Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Stalingrad 1993 - German portrayal in film

I just watched this film.

I have to confess, I was not overly taken with it.

No I'm not ruined by Hollywood either

The film seemed to go too out of it's way to make every last German soldier into a miserable excuse, a lousy example.
    I realise, the German army wasn't made of super men, they were not all super soldiers. But the film I think went to far in it's depiction.

Every battle scene, it was more of the same. The men didn't want to fight, or they were lousy at it, or new at it or some aspect that was almost always painted as a negative.

According to every last book I have ever read, the 6th army was an experienced formation. Yet the men in this movie couldn't have fought their way out of a wet paper bag, let alone fight their way into Stalingrad.

I'm not going to bother adding this film to my collection.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Thank You Aries! awhile back i tried to say some what the same thing,but alot of people crowed about what a great "film" this was. Rubbish,at best its a poor excuse for a movie!
    i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Comment

I actually like it. I think it is a better than average movie if you treat the scene at the airfield as the end. You assume they flew out and turn off the movie. So you miss the cheese thereafter.

Comment

I'm curious to know, how it was you managed to enjoy anything to that point though?

If it had been US soldiers, and their over all behaviour had been more or less the same, and it had been Omaha Beach or the Battle of the Bulge, the consensus likely would have been the movie sucked.

Performance of the soldiers was dismal. There was next to zero professionalism present, and this from a military machine that was supposedly at the peak of their game.
        They looked shabby, dressed shabby, acted shabby you would almost think the film's creator was trying to imply the German army was made up of miscreants that would have been lucky to beat the Poles let alone the Russians after two years of hard fighting.

I'll admit, German perspectives are occasionally refreshing. But short of the entire historical record being crap.
        If this film is going to be considered even remotely accurate, then I'm going over to SZO and the ASL forums and telling them every single ASL counter will have to have the ratings changed
        And the guys at SPWaW Depot better get going on redoing all the German OOBs to better reflect the Germans

Comment

Well at least we agree that it goes entirely downhill after the airfield

I don't have a problem with some soliders being protrayed as misfits.

Comment

I thought the movie was OK for what it was. Maybe 2.5 stars out of 5. I thought the action in the factory was pretty interesting as well as that showing the sad condition of the Russian civilians caught in the crossfire. The attack by the Russian tanks was decent - if a bit unbelievable.

I thought the airfield scene was pretty good too...although (I think it was at the airfield) they threw in that political speech by one of the officers ("we were only following orders") that rang hollow to me. I think it was unnecessary to the film as a whole and felt like the director was interfering just for the sake of interfering.

Also, the final scenes of the breakdown of order behind the German lines was poorly done, and the "rape" scenes at the end were just stupid.

I've watched it a couple times...but never found it more than a so-so diversion. I doubt they could get away with showing anything heroic or good about the German soldiers - thus they use misfits, prisoners, and runaways as the "heroes." Yet, they also fail to show anything good or heroic about the Russian soldiers. In the end, you really don't care about either side.
            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Nazis were Nazis, no point pretending the German people are EVER going to live that down in the next hundred years.

But, I don't have any objection to the German nation, and it's film makers, making a film, from their side, that illustrates their military DID have it's shining moments.

Yeah, it was all about Hitler and his definitely no way to make it otherwise, ambitions. Every attack was an act of agression blah blah blah.

But only a complete idiot thinks 100% of the German military forces were evil Nazis. Several German soldiers of high rank ended up butchered in numerous attempts trying to get rid of Hitler actually.

I wouldn't have any objection just watching a film from the German side, showing what it was like to be a Private, or Corporal or Sargeant in an atypical German military unit during one of their pivotal battles.

I just want the film to be honest, but genuine.

Saving Private Ryan was a good film for instance. It has a lot of glitches too, but it was at least not start to finish making the Americans out to be an army of doofuses.

The director of Stalingrad clearly dropped the ball in making the film the way he did.
              Maybe, I'm not sure, but perhaps, Germany just isn't capable of making a film that makes their actions during the war look other than negative.

Comment

Are there any movies featuring German soldiers or about Germany in WW2 where the German soldier is not A)shown as an incompetent nincompoop B) a bloodthirsty evil Nazi automaton or C) an "average" soldier forced to fight by his no-good flag waving Nazi commanding officer?

More importantly, and Aries touched on this, can the German film industry make a film where the German soldiers are ever seen as something other than the above? I suspect this might be possible with films about the Afrika Korps, which are frequently painted as being outside the German "Nazi" mainstream - although even that opportunity might be closing with new looks at Rommel these days. Off the top of my head, the only films I can think of where the German fighting man is portrayed positively is U-boat films. Again, largely because of the perception it was outside the Nazi mainstream.

One American film that I just saw recently was John Wayne's The Enemy Below and thought the treatment of the enemy U-boat crew was very well done. Can the same positive treatment ever be done for German infantry or armor units?
                Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

I really liked Cross of Iron but think the book is much much better. Wish they made movies back then like now so I could see a 5 hour version of the movie.
                  Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

The only thing I didnt like about Stalingrad was the awfull dubbing. That nearly ruined the film for me. I also think the film was a thousand times better than Enemy at the Gates.

Two great German films are Downfall and The Bridge.
                    Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wodin
                      The only thing I didnt like about Stalingrad was the awfull dubbing. That nearly ruined the film for me. I also think the film was a thousand times better than Enemy at the Gates.

Rubbing salt in my eyes would be more entertaining that Enemy at the Gates.
                      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

I didn't "hate" Enemy at the Gates, but frankly, the second I saw that girls bare ass, and her having sex in the middle of a war zone in the midst of a bunch of total strangers, the film was effectively ruined for me.

It could have been a better film, but in to many instances like that one, they wrecked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries
                          I didn't "hate" Enemy at the Gates, but frankly, the second I saw that girls bare ass, and her having sex in the middle of a war zone in the midst of a bunch of total strangers, the film was effectively ruined for me.

It could have been a better film, but in to many instances like that one, they wrecked it.
                          I've always wondered how she kept her underwear so clean.
                          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Wodin
                            I agree. The film was fairly good. But the dubbing was really awfull.

Die Brücke(The Bridge) is one of the greatest WW2 films I have ever seen.

Best Regards
                            Fatih
                            "A nation which makes the final sacrifice for life and freedom does not get beaten." - Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

But the girl in question is Rachel Weisz, so there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X