X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tater
    Sort of like a Gay Republican.
    like.. Karl Rove?
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

I'll probably see this on Saturday and will be back with my thoughts about it.
      Publisher
      Armchair General Magazine
      Weider History Group

Comment

Munich-the movie was a very long and very bloody violent movie, but it was a well done movie, it did a good job, telling what happened after the killings at that airport in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
          You know, I realize sometimes messages can go overboard... but that is the point of most art, to portray a theme - and the idea of vengeance ultimately being bad is a very traditional theme. I can't fault it for having a message, and keep in mind, it's a message coming from a guy who's known to be a bit of a Zionist.
          Wrong. The United States did not exact vengeance on either Iraq or Afghanistan, no civilian centers were bombed out or civilians dragged out on street and summarily executed for no reason. We are not fighting GWOT in Soviet-style. Bush said that the war would be slow and deadly, cautious in approach, but devastating to our enemies.

An eye for an eye would be sending several nuclear missiles into Mecca, Medina, and other major Arab cities. The United States has the power to basically send any country into Dark Age. We are not doing that.

I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know what it is like, but if that is the message Speilberg is preaching, then I think he is wrong. Of course, he's entitled to his opinion, as I am to mine.

Dan
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772
            An eye for an eye would be sending several nuclear missiles into Mecca, Medina, and other major Arab cities. The United States has the power to basically send any country into Dark Age. We are not doing that.
            That would be 10,000 eyes for an eye. You think the death of 3,000 people on 9/11 justifies the incineration 100 times as many in the Arab world?

Originally posted by Cheetah772
            I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know what it is like, but if that is the message Speilberg is preaching, then I think he is wrong. Of course, he's entitled to his opinion, as I am to mine.

Dan
            Feel freee to report back when you've actually seen the film and formed an opinion based on that. I will do the same when I get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas Argent
              That would be 10,000 eyes for an eye. You think the death of 3,000 people on 9/11 justifies the incineration 100 times as many in the Arab world?
              That was only 3000 on that day. There are many more deaths attributable to the Islamofascists than just that one day. It isn't an AWOT (American War on Terror)...it is a GWOT.

An act such as nuking Mecca wouldn't be just an eye for an eye...it would be an eye to stop the taking of any more eyes. Just as the A-bombs used in Japan probably saved hundreds of thousands more Japanese lives than were taken in the specific attacks. For example, more Japanese died due to conventional bombings of Yokyo than died in either Hiroshima(sp?) or Nagasaki(sp?). Every city in Japan was a target for conventional bombing as long as Japan stayed at war. Which would have multiplied the A-bomb toll exponentially. Not to mention the tens of thousands of US military lives spared by the dropping of the A-bombs.

IOW, just viewing such nuke attacks vs Fundamentalist targets as mere revenge is limiting and naive. Of course, it won't happen.
              Later - Tater
              "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Originally posted by Chas Argent
                Actually, this was replied directly to Overseer's feeling that America did exact some sort of an eye for an eye attack. I merely said that America wasn't engaged in such attacks, and if she did, then the invasions would be far worse than what we see today. Since we didn't do that, it proves that America wasn't thinking about revenge, only seeks to counter what was being thrown back at her.

Feel freee to report back when you've actually seen the film and formed an opinion based on that. I will do the same when I get the chance.
                I know. I felt I had to jump in just to state that thinking America was out for an eye for an eye was just utterly silly and worthless.

Dan
                Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Every bit as much as a particular religious belief justifies the obscene murder of those 3000, celebrated openly by millions of fellow Muslims danciong in the streets.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Excellent movie and I recommend all who have an interest to go see it. Yes,...it does have the usual Spielberg "message" to it, but at least this time he does find it necessary to *drag* emotion from the audience. It is well paced and the editing and cinematography are all up to the high standard one finds in a Spielberg flim.
                    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

It is done a bit like Saving Private Ryan; it places a fictional story into a historical event. The movie is inspired by true events; not a documentary.
                      This is where I get off the Spielberg 'bus'. In order to be a true classic, (IMO) that which will last decades, it should limit 'artistic license' to 'filling in the gaps' left by history as logically as possible. Creating a fictional story turns the whole movie into just that, fiction. Any similarity to actual events is like part of the con.In the multitude of true and thoroughly entertaining stories that abound about the Normandy campaign, Speilberg couldn't help but make up his own story. This in my view is a mistake, as it usurps the voices that really deserve to be heard with his own. I understand he's working on 2 movies on Iwo Jima(with Clint Eastwood-telling the story from both sides) and a 'Band of Brothers' like series based on the Pacific theater in WW2. I hope it amounts to more than 'Steve's stories that resemble history'.
                      Last edited by macgregr; 06 Jan 06, 16:26.

Comment

Just saw it last night. An excellent film and I highly recommend it. Spielberg may have taken some liberties with historical accuracy but it is still an amazing movie. Still, my favorite Spielberg movie will always be Schindler's List. If you haven't seen Schindler's List it is a must see.
                        There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

As you may or may not know Spielberg's Munich follows 1986 Sword of Gideon staring Michael York (Logan from Logan's Run). Gideon is a TV production but is nonetheless very, very good and I wonder how Spielberg's movie compares to it. In the movie they put plastic explosives into the phone of a Palestinian terrorist boss living in Paris blowing his stupid head off but I'm curious if this is what really happened.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092038/

Last edited by MonsterZero; 07 Jan 06, 08:59.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                          --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X