The Sergeant in War movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
    Vic Morrow in Combat! beats any sarge from Band of Brothers, or any other, real or fake...

Battleground has the best Hard-Sarge ever...

The Sarge in The Story of G.I. Joe would be a very close second.

All other comers are directly stolen from the originals...
    so really don't support an 82nd Trooper who was real and the portrayal of him In We were soldiers Once, just leaves you cold.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Paul,

Battleground has the best Hard-Sarge ever...
      James Whitmore playing Platoon Sergeant Kinnie.

The Sarge in The Story of G.I. Joe would be a very close second.
      Freddie Steele playing Sgt. Steve Warnicki.

Cheers,
      Dan.
      So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

so really don't support an 82nd Trooper who was real and the portrayal of him In We were soldiers Once, just leaves you cold.
        The character portrayed has not been clearly depicted. As I understand it, they mooshed it up a bit.

In addition, Plumley's name isn't on any 4-Jump rosters that I've seen...
        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Diego Abatantuono playing sergente Nicola Lo Russo in Mediterraneo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterraneo_(film)
          A ME LE GUARDIE
          "Di noi tremÚ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

John Banner playing Oberfeldwebel Hans Schultz in Hogan's Heroes
            A ME LE GUARDIE
            "Di noi tremÚ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Sergeant Weaver in Force 10 from Naverone. Great sgt. and movie!
              "With great authority comes great responsibility."

Comment

The character portrayed has not been clearly depicted. As I understand it, they mooshed it up a bit.

In addition, Plumley's name isn't on any 4-Jump rosters that I've seen...
                That's because he made five jumps. Sicily, Salerno, D-Day, Market Garden, and one in Korea.

He was awarded the Master Combat Parachutist Badge with gold star (indicating his 5 jumps)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_L._Plumley
                Last edited by Lance Williams; 04 Mar 10, 22:49.
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                  That's because he made five jumps. Sicily, Salerno, D-Day, Market Garden, and one in Korea.

He was awarded the Master Combat Parachutist Badge with gold star (indicating his 5 jumps)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_L._Plumley
                  Wiki is not reliable for this kind of check.

He does not appear on the division's 4-jump roster for World War II. Not when he was being checked out by other paratroopers from another forum.

Got any division-certified proof we could turn up? I'd be happy to see it...
                  "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Since I know a real world version of him, I have to go with Sgt. Bilko

Comment

No badges for Gliders...

Wiki is not reliable for this kind of check.

He does not appear on the division's 4-jump roster for World War II. Not when he was being checked out by other paratroopers from another forum.

Got any division-certified proof we could turn up? I'd be happy to see it...

It has been a while since I saw the movie, but I thought the good Sergeant was Glider Infantry. These poor guys had to crash land in aircraft that tended to fall apart under fire. They got no jump pay for quite a while. Would the Jump Roster include Glider Infantry?

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

It has been a while since I saw the movie, but I thought the good Sergeant was Glider Infantry. These poor guys had to crash land in aircraft that tended to fall apart under fire. They got no jump pay for quite a while. Would the Jump Roster include Glider Infantry?

Pruitt
                        No, it might not. Good point...

Also, if he made those 5 Jumps, as claimed in the film, when did he have time to ride in a Glider?

I don't have the book in front of me, but wasn't there another Sergeant Major from the other Battalion who also had served in the Airborne during WWII? Or am I confused. I want to say the guy's last name was Scott...

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                          Klaudia Tanner
                          by casanova
                          During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                          Yesterday, 23:56
                        • Karri
                          Doom Patrol
                          by Karri
                          Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                          Yesterday, 23:55
                        • Nikki
                          Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                          by Nikki
                          Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                          Yesterday, 23:03
                        Working...
                        X