ACG Movie Review: El Alamein - In the Line of Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACG Movie Review: El Alamein - In the Line of Fire

We haven't done a movie review in a while, so I went up to the library and found this little gem. It is an Italian film which covers the Italian participation in the Battle of El Alamein. It is not a big budget flick, so don't expect large set piece battles...but it does a good job of giving some insight into the men and conditions of the Italian forces there.

Worth a look.

ACG Movie Review - El Alamein

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

I also stumbled upon this movie recently. While not action-packed, it is a good movie covering the Italians and their experiences in North Africa around the El Alamein battles. Uniforms, equipment and weapons were very accurate.

The only complaint I had with the movie was that I wish the night battle scene was better lit...couldn't see a thing (so I guess it was pretty realistic!).

Well worth the rental.

Semper Fi!
    Scott
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

Col. Lewis B. Puller
    01 DEC 50, Koto-Ri, Korea

Comment

You seen the 70's era El Alamein? The Bersglri troopers really give a good account of themselves. Cheap quality film and props, but the story and acting are amazing.
      Last edited by Paul Mann III; 28 Apr 07, 12:25.
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I think I got this movie...well acted, not much action......but a decent movie for it's time.
        Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
        In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
        Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

I just watched "Gods & Generals" back to back with "Gettysburg". 8-hours of Civil War action! It only took a half a bottle of Cognac to get through it Duvall and Sheen as Lee, who do ya'll think was better? Half of my family is from Virginia, and I vote Sheen on the accent quality. Duvall is a mastered military actor, but his voice just sounded off with the southern in it. The cannon scene on day 3 of Gettysburg is supposed to be the loudest noise recorded in North America. Some 160+ cannon firing in order. It gives my 800-watt 6 channel surround sysem a reason to exist.
          Last edited by Paul Mann III; 28 Apr 07, 12:26.
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

yep, good movie.

only historic discrepancy I noticed, was the horse scene. of course Mussolini's horse never arrived in front line (it was sent to Tripoli for the Duce's planned parade in Cairo, ha!)...

very nice scenes, I liked the sniper/mortar one.

very realistic movie. it shows also how much Montgomery is an overrated General... not winning earlier against the DAK and the poor, unfer, ill-equipped, disorganised and badly-led italians...
            "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

I've had it on DVD for a while, It's rather easy to find. Usually in a pack of other low budget war films for $5.00 or so.
              Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

I liked it. It really shows how the Italians were fighting a war as incompetently managed as possible. They did make some brave stands though, particularly the Gunners. Contrary to the stereotype of the 'surrendering Italian,' Italian gunners often died beside their guns, making the British pay a big price for taking out a Great War field piece.
                I want to get a copy of Iron Hulls Iron Hearts for a good view on Italian armor. Maybe it'll get here by the time Advanced Tobruk 3 is out.....

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
                  I've had it on DVD for a while, It's rather easy to find. Usually in a pack of other low budget war films for $5.00 or so.
                  Indeed, it's obscure, but easily located if you look. Got mine at Wal-Mart...

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X