Steven Spielberg’s "Munich"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Spielberg’s "Munich"

Steven Spielberg’s Munich is a very grim and realistic movie. It deals primarily with the Mossad operation to eliminate those Palestinians who planned and facilitated the Munich Massacre at the 1972 Olympics. I think Spielberg is preaching a bit…using the story as an analogy to the USA’s war against al-Qaeda and implying that “an eye for an eye” will just wind up blinding everyone. None the less, the movie is gripping. Eric Bana (Blackhawk Down, The Hulk) is great as the hit team’s leader Avi Kaufman.

Has anyone else seen this yet? Anyone with an interest in Terrorism or the history of the Arab-Israeli issue needs to see this film.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 27 Dec 05, 10:53.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Originally posted by The Doctor
    Steven Spielberg’s Munich is a very grim and realistic movie. It deals primarily with the Mossad operation to eliminate those Palestinians who planned and facilitated the Munich Massacre at the 1972 Olympics. I think Spielberg is preaching a bit…using the story as an analogy to the USA’s war against al-Qaeda and implying that “an eye for an eye” will just wind up blinding everyone. None the less, the movie is gripping. Eric Banna (Blackhawk Down, The Hulk) is great as the hit team’s leader Avi Kaufman.

Has anyone else seen this yet? Anyone with an interest in Terrorism or the history of the Arab-Israeli issue needs to see this film.
    This one is on my "to see" list, coming out Jan 26 over here. I like Eric Bana since BHD, despite Hulk

Comment

The "hit team" did make a bit of a cockup when they took out the wrong guy in Norway that led to some jail time for an individual and very bad PR for the cause

per ardua ad astra

Comment

The Norway incident isn't in the movie, but I remember that from a book I read back in the early '80s. I believe the movie fictionalizes most of the hits. It is done a bit like Saving Private Ryan; it places a fictional story into a historical event. The movie is inspired by true events; not a documentary.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Thanks for the review, it's on my list to see.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

I'm hoping to get to it soon, I hear it's a strong candidate for many best of the year lists...
            To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor
              I think Spielberg is preaching a bit…using the story as an analogy to the USA’s war against al-Qaeda and implying that “an eye for an eye” will just wind up blinding everyone.
              You know, I realize sometimes messages can go overboard... but that is the point of most art, to portray a theme - and the idea of vengeance ultimately being bad is a very traditional theme. I can't fault it for having a message, and keep in mind, it's a message coming from a guy who's known to be a bit of a Zionist.
              To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.

Comment

I have no curent plans to see this. While I admire Spielberg as one of the great creative film malkers of the century, his dark visions of events are sometimes a bit much to handle unless I'm in the right frame of mind.

I have no doubt that he has done the same brilliant work as Private Ryan and Schindler's List, but I will wait a bit before tackling this one, although eventually I will, and I will own a copy for a collection of his work that would not be complete without it.

I have felt recently that Spielberg's dark side is better represented than his lighter side. His more appealing commercial films lately have lacked the depth and punch of his darker, historically driven films.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
                  I can't fault it for having a message, and keep in mind, it's a message coming from a guy who's known to be a bit of a Zionist.
                  A Hollywood Zionist...which is probably not the same as your run-o-the-mill type Zionist. Sort of like a Gay Republican.
                  Later - Tater
                  "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

Annnd....it's another Taterism! Ta-ta!

Spielberg is sympathetic to the Jewish/Israeli cause, therefore he is a "Zionist" and by extension, a little limp-wristed as well, being the equivalent of a "gay Republican"! Of course, you left out the fact that Spielberg assigned the directorship of the concentration camp episode in Band of Brothers to an assistant director who lost family in one of those camps. Hardcore Zionist indeed!

Wow! There really are no limits to your creative psychosis, are there Tater? I think we may be way past the medication stage and into either the electro-convulsive therapy stage or back to pre-frontal lobotomy to stabilize you.

Is there any hard evidence that Spielberg, of Jewish background who may well have lost relatives in the Holocaust himself, is a "Zionist", considered by most of the world except you to be a fairly fanatical definition similar to that of a "fundamental or radical Islamic"? Is there any evidence that he is in some way gay? Is there some factual connection between religious zeal and homosexuality? Are you about to announce that all hardline Muslim terrorists, not to mention followers of Jesse Jackson and Pat Roberts are also overt homosexuals as well as religious zealots? Is the Pope, a man considered by about one billion Catholics to be the closest thing on earth to the son of God, gay because of his devotion? A zealot? IIRC, President Bush is a devout Christian - is he therefore a Christian zealot and gay as well? Mel Gibson made a spectacular motion picture about The Passion of Christ. Has anyone told him yet that he is now a zealot and gay? Or are they all merely Republicans of questionable sexual orientation?

Is there no end to your detachment from reality and your willingness to attack anything and everyone?
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 28 Dec 05, 16:47.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan
                      Annnd....it's another Taterism! Ta-ta!

Spielberg is sympathetic to the Jewish/Israeli cause, therefore he is a "Zionist" and by extension, a little limp-wristed as well, being the equivalent of a "gay Republican"! Of course, you left out the fact that Spielberg assigned the directorship of the concentration camp episode in Band of Brothers to an assistant director who lost family in one of those camps. Hardcore Zionist indeed!

Wow! There really are no limits to your creative psychosis, are there Tater? I think we may be way past the medication stage and into either the electro-convulsive therapy stage or back to pre-frontal lobotomy to stabilize you.

Is there any hard evidence that Spielberg, of Jewish background who may well have lost relatives in the Holocaust himself, is a "Zionist", considered by most of the world except you to be a fairly fanatical definition similar to that of a "fundamental or radical Islamic"? Is there any evidence that he is in some way gay? Is there some factual connection between religious zeal and homosexuality? Are you about to announce that all hardline Muslim terrorists and followers of Jesse Jackson and Pat Roberts are also overt homosexuals as well as religious zealots? Is the Pope, a man considered by about one billion Catholics to be the closest thing on earth to the son of God, gay because of his devotion? Aealot? IIRC, President Bush is a devout Christian - is he therefore a Christian zealot and gay as well? Mel Gibson made a spectacular motion picture about The Passion of Christ. Has anyone told him yet that he is now a zealot and gay? Or are they all merely Republicans of questionable sexual orientation?

Is there no end to your detachment from reality and your willingness to attack anything and everyone?
                      Ah, so now your just "trolling".

Thanks for the offer...but no thanks. With the MM "double standard" here I would get banned and you would get a promotion.
                      Later - Tater
                      "Why I have a greater affinity to Israel than to the Muslim world after 9/11: Watching a death-match fight on Animal Planet once, I found myself instinctively rooting for the mammal over the reptile."

Comment

You appear to be the only one trolling, Tater. And I don't believe the forum moderators or administrators would hold me to a lesser standard. If anyone on this forum has benefitted from extreme leniency towards aberrant anti-social behavior, it has been you.

In the meantime, may we assume that your remarks cannot be defended on any factual basis? Is there a valid relationship between religipous fervor or commitment and homosexuality as you seem to imply, or were you merely stirring things up again for your own personal pleasure?

Don't be shy and self-effacing, Tater. It's completely out of character for you.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan
                          In the meantime, may we assume that your remarks cannot be defended on any factual basis? Is there a valid relationship between religipous fervor or commitment and homosexuality as you seem to imply, or were you merely stirring things up again for your own personal pleasure?
                          Do you know what a "contrast" is.

The contrast between being from liberal, left, secular Hollywood and the conservative, religious zealotry of being a Zionist is the same as the contrast of conservative, right, religious Republican and the normally liberl, left, secular Gay lifestyle.

IOW, I doubt that Spielberg is any thing like what one would normally consider a Zionist since he is of the Hollywood elite.

Do you get it now...or will there be more of your bloviating.
                          Later - Tater

Comment

Guys can we please save this thread for discusion about the movie...
                            Publisher
                            Armchair General Magazine
                            Weider History Group

Comment

You're absolutely right, Eric. As I said, I'm torn both ways. I greatly admire Spielberg's work, and Schindler's List was a powerful film. I just don't think I'm ready for Munich at this time, but I also feel the need to see it the first time in a theater with full-sized screen and decent sound system. Bottom line is I will see it soon because anything Spielberg takes a hand in is worth the effort.

It's just that the holidays are a depressing time for me, and I hesitate to add Munich to the load.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X