Saving Private Ryan opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Private Ryan opinions

Americans feel free to give your opinion on the movie. I am mainly looking for input from foreigners though, especially Europeans, and more especially Germans. I know there are some Hollywood moments in it. I know there are some flaws and mistakes but would still like to hear your opinions about the movie. Tell what you like and don't like. Tell your impression you get from the movie overall. Anything you want to contribute is welcome.

I have been arguing with a German guy on another site and would like to see if he is just very narrow minded since he is almost alone in his views compared to everyone else. He does have some valid points about the movie but some very odd views as well and I would like to see other opinions to see if there is actually something there or if he is imagining it.

Thanks in advance.
    Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

I have a love/hate relationship with that movie, I love it because it's about one of my favourite historical period (the Battle of Normandy) and because it beats everything that was done previously but on the other hand the more I see that famous opening sequence the more I dislike it, Spielberg turned war into an hollywood show for pop-corn eating audiences...I mean SPR/Jurassic Park same diff. Of course theres also all the historical inaccuracies/errors but they all have been discussed over and over again since then and quite frankly I've had enough (or have I? )
    Last edited by Boonierat; 17 Feb 06, 01:09.

Comment

Discussed over here? I haven't seen anybody discuss the movie in the year I have been here.

What do you mean when you say "hollywood show for pop-corn eating audiences...I mean SPR/Jurassic Park same diff?"

Comment

I mean exactly that, Spielberg turns war into entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat
          Sorry but I still don't understand your meaning. Do you mean he made war look like fun? If so then I didn't find it entertaining.

Comment

I think Boonierat is trying to say is that Spielberg made a film too simplistic. I too, like Boonerrat, have a love hate relationship with this film for the same reasons as mention. The battle at the end was a joke. But I do think that Spielberg did realise the mistake he made, and redeem himself with the Band of Brothers series.

Comment

The film was given the Normandie Medal from the Vets.

Who cares what I have t say on the matter, I'd have to have a lot of f**king gaul to think my opinion was more important than theirs.

I thought the opening sequence was brutal, and horrific. I recall the shock on the faces of the audience. I think that says enough. Omaha wasn't "fun".

Sure there was some technical gaffes, ever see a film that didn't have any? No didn't think so.

I compare SPR with worthless **** like Windtalkers, and suddenly, yeah, SPR IS a damn good film. I compare it with **** like Pearl Harbour, and yeah, SPR IS a damn good film.

There are very few films I enjoyed paying for gladly, but this is one of them. It sits beside my copy of The Longest Day and does it as an equal.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Thanks for everything so far.

I will give some more detail for discussion. I am arguing with the guy about some stuff he views in an odd way (it seems to many others on the board).

These are some of his statements (maybe not word for word but at least accurate):

1) The movie is patriotic, flag waving, American propaganda.

2) Spielberg tries to demonize the Germans and make the Americans seem like heroes.

3) The family threatening German sniper and American saviors for the French family.

He has stated many times he thinks that Spielberg's intent is to give the "simple US audience American bubble gum chewing and ass kicking heroes" and "demonize the German by showing they are always at your throat or behind your back which the Americans never are."

Anybody that doesn't agree with him is "blinded by their American patriotism that is forced on them starting with the pledge in schools from a young age and all the US flag waving."

Am I really missing something and there are hidden messages to make the Germans look poorly while glorifying the Americans? Is the guy a raving idiot? He claims that many non US people can clearly see the "US popcorn cinema disguised as a supposedly realistic WW2 movie." If anybody agrees with (or understands) any of this please help explain it to me. I just don't see it.

Comment

No one's going to mistake me as a "flag waving American".

I didn't think the germans were Demonised in the film. If the guy thinks that, he's just expressing his own personal baggage through his remarks.

As for flag waving patriotism, I think that is incredibly off base.

When was the last time you saw a decent film made in Germany from the German viewpoint?

It's up to every nation, to provide their own video history. Those that don't do it, are like people that don't vote.

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with that movie, I love it because it's about one of my favourite historical period (the Battle of Normandy) and because it beats everything that was done previously but on the other hand the more I see that famous opening sequence the more I dislike it, Spielberg turned war into an hollywood show for pop-corn eating audiences...I mean SPR/Jurassic Park same diff. Of course theres also all the historical inaccuracies/errors but they all have been discussed over and over again since then and quite frankly I've had enough (or have I? )
                    I agree for the most part. Some of the action scenes were well done, but i found the dialogue atrocious (sp.). I watched SPR twice and highly doubt I will watch it again. Any day of the week I would watch "All Quiet On The Western Front" over SPR.

don't forget psycho that these are all personal opinions. if you love/hate the film then more power to ya!

edit
                    Salma Hayek! meowwwwww a definite hottie!
                    All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Originally posted by Aries
                      No one's going to mistake me as a "flag waving American".
                      very much agreed and we don't want you

I didn't think the germans were Demonised in the film. If the guy thinks that, he's just expressing his own personal baggage through his remarks.
                      our point exactly

As for flag waving patriotism, I think that is incredibly off base.
                      he seems to have a problem with the giant flag at the beginning and end but many other things too, he really HATES the bugle music

When was the last time you saw a decent film made in Germany from the German viewpoint?
                      I liked Stalingrad and would put it near the top of my warmovie list. Got a copy of Downfall (Untergang) and wished there was more combat but it was about Hitler's last days so the focus wasn't on combat anyway. Good movie too.

It's up to every nation, to provide their own video history. Those that don't do it, are like people that don't vote.
                      Exactly our point to others on the board. The German guy doesn't say this but many non US posters bring up "why don't they show the Brits and Canadians? Why don't they mention the Russians? It isn't much of a DDay movie if you don't show the Brits and Canadians."

Much bitching about the Monty is overrated comment as unnecessary from UK posters. Many also claim the movie tries to show the US as winning the war by itself because there is no mention or showing of Allied troops.

One thing I forgot to add from the German guy. He says SPR shows the same inept German stereotypes from our old 50s and 60s patriotic, flag waving, US is the best, propaganda warmovies.

It sounds almost comical to me but I would seriously like to know if this is a real European view of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrocles
                        I agree for the most part. Some of the action scenes were well done, but i found the dialogue atrocious (sp.). I watched SPR twice and highly doubt I will watch it again. Any day of the week I would watch "All Quiet On The Western Front" over SPR.

don't forget psycho that these are all personal opinions. if you love/hate the film then more power to ya!

edit
                        Salma Hayek! meowwwwww a definite hottie!
                        Yeah I have no problem whether you like the movie or not. I really like the movie and still know there are flaws in it. Obviously anybody that disagrees with my opinion is wrong though.

Seriously though, that seems to be that dudes debating technique. He presents his argument and then you try to point out where his logic seems flawed. His comeback is "you are just blinded by your US patriotism." His opinion is correct because, well, it's his opinion and he can't be wrong.

Some of his arguments just seem to be comical such as the sniper threatening the family. He says Spielberg shows the evil German sniper threatening the poor French family. The savior US soldiers try to help the family and the bad German shoots one of the US heroes. The US sniper then saves the day by shooting the bad German with a unrealistic popcorn cinema moment through his scope. The good heroic US soldiers have saved the poor family.

My counter is the Germans are probably short handed and can only spare a sniper over there and makes the area seem undefended so they can flank the enemy. There is no danger to the family because he will not waste his ammo on them and will not give away his position by firing on them. The GIs show up and everybody is against helping the family except Vin Diesel because they have a job to do. VD gets shot and they get the German sniper. They do not help the family in any way but just do their job, fighting the enemy.

I contend that my explanation is more logical than his but he says his impression from the scene is correct because I am a blind US patriot.

edit note: haven't had a single skank vote for Salma yet

Comment

The Longest Day was a superb film that showed the entire landing front to back top to bottom and all services and nations. In short, I haven't seen anything yet to beat it.

A cast of scores of top notch actors too.

But that's just the way it was written.

It could have been written many ways. But it was based off a heck of a book, that felt like doing the entire landing.

In my library I have dozens of great books, that could all make excellent films, and all have only American content. But that's just the author having chosen a topic that was that focused.

As a film, I liked it. I once saw a web page that itemised all the technical errors. To say the least, it was an awesome barrage of anal nitpicking.
                          The guy likely would feel right at home fact checking Steel Panthers OOBs

Comment

One thing that was pointed out to us. Not one single MG42 in a group of soldiers from 2nd SS Das Reich? They were pushing around the flak gun but no MG42?

There are numerous history and gun nuts on the board and none of us noticed it until pretty recently someone brought it up during all of our technical and tactical nitpickings. I can't believe I didn't notice that before.
                            Last edited by Psycho; 17 Feb 06, 12:05.

Comment

Excellent movie.
                              Excellent reminder.
                              0% historical value.
                              AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                              The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X