Got a movie called Ambush that is Finnish also. Pretty cool stuff too.

Just got and watched Attack and Retreat covering Italians in Russia. Old B&W movie and some of the acting is pretty silly. Ok I guess. Average overall.

Heard how incredibly great Die Brucke was but I only found it ok. Some stuff was pretty cool but some overacting and some corny stuff but worth a look still. Better than average for me.

My friend from Ireland was always hyping Come and See. Finally got it and really was pretty bored by it. Average at best. Some parts were just so boring.

No idea of any Rumanian or Hungarian stuff.
              Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Originally posted by Aries
                But, I don't have any objection to the German nation, and it's film makers, making a film, from their side, that illustrates their military DID have it's shining moments. ....
                Maybe, I'm not sure, but perhaps, Germany just isn't capable of making a film that makes their actions during the war look other than negative.
                or perhaps,their juat afraid to. This is the country that put a fellow behid bars recently for teaching his dog to give a 'Heil Hitler' salute, after all. Wasn't 'Das Boot' made by a German?
                Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT

Just ignore the British using modern day M113 APCs

The only other additions in this grouping:
                  "Battle of the last panzer" Also an italian made film,also squint so you dont notice the Bundswher insignia on the Tanker's uniforms,the camo netting on the American helmets in an attempt to cover the Italian insignia painted on and the Spanish CTEME assault rifles in the hands of American troops and the Maquis.
                  "The misfit Brigade" based on a series of so-so novels,about a Gemran penal brigade on the Eastern front. I thought they did apretty good job on it and you even get to see "Kung fu" Carridine try his hand playing a Prussian Colonel,Monocle,Duling scar and all. (Note-I have it on VHS,I dont know if it's on DVD yet.)

Cross of Iron and Das Boot have already been mentioned,so I'll abstain from going into detail.

'Axis Minor' films-I havent seen any as of yet,Although didn't Nicolas Cage play a Italian officer recently?
                  Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X